Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after 65,000 miles and the muffler flange rotting out I finely pulled the trigger on the magna flow muffler. Had it welded in to the stock B pipes and a new stock tailpipe with tip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
How do you like the sound, compared to stock?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you like the sound, compared to stock?
On startup its louder than stock. When it was first put on it didn't seem much louder than stock at idle, maybe a little deeper. Its been on for almost a week and I've put some miles on it. Its deeper at idle and when accelerating or when the engine is under a load it has a deep sound to it. going down the highway at cruising speed I only get marginally more drone than stock. I'm sure as the muffler breaks in more it will get louder but that's ok. I have absolutely no CIS. The one thing I did notice is that under moderate to heavy acceleration I get a whistle or shriek. When I first heard it I thought I was starting to spin my tires. But I think its coming from my dual tip. I had a guy ride along side of me and he said it was coming from the tail pipe area and only happened under hard acceleration.

Muffler number was 12580

·
Premium Member
21,202 Posts
I wish I had gone with the 22" muffler instead of the 18" Magnaflow. Drone and CIS is bad with the 18".

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I had gone with the 22" muffler instead of the 18" Magnaflow. Drone and CIS is bad with the 18".
Yeah, I think I made the right choice. I think the drone will get a little louder once the muffler breaks in, I don't think I'll have a problem with CIS.

·
Vendor
7,924 Posts
Most mufflers will be ok with CIS and drone, even Flowmaster as long as the stock bpipes and manifolds are in place. Once headers are introduced its a different ballgame and muffler choice becomes critical then.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
On startup its louder than stock. When it was first put on it didn't seem much louder than stock at idle, maybe a little deeper. Its been on for almost a week and I've put some miles on it. Its deeper at idle and when accelerating or when the engine is under a load it has a deep sound to it. going down the highway at cruising speed I only get marginally more drone than stock. I'm sure as the muffler breaks in more it will get louder but that's ok. I have absolutely no CIS. The one thing I did notice is that under moderate to heavy acceleration I get a whistle or shriek. When I first heard it I thought I was starting to spin my tires. But I think its coming from my dual tip. I had a guy ride along side of me and he said it was coming from the tail pipe area and only happened under hard acceleration.

Muffler number was 12580
Thank you for the review. It sounds like you found a good replacement for the stock muffler. Can you unbolt the tip to see if the whistle goes away? My stock exhaust had some drone between 1400 and 1800 rpm, worst at 1500. It also had an embarrassing CIS noise on half throttle and up. I got a new catback when the muffler rusted away and I'm excited to hear how it sounds, but unfortunately I got some health issues so the truck has been parked in the garage for 3 months now, waiting for the install.
Something I actually liked with the broken muffler was the deep gurgling rumble in fifth gear and lockup at 1100-1200 rpm. I hope the new exhaust will have some of that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the review. It sounds like you found a good replacement for the stock muffler. Can you unbolt the tip to see if the whistle goes away? My stock exhaust had some drone between 1400 and 1800 rpm, worst at 1500. It also had an embarrassing CIS noise on half throttle and up. I got a new catback when the muffler rusted away and I'm excited to hear how it sounds, but unfortunately I got some health issues so the truck has been parked in the garage for 3 months now, waiting for the install.
Something I actually liked with the broken muffler was the deep gurgling rumble in fifth gear and lockup at 1100-1200 rpm. I hope the new exhaust will have some of that.
Unfortunately I cannot. I have the tip welded to the tailpipe. It was 40 dollars for the tip and installed. I'm kind of frugal, so to waste the money having it cut off to see, isn't worth it to me. It might go away once I switch out the manifolds and other assorted plumbing but for right now I have other things to spend money on. I am glad I found the muffler and I'm also glad I spent the extra on stainless instead of aluminized. The plumbing from the muffler to the front will outlast the aluminized section of tailpipe without a problem.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Yeah, I'm going with stainless all the way from the cats. i just managed to remove the old exhaust and it's the worst I've seen on a modern vehicle. Big hole on the top side of the muffler. The rear clamps was just rusty blobs. I didn't even try to unbolt them. I wish they could put an end to this road salt madness. Luckily the rest of the truck has suvived pretty well. Rear bumper is in the danger zone though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm going with stainless all the way from the cats. i just managed to remove the old exhaust and it's the worst I've seen on a modern vehicle. Big hole on the top side of the muffler. The rear clamps was just rusty blobs. I didn't even try to unbolt them. I wish they could put an end to this road salt madness. Luckily the rest of the truck has suvived pretty well. Rear bumper is in the danger zone though.
Yeah, road salt is bad here in Michigan too. Its a killer on the body for sure. I like winter up here though so I accept it as part of the deal. my stock bumpers aren't to bad but I am starting to notice that the chrome piece in the front middle is starting to show some rust discoloration. I still love the T though. If I wrecked her today I'd go out and buy another one tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts