Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Was Driving Down The Expressway When My Abs Vdc Limited Slip Lights Came On,and The Truck Wouldnt Move More Than Idle.to Find Out My Tail Pipe Rotted Off At The End Of The Muffler (clamp) And The Way The Exhaust Is Facing Right At The Harness,melted The Wires And Fried The Computer $2000 In Damage(57000 Miles) Anyone Else.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Your "stainless" exhaust pipe rotted through in 57000 miles? :huh: Where do you live? Do you have that much road schmoog that your exhaust rotted away?

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
HMMMM...........Pics??

A repair bill??

Show us something with details!!!

Please, this concerns me greatly!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Dont Have Pictures As It Is Still At The Dealer Waiting For The Harness And Muffler 1 Month So Far On Back Order.it Also Melted My Plasic Cover For The Shock.it Melted Right Where The Harness Goes From The Outside Of The Rail Up And Over To The Inside Of Rail.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Go to the dealer and take pics for us!! THis is very important!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I haven't posted in a while, but I am bringing this one back to the top. I too have the same problem. Mine is an '04 LE, all stock, with 56k on it. I live up here in the rust belt of VT, but this is ridiculous. Same exact issue, tailpipe rusted off right at the end of the muffler, and apparently was leaking for a while, unbeknownst to me (I love my hearing loss some days... apparently not this day). The tail harness is junk, the shock boot is melted, 4 wheel drive won't engage, all the lights are on on the dash, and dealer says TFB, even though I have the GOLD extended warranty. What a pain. For now I have just parked the truck, debating what to do. I'm thinking it is time to trade, but not sure yet, don't want to spend the $2000ish on it if I am going to trade it anyway. The hit will be about the same either way. Any one else seen this?

·
Registered
204 Posts
interesting, I clean the underside of my truck all the time. When I bought the thing, I hand painted with brush and rust oleum the entire frame and underbody, bolts. Now, I have noticed the hanger on the muffler rusted badly. all the hangers look like this. So if this broke off, I can see problems. I painted the pipes also with rust oleum and it burns to the pipes. I do this every year. seems to hold up better. I would suggest getting under the trucks and checking this out more often. mmm.. I wonder if they improved this on the 08 models.

Chris 04

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Wow. I don't have that many miles, but Upstste NY is notorious for laying down way more salt than what is needed.

Now I'm even happier I added that Magnaflow. :)

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I guess I'd better check mine!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Exhaust Melted Harness(WONT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT)

I Havent Been On For A While,but I Had The Truck Back For One Week After The Repairs,and It Sat In The Driveway Till Friday When I Drove It The First Time,when My Check Engine Light Came On,sent It Back To The Dealer And A Emmissions Ventvalve Went Bad 270.00 Dollars Later,they Said Could Still Be More Damage Happening From Melting The Wiring Harness.3 Days After That The Check Engine Light Started Blinking And Truck Was Skipping,learn To Find Out The Truck Was Misfiring,they Found Oil In The Coil Packs From Somewhere And Wanted More Money To Diagnose,was In The Middle Of A Deal To Trade In For A Gmc,told Them Not To Do Anymore Work They Cleaned Up The Oil And The Skipping Stopped And Told Me Its Only A Temporary Fix,cya Truck.good Luck Guys.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Had my driver side abs speed senser get cut not sure howit got cut ex girlfriend maybe. dealer labor part and tow truck $450

·
Registered
3 Posts
This just happened to me, tailpipe busted off at muffler. I did not think about the wiring melting underneath. Was planning to take truck in today. Now I am much more worried about driving it. This is ridiculous for a truck that is 3 years old, even if I live in upstate NY.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
This gives you a great reason to put on a catback exhaust.

·
Registered
299 Posts
wow I'm glad I added my magna flow with stainless tips

·
Registered
277 Posts
Same thing happened to my exhaust. 2004 Titan with only 36K miles on it. I noticed when I pulled in to the driveway yesterday morning that the exhaust pipe seemed to be hanging a little low. Looked underneath and the pipe had broken right off at the muffler just as others have done. I have to get under there today and check out the wiring.

Thanks for the post. Hopefully my wiring isn't melted yet.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Mine did this about 3 weeks ago. Didn't melt the harness, and wasn't even close to melting it really.

Here's my fix, cost: about $15-20

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Wow, I was thinking about posting this same problem, but thought you guys would all laugh at me.

Mine also rotted off, also about 3 weeks ago, same spot as your fix, 54. And I had the same kind of problems that the OP mentioned. The whole tail section rotated up at the rear hanger bracket and that was dumping exhaust up into the section around the tail light. The only reason that I noticed was the lens got so melted that it was sticking out about 3/4". When I took that apart, all the wiring harnesses were in pretty sorry shape, but I caught it before anything shorted, so I was able to tape things up and move on.
But yeah, this is why I bought the new tails a little while back. I have some pics on the phone, I will try to remember to upload them when I get home.

Crazy.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts