Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not usually one to to talk negative about a business. I do my best to handle matters privately and on my own, as I know everyone's experiences are different. Some of you probably have seen the thread about the new wheels and tires I had put on exactly one week ago today. Now, I didn't buy the wheels and tires from discount tire, but the place I bought em from had just recently opened and are in the process of moving into their new shop. Their equipment is trickling in. When my wheels and tires arrived they had not gotten in their balancing machine yet so they paid discount tire to mount and balance my tires. Well at first I thought they had done a great job until I got the truck over 60 mph and it became very obvious the tires were not balanced properly, so I took it back today and had them rebalance them. No big deal, they were able to get them where they needed to be. When I got to my next destination I noticed that they had left the white adhesive backing from the previous stick on weights all over the inside of my wheels. I also noticed that they had failed to put one of my valve stem caps on, they put an OEM style gray valve stem cap on one wheel and a different style chrome colored valve stem cap on another wheel. So basically I when I went to discount tire I had 4 matching valve stem caps when I left I had 3 that were different and 1 that was missing. So back to discount tire I went to get the caps that came with my aftermarket wheels. I forgot to mention to the staff about the adhesive backing all over my wheels on the return trip to get the caps. No big deal, I'll just clean it off myself. So a few minutes ago I go out to start cleaning the adhesive off my wheels. On two of my wheels I notice a hairline scratch around the perimeter of my wheels, on one of my wheels I notice to divots along the outer edge in the finish of my wheels that were attempted to be hidden with what looked like a black sharpie marker. So I start inspecting all the wheels and find a scratch ( gouge) about two inches long through the black finish and also colored in with a black marker. I have had these exactly one week and I already feel like they are ruined due to carelessness of discount tire. I am infuriated, and completey dissatisfied with discount tire.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I used to work at discount tire. Just Call the corporate office and tell them your story and they should try to make it right

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I went back to discount tire today and had the manager look at my wheels. He offered to have a mobile wheel repair guy repair my wheels....on them. He agreed that the damage was caused by them and was very apologetic. I guess that's about all I could ask for. He guarantees my wheels would like like new when the job was done.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
They are good at fixing mistakes and working with you. Not a better tire and wheel shop around for price and service imo. Can't beat a shop that will price match then beat their competitors

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I just don't understand why they wouldn't be careful the first time around. Same thing happened to me at Martin Tire. The "tech" doing the alignment scratched the wheels and the edges of all the rims. The rims had dimples from the machine. The guy doing the balance and rotation dropped all the lug nuts on the rims when removing them with the air gun, and yes I ended up with all different valve caps. So of course I talked to the manager which took pictures and talked to main office and I ended up with a new rims. Just don't get why go through all that trouble if all they have to do is pay attention. What I do know I get a manager to do a walk through of the wheels I take pictures Then it goes into the shop for balancing. So far so good.

·
Super Moderator
93,641 Posts
They are good at fixing mistakes and working with you. Not a better tire and wheel shop around for price and service imo. Can't beat a shop that will price match then beat their competitors
My same experience for over 20 years.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess everyone makes mistakes sometimes, most important thing is how you handle making it right. I guess I'll find out when their guy fixes my wheels. I kinda see discount as the fast food restaurant of the tire stores. They try to get people in and out so quickly it seems that there isn't much time to be careful. Anyway, like I said , I can't really complain about how they handled the issue. The manager accepted fault right away and was apologetic and assured me that this kind of thing was not acceptable. As long as they get my wheels fixed, I guess I can forgive and forget and say theyre ok in my book. However, I guarantee the next time someone puts a wrench anywhere near my new wheels they'll be thoroughly inspected before the truck leaves the parking lot.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Fuk discount tire!!!!!! Ruined my hummer 3, not completely but still. I have a solid axle swapped h3 with locking hubs. They unlocked one of the hubs and on a road trip it destroyed one side of my axle. Hub, spindle, bearings, seals, axle...all destroyed. $1000 fix. **** them.

My gf has a bmw z4... Chipped the hell out of 2 rims.

Lastly and worse...I have a lotus elise and it has $3k rims on it.....gouged the the outer edges of the rim. I complained like hell and nothing got done. I'd like to beat the shiit out of all of them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That escalated quickly

·
Super Moderator
37,148 Posts
Fuk discount tire!!!!!! Ruined my hummer 3, not completely but still. I have a solid axle swapped h3 with locking hubs. They unlocked one of the hubs and on a road trip it destroyed one side of my axle. Hub, spindle, bearings, seals, axle...all destroyed. $1000 fix. **** them.

Lastly and worse...I have a lotus elise and it has $3k rims on it.....gouged the the outer edges of the rim. I complained like hell and nothing got done. I'd like to beat the shiit out of all of them.
I guess it was not bad enough the first time, or the second time... You needed a 3rd?

My hands up on this one ...

Reactions: JLG7820

·
Registered
140 Posts

Haha, yeah you seem like a reasonable customer. Discount tire is for the masses, if you're spending thousands on custom wheels, why would you then take them to a high-volume shop that works on steel Camry wheels all day and expect them to treat your wheels with care? You got predictable results all three times but you never changed your behavior...its on you.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,527 Posts

Reactions: COREYMFT

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Eh, every time I've gone to DC they take care of my wheels. Most of the time I avoid going in on Saturday when everyone and their mother tries to get their tires rotated so they'll let me stand on the floor and watch/chat. That usually motivates them to be a little more careful.

They've also been really good about fixing mistakes. They broke a couple studs one time and replaced no questions asked. When it felt like my tires weren't balanced right after having them do it I took it back and they let me watch them run all 4 to make sure it was right.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Haha, yeah you seem like a reasonable customer. Discount tire is for the masses, if you're spending thousands on custom wheels, why would you then take them to a high-volume shop that works on steel Camry wheels all day and expect them to treat your wheels with care? You got predictable results all three times but you never changed your behavior...its on you.
Isn't he the same guy who sank a ton of money into a supercharged titan?

No offense Kenny.... Just putting things into perspective.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
He said his H3, enough said.....

Reactions: ryno4x

·
Registered
447 Posts

Why would you keep going back and why in gods name would you take your elise there? Even my local lotus dealer couldnt even figure out where the lift point were under the car let Discount tire. Only thing I ever took my elise in for was a A/C belt everything else by my hand Or sector 111
Rant over
He said his H3, enough said.....
I Laughed my *** off thanks for that...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The damage they caused is one thing, the thing that really got under my skin was when they colored in with a marker in an attempt to hide what they had done. I know the management didn't do it, and it was just some tech trying to cover his a$$. But if they would have just came clean and said "hey man, we scratched your wheels, we will take care of it" then I would have had a lot less of a problem with a whole situation. Everyone makes mistakes, just own up to em, do your best to make it right and go on. Like I said, as soon as I brought it to the managers attention I got the customer service I expected.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Haha yeah yeah guys.

I know it sounds fishy and Kind of stupid. You gotta remember the Titan is technically my dad's. I use it though, work on it and act as his representative on this site. Thousands spent on the S/C...sucked. In hindsight I wouldn't move forward with that. I'm happy it's still performing well.

The H3 had two fronts replaced and on the same day I removed the rears from the Lotus. I bought the car with the add ons already. I would not and cannot afford $3500 rims. Awesome to have but not realistic for me to personally buy.

The GF, she goes where she wants. Did it during her lunch break and we don't go there anymore. Too many issues there. It's frustrating but arguing my word vs theirs isn't easy. Believe me, I complained about it but in the end I had no proof/evidence.

And I like my hummer! Haha it's not stock at all. back off lol

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I don't want to start a firestorm, but unlocking one hub on your front end didn't cause all that damage. Maybe improperly installed hubs, or a bad frontend, but an unlocked hub would do absolutely nothing to the unlocked side (disconnected from the road) and would cause no casualty to the locked side, as it would still function as it should. Worst case, you might (if your hubs were installed grossly improperly) have a tiny bit of engagement on the unlocked side and when put under stress you might strip the splines on the tip of the shaft, or more likely, grenade the hub splines, but neither of those would do all the damage you claim DT caused by unlocking one hub.

To be sure, I'm no longer a fan of DT, as they jerked me around on a tire warranty claim. I won't do business with them again, for certain. But they didn't break your hummer frontend by unlocking one hub.

Heck, just for comparison, let me tell you a story about one-hubbing it out of the swamps in panhandle Florida. Back in high school, a buddy of mine was in his K10, and started losing the u-joint on the driver's side of the frontend. We were "deep" in the swamp, and the only ways out were to drive it, or have it airlifted via helicopter. Since he had about $3k in the motor (which would be a $15k motor these days) he decided to drive it out. To keep from making it un-driveable when the joint grenaded, we unlocked his driver's side hub. The lok-right in the front diff didn't care about zero resistance on one side versus traction on the other, and just kept hammering that passenger side tire with torque. My buddy three-wheeled it out of an awful lot of holes, and we tugged him out of a couple when he got crossed up or sunk the driver's side and unloaded the passenger tire. It took a while, but we were going slow on purpose. We got out just after daylight. Truck drove fine on the way home, with that hub still unlocked. We took showers and a short nap, and when we got up later that morning we pulled the front end apart. No damage whatsoever, save for the bad u-joint, which we already knew about from the chirping and squealing we'd heard around midnight. Turns out there were no needle bearings in two of the caps on that thing. If he'd laid the boot to that joint in a hole, we'd have been trying to patch that front end back together in the mud, I'm sure. My bud was on record after that for being glad we convinced him to swap out his auto-loc hubs for a set of Warn manuals, for sure. Saved his bacon that day.

Totally your call on whether or not you go to DT. I won't. But they didn't break your hummer. That was either bad parts, bad install, or both.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The damage they caused is one thing, the thing that really got under my skin was when they colored in with a marker in an attempt to hide what they had done. I know the management didn't do it, and it was just some tech trying to cover his a$$. But if they would have just came clean and said "hey man, we scratched your wheels, we will take care of it" then I would have had a lot less of a problem with a whole situation. Everyone makes mistakes, just own up to em, do your best to make it right and go on. Like I said, as soon as I brought it to the managers attention I got the customer service I expected.
My thoughts exactly. Best to own up to a mistake, no matter what it is. I've always had good experiences with DT and it looks like they are making it right.

Haha yeah yeah guys.

I know it sounds fishy and Kind of stupid. You gotta remember the Titan is technically my dad's. I use it though, work on it and act as his representative on this site. Thousands spent on the S/C...sucked. In hindsight I wouldn't move forward with that. I'm happy it's still performing well.

The H3 had two fronts replaced and on the same day I removed the rears from the Lotus. I bought the car with the add ons already. I would not and cannot afford $3500 rims. Awesome to have but not realistic for me to personally buy.

The GF, she goes where she wants. Did it during her lunch break and we don't go there anymore. Too many issues there. It's frustrating but arguing my word vs theirs isn't easy. Believe me, I complained about it but in the end I had no proof/evidence.

And I like my hummer! Haha it's not stock at all. back off lol
I'm not sure why you'd take a Lotus or even just the wheels to DT. If you can afford the car you should let the dealer do all the work. I'm sure you wouldn't take it to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. Also I'll take my Jeep over you H3 regardless of what you have done to it..:wink:

I don't want to start a firestorm, but unlocking one hub on your front end didn't cause all that damage. Maybe improperly installed hubs, or a bad frontend, but an unlocked hub would do absolutely nothing to the unlocked side (disconnected from the road) and would cause no casualty to the locked side, as it would still function as it should. Worst case, you might (if your hubs were installed grossly improperly) have a tiny bit of engagement on the unlocked side and when put under stress you might strip the splines on the tip of the shaft, or more likely, grenade the hub splines, but neither of those would do all the damage you claim DT caused by unlocking one hub.

To be sure, I'm no longer a fan of DT, as they jerked me around on a tire warranty claim. I won't do business with them again, for certain. But they didn't break your hummer frontend by unlocking one hub.

Heck, just for comparison, let me tell you a story about one-hubbing it out of the swamps in panhandle Florida. Back in high school, a buddy of mine was in his K10, and started losing the u-joint on the driver's side of the frontend. We were "deep" in the swamp, and the only ways out were to drive it, or have it airlifted via helicopter. Since he had about $3k in the motor (which would be a $15k motor these days) he decided to drive it out. To keep from making it un-driveable when the joint grenaded, we unlocked his driver's side hub. The lok-right in the front diff didn't care about zero resistance on one side versus traction on the other, and just kept hammering that passenger side tire with torque. My buddy three-wheeled it out of an awful lot of holes, and we tugged him out of a couple when he got crossed up or sunk the driver's side and unloaded the passenger tire. It took a while, but we were going slow on purpose. We got out just after daylight. Truck drove fine on the way home, with that hub still unlocked. We took showers and a short nap, and when we got up later that morning we pulled the front end apart. No damage whatsoever, save for the bad u-joint, which we already knew about from the chirping and squealing we'd heard around midnight. Turns out there were no needle bearings in two of the caps on that thing. If he'd laid the boot to that joint in a hole, we'd have been trying to patch that front end back together in the mud, I'm sure. My bud was on record after that for being glad we convinced him to swap out his auto-loc hubs for a set of Warn manuals, for sure. Saved his bacon that day.

Totally your call on whether or not you go to DT. I won't. But they didn't break your hummer. That was either bad parts, bad install, or both.
Exactly what I was thinking. Sure damage can occur but the chances are very slim. My 30k fire engine had one hub that wasn't engaging properly and therefore was only in 3 wheel and nothing happened.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts