Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had an 18" Magnaflow Muffler installed on my truck (Sounds GREAT Btw). Now whenever I get on the gas & there is a wall, or Jersey Barrier, on my passenger side, I hear a loud ticking noise. I've looked under the truck & can't seem to find anywhere that looks like it could be leaking.

I've read a number of posts about cracked exhaust manifolds & I'm concerned that it could just that. How can I figure out where the leak is coming from.

Also, I seems to quiet down after the truck has warmed up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey man, I have the same tapping noise on my 07 SE CC 4x4. The funny thing is that it seemed to happen after I got my Magnaflow put on... Sorry I cant help, dont know what it is eather???

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you figure it out, let me know. I'll do the same for you.

Any other ideas out there?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Check the clamp on the crossover pipe. I've gotten a bunch of those lately. It may seem tight but it could be tighter. Just a thought.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
I had both sides replaced and then another started to do it before I got rid of my lovely truck (god rest its soul). Get ready for the nationwide backorder on them. Get your order in soon.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cpaul said:
Check the clamp on the crossover pipe. I've gotten a bunch of those lately. It may seem tight but it could be tighter. Just a thought.
I will check that later this evening. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pgthe1 said:
Mine did the same thing, it was the exhaust manifold (right side) had a 1" crack :huh:
I'm really hoping that isn't the problem. Was it a pain to get fixed?

·
Registered
530 Posts
get under the truck w/ a spray bootle w/ water in it, while your truck idles and spray the entire exhaust ....it will make bubles where the leak is ... lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jkelley3209 said:
get under the truck w/ a spray bootle w/ water in it, while your truck idles and spray the entire exhaust ....it will make bubles where the leak is ... lol
I'll put some soap in it too...lol!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, mine sounds like when your truck is a low on oil, but thats not it. Im not sure if its my exhaust or something else. Im going to fill up on 91 gas this week and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The sound you are referring to is called 'rasp' and it is inherent in most free flow exhausts for the Titan. The best way to reduce it is to add resonators in the B pipes.

Your stock manifolds are likely just fine and if not you would have heard from them before the muffler swap.

BTW, if you are not a fan of rasp, stay away from long tube headers as my truck has the power tick something fierce.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sc186 said:
The sound you are referring to is called 'rasp' and it is inherent in most free flow exhausts for the Titan.
Does the sound go away as the exhaust heats up??? Mine really only does it when cold.

·
Registered
952 Posts
A.I.I.Raciing said:
What did Tim charge you to do the install? And was it worth the price for the gains?

I'm pretty sure I am going to have Tim build me my bumpers, I can get over how good his boxed frame horns look, and if the price was right, I might have him do this since I have what I believe is an exhuast leak coming from my Zoomers.

my4xride07-I thought the same thing, I was running 89, so I ran a few tanks of 91 and nothing changed, so it really want worth the extra cost.

Brian
I paid 400 bucks... because mine were a real pain., with my shock hoops and shocks in the way.... The gains are worth it :gunz: I would get some hiflow cats too... unless you like the smell of gas lol

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Not to get back on topic...
but I had the same problem after I installed my magnaflow muffler, then I noticed some bubbles around the joint when it was wet. jkelly has the right idea, soak it down, it will be obvious, touch it with a welder, problem solved.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I'm taking it to the muffler shop tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Pinhole leaks will NOT cause the rasp that you describe. Take my advice as I initially spent hundreds of dollars trying to rectify the same thing that you are experiencing after I did my exhaust.

If you want to eradicate the cold rasp, add two bullet resonators in the B pipes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
sc186 said:
Pinhole leaks will NOT cause the rasp that you describe. Take my advice as I initially spent hundreds of dollars trying to rectify the same thing that you are experiencing after I did my exhaust.

If you want to eradicate the cold rasp, add two bullet resonators in the B pipes.

Yep, my jba has that raspy tick from about 3500 rpm on up.
I'm gonna ditch the 2nd set of cats for reso's, and see what happens.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 07 does it just like (jguns2002) says his does. Does putting two resos on the B pipes fix this ticking issue? Mine did it when I had stock exhaust, just not as loud. I have an 18 inch magnaflow with a turn down and the tick is very loud when cold. It's a tick, not a rasp. Sounds like only one cylinder ticking. I am going to try and get a recording of it. Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts