Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to O-Five for the exhaust sticky- Very informative.

Decided to dust off the Titan and see if I could actually use it again.
Been in the garage for a couple years now....It was sort of the guinea pig when Vortech was was developing their kit, and we never did get the tuning right. Havent moved it since.
Anyway, I finally made an appointment to get it in the shop for the Uprev tuning, and figured it might be wise to replace the headers/exhaust beforehand.
I have heard that the cats should be moved down, but I want to be sure it will still pass Ca. smog.
Any suggestions on header/exhaust set ups are appreciated.
Oh, its an '04 2wd

David

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think you may have to stick with jba shorties and put high flow cats behind them. Long tubes are the way to go if you can get away with it.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you may have to stick with jba shorties and put high flow cats behind them. Long tubes are the way to go if you can get away with it.
What would restrict me to shorties, and what is the advantage of LT's?
From what I gathered in the "exhaust sticky", it seemed that my model/year doesnt have cats up near the manifolds...did I get that wrong?

I'm sure there are people on here that have gone through the trial/error and could spare me the headache of doing the same.......pleeeeease?
Pretty pretty please??

David

I will Qship

·
Registered
197 Posts
What would restrict me to shorties, and what is the advantage of LT's?
From what I gathered in the "exhaust sticky", it seemed that my model/year doesnt have cats up near the manifolds...did I get that wrong?

I'm sure there are people on here that have gone through the trial/error and could spare me the headache of doing the same.......pleeeeease?
Pretty pretty please??

David

I will Qship
Your stock exhaust manifolds have catalytic converters welded to them where the manifolds meet up to the b-pipes. If i have understood the California laws right, you cannot change the catalytic converter location from stock which is why you need the JBA shorties and hi flow cats. You have resonators in the b-pipes and they are unnecessary.

Long Tubes are considered better because they produce better torque than the shorties and a more consistent power gain all the way through the rpm range.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
lt give you more bottom end tq and shorties give you more pull on the top end then lt will.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh I had the cats/resonators mixed up.
Any thoughts on moving the cats down anyway? My thinking was that if they are running hoter than normal with the blower, moving them down will not cause a fail at the emissions test (I dont need to be completely legal, just need to get by the sniffer test).
Orrr, will the shorties+high flow cats solve the concerns of burning them up and causing engine damage?

Thanks to all that posted. Much appreciated

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
if you run long tubes it will move the cats further away from the motor

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Cool! I agree with some of these guy's, i would also suggest going with the JBA Shorties & have a set of high flow cats welded to them.

These are the cat's that a lot of us on here are using:
MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters - 49-STATE & CANADA Catalytic Converters For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Also if you want to get the most performance out of it i would recommend going with an exhaust setup that is 2.25" from the header collectors back to the Y-Pipe then 3" piping to a flow through muffler & out. :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
I would have to disagree with the 2.25" to the Y. I run 2.5" b-pipe (no cats) section and my truck is running .3-.4 sec faster 0-60 than my 2.25" with hf cats I have numerous data logs to prove it . I would definitely go 2.5" in your case because you are supercharged IMO.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
well im subscribing

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Vortech... sweet. I'm looking forward to this.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I agree... If your running the Vortech than you might want to go with 2.5". The collectors on most of the headers is 2.25", so you could step it up to 2.5" in the B-Pipes. I don't think there's been enough testing done on the Vortech SC's to really be able to say what the best setup would be. :)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I agree... If your running the Vortech than you might want to go with 2.5". The collectors on most of the headers is 2.25", so you could step it up to 2.5" in the B-Pipes. I don't think there's been enough testing done on the Vortech SC's to really be able to say what the best setup would be. :)
my setup is nismo longtubes, into 2.5" b-pipes to a single 3" y-pipe then my turbo maybe a foot or two after that

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all that posted. I really appreciate the advice.
So, JBA shorties, h/f cats and 2.5".
Has anyone tried this with forced induction and not had issues with burning up the cats? I have been reading that this a problem even normally aspirated. Really concerned about damaging the engine.
Also, those cats that were suggested are 49 state- anyone know if I will get by the sniffer in Calif?
One last question please. Where is the best deal$ on this?

David

Yes Michael, your pestering did the trick :)

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Has anyone tried this with forced induction and not had issues with burning up the cats? I have been reading that this a problem even normally aspirated. Really concerned about damaging the engine.
Also, those cats that were suggested are 49 state- anyone know if I will get by the sniffer in Calif?

David

If I was you... This is how I would do the set up from the JBA headers (CARB legal and comes with sticker).
Start with JBA headers, weld 2.25" SS pipe to the collector. Next, Cut and Gut the OEM primary cats from the OEM manifold, opening housing in/outlets to sleeve over the 2.25" straight pipe, then weld in place and flange the exits. For B Pipes and HF Cats, either buy some Berk Tech B Pipes (thru Scott @ Fontana Nissan) or make hour own... 2.25" SS pipe flanged to connect to header assembly, then 2" after bend, weld on MF HF Cat #59555, spread the exit slightly and weld 2.5" SS pipe to exit end... 2" behind exit, install SS O2 bung at a slight upward angle (30 degree angle will be fine) then flange the exit end of the B Pipe. Run 2.5" mandrel bent true dual mandrel bent pipes, install free flow race mufflers even distance downstream. Driver's side muffler after the two sides of pipes meet, then passenger side downstream approx same length back. Either dump both after the passenger muffler, or cross the exit pipes and run them out the rear, passenger side exit pipe bent and passed to driver's rear with driver side exit pipe going straight to passenger rear... Throw on some resonated tips if you want... trick is to keep even length piping on both sides to mufflers, and even length piping to exits...
This will meet you ECU catalyst requirements and should not throw any SES Codes. This will also provide you the visual requirement to pass inspection as well. But, I cannot say if this will pas CA sniffer test... I would believe it to be able to pass, but haven't heard of anyone in CA having had to test with HF cats yet...

·
Registered
2,986 Posts

David

Great job Mike!!

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Those cat's are rated up to a 6.2L engine. They should work fine for the sniffer... Keep us posted! :)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts