Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Nissan Titan SV Crew Cab 5.6L Gas Engine
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Nissan Titan SV 5.6L and I am wanting to change either just the muffler on it or the whole exhaust system. I don't know which to do, I am trying to achieve a throatier sound from it than what I already have. I am not looking for something that I can't hear the radio playing while driving it but you know something a little beefier to it. What do you recommend in your past experiences with doing this? Do I change out the headers all the way back? Do I just need a different muffler system? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Cloud Sky

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,953 Posts
very few people have done exhaust on the second gens. i keep looking at the borla system because of previous vehicles i have had with borla on them but borla is super expensive. there was a thread last year with a few people commenting on what they had

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
If you just want a slightly throated sound, you could probably achieve that with a muffler swap. Plenty of folks like the Magnaflow and Borla mufflers on the Titans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are sensitive to drone do your research. I installed Magnaflow cat back 19421 on my truck few months ago. Three resonators and J pipe later it still drones on the highway around 65-70mph range. Not as bad as it once was but I can still hear it. Sounds awesome at start up and while driving around town - anything outside of 1500-1800 rpm range.
In a few days I'm going on our first camping trip this season and it will be interesting to see how it sounds when towing.

·
Premium Member
5,284 Posts
If you are sensitive to drone do your research. I installed Magnaflow cat back 19421 on my truck few months ago. Three resonators and J pipe later it still drones on the highway around 65-70mph range. Not as bad as it once was but I can still hear it. Sounds awesome at start up and while driving around town - anything outside of 1500-1800 rpm range.
In a few days I'm going on our first camping trip this season and it will be interesting to see how it sounds when towing.
It’s going to annoy you while towing as it’s only going to drone since you can’t drive around that rpm range.

Clint

Reactions: Titan~Man

·
Registered
'22 ZL1/Leaf Sold ---> '21 PR '20 P4X '06 SE '16 SS <---
2,118 Posts
A muffler shop chopped off one of my mufflers and insisted that it was legal in Texas as I'd still have the one. I managed to scare a coworker with the new setup, didn't sound horribly bad on the highway, but when I'd get on it, damn if it didn't sound better than a lot of "systems" out there. The 5.6 was able to bark out in 1/2 of it's full unmuffled glory. Other systems will sound less just by comparison as there's nothing quite like no muffled sound. Just check with your local ordinances, as you'd probably get pulled over ofter.

·
Premium Member
74,297 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Poppy, card in spokes, obnoxious sound.
COUGHboomerCOUGH.

I'll be honest though, exhaust work on something that you intend to use as a daily driver, or for long distance trips, I wouldn't recommend it. If I were to do it, I'd do an exhaust bypass valve, and I'd only use it when a sad sounding Raptor, or a fart cannon car is sitting next to me, or when a doofus is blasting their music obnoxiously loud. Having said that, I still loved the way the 5.6 sounded with one muffler deleted.

·
Premium Member
74,297 Posts

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
you can actually run with no muffler under your truck. it only requires cats and the exhaust to exit behind the farthest rear opening to the passenger cabin, by the inspection rules.

i have ran no mufflers on many vehicles and passed inspection for years.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had to have the tailpipe that connects to muffler replaced under warranty due to rattling. The replacement pipe did not have the resonator and it made mine quite a bit louder. Doesn't have any drone. I don't particularly like hearing the exhaust though so I'm been kind of PO'd about it since now I have to buy a resonator or muffler that's quieter. Raised a beef with dealer and Nissan about it and they wouldn't do anything because that's what Nissan is designating as the replacement part.

Reactions: Titan~Man

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
you can actually run with no muffler under your truck. it only requires cats and the exhaust to exit behind the farthest rear opening to the passenger cabin, by the inspection rules.

i have ran no mufflers on many vehicles and passed inspection for years.
I don't think I've ever had my exhaust checked for loudness. I know I've heard of people being cited for being "public nuisance" for loud exhaust. I figure at the worst, you'll get pulled over by a cop having a bad day. At the best, you'll realize that you miss the peace and quiet of a low growl. I actually like the stock setup on the Titan. It was quiet until I got on it, but once you had the throttle opened up, it opened up a nice little "symphony". I'd say it sounded better stock than a raptor when at WOT.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
i wish the sound the truck makes when you floor it was the normal exhaust note.

i have always done my own exhaust work previously so its very hard for me to not do stuff to this truck. i did those bilsteins and am glad i have the wrangler to tinker on or who knows how the titan would be. i don't want to change stuff to much till the warranty is over

·
Premium Member
2013 Nissan Titan pro 4x
613 Posts
I have a 2019 Nissan Titan SV 5.6L and I am wanting to change either just the muffler on it or the whole exhaust system. I don't know which to do, I am trying to achieve a throatier sound from it than what I already have. I am not looking for something that I can't hear the radio playing while driving it but you know something a little beefier to it. What do you recommend in your past experiences with doing this? Do I change out the headers all the way back? Do I just need a different muffler system? Thanks for any help you can offer. View attachment 560121
Go jba cat back if you put headers
Borla if you keep the rest stock

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Go jba cat back if you put headers
Borla if you keep the rest stock
I talked to somebody about getting the PCM flashed and programmed with Uprev Cajun Joe sent me an email with what it does and how it works along with pricing. It's not bad as far as the price goes doing it pay by a check is $600.00 so I didn't think that was bad. What I may do is what you recommended and then also do this performance tuning to it to gain up to 40 more HP as well. I have looked into the Borla jba cat-back system and the headers would be a bit pricey but the results would be fascinating too so I definitely am considering doing this soon. Thank you so much for your advice apetro02 I really appreciate you.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i wish the sound the truck makes when you floor it was the normal exhaust note.

i have always done my own exhaust work previously so its very hard for me to not do stuff to this truck. i did those bilsteins and am glad i have the wrangler to tinker on or who knows how the titan would be. i don't want to change stuff to much till the warranty is over
I'm with you on that it does Roar like a lion when you get on the ole girl she comes out of the gate like a bat out of hell! I too wish that sound would be the normal note. People would be like what the heck do you have under the hood of that Titan LOL!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts