Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
earlier this summer i was spraying my house and got waterbased exterior house paint overspray all over the hood and light speckles along the front driver side of the truck. Ive tried clay bar but that wont touch it. any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Clay bar should take it off, I did the same while painting and got it all over my sons Mustang, took it all off.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Just an FYI about clay bars. All clay bars are not created equal. There are three categories- "light", "mild" and "aggressive". The one's you purchase at Walmart etc. are for "light" applications. Go to a speed shop or automotive paint store for an aggressive clay bar. It will work.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Alternately, you could see what a detail shop would charge to do a hand buff and compound on it. Had to do that to a car of mine years ago when a paint bucket flipped off the back of a truck. Never was able to run down the truck to make them pay for it, either, after having to do all the driving ninja moves to avoid hitting the actual big metal paint bucket hurling backwards at me.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Pick up a nanoskin sponge and some ONR concentrate. The sponge replaces a clay bar and is easier to use. I took off some serious overspray on a '71 truck the other day with one.

You could get it detailed by a shop or spend that $100 on your own DA polisher (harbor freight) and all the extras for about the same price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had some exterior house paint overspray on an old truck and I used goof-off. It worked good and didn't hurt the vehicle at all. I'd be sure to test it on somewhere I didn't care about before trying it anywhere obvious.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If, by any chance, you have access to a pressure washer with a built in hot water heater, it will take it right off.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,956 Posts
If you have a random orbit sander you can buy polish pads for it and the necessary polish. That will do the job. I buy my polish pads from Adam's Polishes.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Really tough overspray may require something a bit more... aggressive.

I used to detail cars on the side. Someone brought a Chevy Suburban to me with yellow road paint on the rocker panels. That stuff is TOUGH to get off. It sticks like STINK!

Lacquer thinner and a lot of rubbing. It didn't hurt the paint at all and we then followed up with a full clean and waxing. Good as new. Sometimes you just have to resort to the big boy chemicals... :dunno:

If you try this... as was said... test it on a spot you won't see first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Clay bar should remove it, but for tough over spray you can use a plastic scraper make sure to do it gently and polish the paint afterwards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts