Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered that my exhaust broke on my '06 Titan (34K) at the joint just aft of the muffler. My local Vespia garage is suggesting replacement from the muffler back to the tune of $500.00.

I don't know what muffler they use but is there one that is recommended? I am not looking for anything louder or trying to get big performance. (Nor do I want my truck to sound like a Prius. LOL)

Man, I was surprised how rusty the exhaust is.

Hector

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Yeah the OEM exhaust is T-409 stainless steel (garbage) and the welds aren't even that so it is time for an after market cat-back system. IMO it isn't worth investing any money into that exhaust. The 04-06 are restrictive and your not going to see all the benefits if you just replace the muffler. You should be able to find one for 500.00 bucks but that isn't going to include installation.

·
Premium Member
76,981 Posts
You can find your choice of brand named mufflers and the piping after plus the tip (optional) for much, much less than $500. It may require you to order online and have a shop install it, but shop cost shouldn't run you over a c-note...and that's giving the shop guys plenty of time at a premium rate.

There are a ton of options for a great replacement.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
wow just from the muffler back was $500. Where are you from? I had my exhaust replaced about a foot befor the muffler with a magnaflow and a tip otd for $250

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 05 exhaust rusted off at the mechanical joint that joins muffler and tailpipe. I had the local muffler shop make an adapter to reconnect them. The muffler was ok and the tailpipe was ok other than the bolt up joint. It cost me a total of $60. It worked out fine until I had to replace the pipe in front of the muffler. I then ordered OEM from ABC Nissan part out of AZ. the system from cat back was only a little over $400 and same shop installed it for $75. The Nissan dealership quoted me $1200 to replace it.
Doug

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great info. I am going to start at my local muffler shop and see if they can do something with the joint since the rest of the system seems OK. If not I'll start looking at after market exhaust that are not too loud.

Hector

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called a local muffler shop. They said if the rest of the system seems OK they have done the sleeve fix on a lot of Titans. Total out the door will be less than $100.00.

I'll take it.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Hector

·
Registered
281 Posts
Shoulda got a banks! (;

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought about but for $90 I am good to go. Guy said system still has a lot of miles left.

Hector

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nice.. Good goin.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. The advice here saved m e a few bucks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just had mine break in the EXACT same location on my 06. Garbage welds.

Little late, but glad you didnt spend a lot if you wanted it replaced. I had a muffler shop quote me $50 to weld back on the tail pipe section. I looked over the exhaust and it looked like i would break 1-2 more welds @ 50 each... I decided to go with a JBA for many reasons.

But yes, your best bet is just have them patch/sleeve/weld the broken area. The piping should last, the welds wont.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts