Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the Nissan hitch? I know most of you guys use the Equalizer, but I can get the Nissan one for 199$ right now (more than half off the Equalizer). Anyway, I have never used a hitch like this before, but I will be towing my parent's TT in a few months and will need one. Came across this deal and it will be real hard to pass up.

Basically, will the Nissan hitch get the job done safely, and why would I want to pay twice the price for the Equalizer? Along with the twice the price argument, does the Nissan hitch have built in sway control like the Equalizer, or would I have to add that separately (and making the cost issue mute)?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Super Moderator
160,820 Posts
The Nissan WD hitch looks a lot like my Reese hitch. For that reason, I do not believe it will include any type of anti-sway, which is one of the benefits of the Equalizer hitch. The way the Equalizer is set up, it builds the anti-sway into it. On my Reese, I have a simple friction anti-sway mechanisim which works fine for me. The Nissan hitch doesn't even seem to have the option of doing an anti-sway device such as the one I use. :dunno:

Is the Nissan hitch safe? Probably as much as any other. Will it give you the best service and experience? Probably not. Is that worth saving a few bucks? It wouldn't be to me.

Reactions: RxZ

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. After looking into it a little more, the deal isn't as great as I thought. Mainly for the above reason. The Nissan WD Hitch does not have the sway control like the Equalizer. My parents and I pretty much will share their TT this summer, so we will both need the hitch. I think we will just go together and each pay half for the Equalizer. That should solve the issue of cost and we get a good hitch.

·
Super Moderator
160,820 Posts
Sounds like a much better plan. It'll make the experience of towing much more pleasant. A good hitch, properly set up makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sounds like a much better plan. It'll make the experience of towing much more pleasant. A good hitch, properly set up makes all the difference in the world.
Absolutely!!!

-Lab

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Thanks for the input. After looking into it a little more, the deal isn't as great as I thought. Mainly for the above reason. The Nissan WD Hitch does not have the sway control like the Equalizer. My parents and I pretty much will share their TT this summer, so we will both need the hitch. I think we will just go together and each pay half for the Equalizer. That should solve the issue of cost and we get a good hitch.
Awesome plan!!!! Just be sure keep a big adjustable wrench in the TT's storage compartment because if your trucks are different height in the rear you may find yourselves readjusting the L-Brackets to where you have your setting and they have theirs... It's VERY easy to do though.

RVWholesalers.com sells the Equalizer cheap.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome plan!!!! Just be sure keep a big adjustable wrench in the TT's storage compartment because if your trucks are different height in the rear you may find yourselves readjusting the L-Brackets to where you have your setting and they have theirs... It's VERY easy to do though.

RVWholesalers.com sells the Equalizer cheap.
Good tip. Both of our trucks are stock, but the hitch on the Titan is at least 6 inches higher than on his Z71. We took their old TT out once it it took some shenanigans to get the trailer level.

·
Super Moderator
37,030 Posts
Just a heads up. The Equalizer will fit on MOST TV's. It would not fit on mine. My Trailer hitch was to low. Be sure and check before spending money like a drunken Titan owner.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Just a heads up. The Equalizer will fit on MOST TV's. It would not fit on mine. My Trailer hitch was to low. Be sure and check before spending money like a drunken Titan owner.
Rob, you just need to flip the Shank over upside down for Rise then... My Shank is up to 6" Drop/10" Rise so if I flip it over upside down, my hitch receiver can be 10" lower than the Trailer coupler and the Equalizer would still be level. It'll work on a Minivan too. :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
37,030 Posts
Rob, you just need to flip the Shank over upside down for Rise then... My Shank is up to 6" Drop/10" Rise so if I flip it over upside down, my hitch receiver can be 10" lower than the Trailer coupler and the Equalizer would still be level. It'll work on a Minivan too. :cheers:

Negitive ... The Trailer's hitch is to low (the one my TT). I purchased one and was lucky to be able to bring it back. I needed a floor jack to get the butt of my truck high enough to put the spring bars on the hitch.

I have set a few WD hitches up and this was a first for me too. :)

Come on out to San Diego and I will show you sometime .. :teethmast

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Negitive ... The Trailer's hitch is to low (the one my TT). I purchased one and was lucky to be able to bring it back. I needed a floor jack to get the butt of my truck high enough to put the spring bars on the hitch.

I have set a few WD hitches up and this was a first for me too. :)

Come on out to San Diego and I will show you sometime .. :teethmast
I use a 6x6 wood block and sometimes combined with a 2x4 underneath my TT's tongue jack, I also picked up an extended foot pad from the RV Shop... ... It allows me to lift the rear of the Armada up to the moon and easily connect the bars. I've literally had the Armada's rear tires barely touching the ground. For my boat trailer, I have to use a huge Masonry Block under the tongue jack just to get the coupler high enough to clear a 6" drop shank.

Or would a 6" or 9" Drop Shank fix it?? I bought my Equalizer shankless and ordered a 6" Drop Shank seperately.

Demco - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts and Accessories

There's also the snap-lever that's supposed to help get the bars up there in tight places: http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/equalizer-snap-up-lever-14-3217.html

·
Super Moderator
160,820 Posts
I don't have an Equalizer, but I've had to really crank the back end of my truck up pretty high to get the bars on my Reese hitch hooked up. Especially now since I've started to run it with more pre-load. I use these under my jack most of the time, though I carry some wood blocks in addition in case I've had to use all my leveling blocks under the stabilizers.

Lynx Levelers RV Camper Motorhome 10 pack - $28.39

·
Registered
512 Posts
Good tip. Both of our trucks are stock, but the hitch on the Titan is at least 6 inches higher than on his Z71. We took their old TT out once it it took some shenanigans to get the trailer level.
Just wanted to throw this out there since I went through this once.

A friend and I both used to pull the same toy hauler. He had an Avalanche Z something or other, and of course I the titan. The height difference between the trucks is probably going to be the same as yours.

We wound up buying a second shank and head, mine needed to be bolted in the lowest holes of the shank for proper set up. Since his truck was so much lower then mine his was set 2 or 3 holes higher on the shank, in turn we also had to lower the L brackets for him whenever he towed it.

·
Super Moderator
37,030 Posts
I use a 6x6 wood block and sometimes combined with a 2x4 underneath my TT's tongue jack, I also picked up an extended foot pad from the RV Shop... ... It allows me to lift the rear of the Armada up to the moon and easily connect the bars. I've literally had the Armada's rear tires barely touching the ground. For my boat trailer, I have to use a huge Masonry Block under the tongue jack just to get the coupler high enough to clear a 6" drop shank.

Or would a 6" or 9" Drop Shank fix it?? I bought my Equalizer shankless and ordered a 6" Drop Shank seperately.

Demco - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts and Accessories

There's also the snap-lever that's supposed to help get the bars up there in tight places: Equalizer Snap-up Lever - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts
HEHE ... I have a 6X10 and 2X8 stacked as my footing with electric jack. The problem is again that the Hitch has to be mounted to low. Keep in mind I also have Airlift airbags to lift the butt of my truck higher.

I can do it but carrying a floor jack every where I go would get annoying .. :lol:

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
HEHE ... I have a 6X10 and 2X8 stacked as my footing with electric jack. The problem is again that the Hitch has to be mounted to low. Keep in mind I also have Airlift airbags to lift the butt of my truck higher.

I can do it but carrying a floor jack every where I go would get annoying .. :lol:
Electric jack... phssshhh... That's your problem right there. :rofl: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
160,820 Posts
Hey, don't go ragging on electric jacks. I love mine! :lol:

Reactions: RobKar

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Rob just curious what kind of TT do you have that sits that low?? Mine sits as low as they come, I thought. I use a Reese set up and use a 6x6 block under the jack. I also carry a 4 ton floor jack with me with traveling with the TT. Ever tried using the Titan's scissor jack to lift the TT and change a tire on the side of the road?? Me neither and I don't plan on trying.

·
Super Moderator
37,030 Posts
I have an older HB Alumalight. Unlike the TT's today, the axles are not stright out. It sits low because they were going after as much gas millage as they could. The outside is showing its age a little, the inside still looks almost brand new.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts