Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FedEx surprised me yesterday with my speakers that were suppose to be delivered on Monday.

I ordered the Infinity Kappas 693.9i 6x9 and 63.9i 6.5...and I also purchased the Infinity Kappa 10.9T 1" tweeters, and they were delivered this past Thursday.

Taking off the door panels was super easy, I have had issues with door panels in the past so this was my biggest fear of the installation.

Once the handle cap, arm rest piece and door handle finisher are removed, there are 5 screws. Then the door panel can be pulled off. There were orange panel plugs holding the panel secure to the door.

There are a few things to disconnect before the panel can be completely removed and set aside: door lock/unlock cable, door handle cable, seat memory plug on driver-side only, window/door lock/mirror adj plug, tweeter speaker connector on rear doors only. Then your set.

The 6x9s fit like a glove in the front doors, no modifications needed. They have the crossovers hard wired into the speaker so I simply removed the OEM connector on the door speaker wire and connected the individual wires to the crossover. I used 3M double sided tape to secure the crossover to the inside of the doors. All windows were checked repeatedly in full down/up position to check for clearances.

The 6.5s for the rear doors fit the opening fine and cleared the window in the full down position. There was a minor obstacle that I had to overcome, the 2 supplied door adapters did not line up with the three holes properly. However 2 of the 3 did, so to overcome this speed bump I simply used one of the 5 door sheet metal screws to tap a new hole. Problem solved...Then I simply used 4 supplied sheet metal screws and tapped 4 new holes to keep the speaker super tight and secure to the adapter and door. I did the same with the crossovers here too, just 3M'd them to the inside of the door.

One thing to note: The original configuration of the speaker wire for the rear doors is mounted outside of the door instead of inside like the front doors. So I looped it back thru a small hole on top of the speaker opening to the inside of the door and then connected the crossover. Again I checked window clearance full down and they clear fine.

The tweeters were mounted using supplied adapters and I used the OEM plugs from the stock speakers to hold the new tweeters in place. I wasnt able to re-install the OEM speaker grills because there is a little black cone piece protruding from the center of the tweeter. The only way That I can see re-installing the speaker grills is to dremel out a hole in the middle of the grill to allow the cone to protrude thru. I will test that theory next week. I actually broke the speaker grill fasteners when I removed them initially. They are 5 bucks a piece thru the dealership so Ill pick up some new ones sometime next week. Ill update with tweeter pics tomorrow. It was dark by the time I finished them.

All in all I have to say these were an improvement over the stock Nissan Rockford Fosgate speakers. I especially like that I have more tight mid bass as well as substantially improved treble output. CDs make it sound like a whole new system! XM Radio sounds better than before as well.

Here are a few pics to go along with some of the things to note above:

·
Banned
1,770 Posts
Good stuff dude!

Reactions: kdo2milger

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Nicely done. Looks good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: kdo2milger

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Looks good bro, great job. I'm thinking I should have went with 6x9's in the front :bangit: Might swap them out before too long. IMO I would cut a circle in the grill around the whole speaker part of the tweeter. I think that would look pretty good. Just having the slots in the corners would bug the chit outta me. :teeth: Unfortunately, I don't have the RF, so not sure about the center speaker. :(

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Br0!

I bought these speaker adapters:
PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made

and im using this thread as guidance plus the service manual:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-howto-area/127566-nav-install-swap-factory-bezel.html

I actually bought two new speaker grills from the dealership and I am going to cutout a whole and put a rubber grommet in so the little black cone on the speaker can poke thru.

I will post pics when I eventually get it done, hopefully this week sometime...

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Nicely done!

Those CNC tweeter adapters are pretty cool... But I think their "benefit over others" list is a bit out there...

Will not rot like MDF or wood speaker mounts

Ummm... If you're getting enough water into your dash, on a regular basis, and it rots the wood, you'll have had a ton of electrical problems WAY before the wood/MDF rots. :rofl:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nicely done!

Those CNC tweeter adapters are pretty cool... But I think their "benefit over others" list is a bit out there...

Will not rot like MDF or wood speaker mounts

Ummm... If you're getting enough water into your dash, on a regular basis, and it rots the wood, you'll have had a ton of electrical problems WAY before the wood/MDF rots. :rofl:
Thanks BB...ya I think that quote was mostly meant for the door adapters...they have every adapter feasibly possible and if they don't have it they can make it.

the one thing i do like about them is they will give you a 50% refund just for submitting installation photos...

Thank you for your purchase.

If you want to take some photos of your installation, and contribute them to my photo gallery site View tons of car speaker installation photo galleries | SmugMug , We will give you a 50% back refund of the purchase price, when we receive the photos.
Just snap at least 10 pictures at different stages of your installation, for each pair of adapters purchased.
10 pictures are the minimum. However we welcome more. We will also post photos of your head unit, ampllifiers, subwwofers, crossovers...
Email the pictures to us for a 50% refund of the purchase price.
Any question? Just reply and ask.

Note: These photos are intended to serve as a guide for other customers. Please do not take the photos with an economy camera phone, at night, or in a dark garage. Also, be sure that the photos are not blurry. Also, please do not take only close-ups. For each stage of installation, please take 1 close picture, and one from further away.

Regards,
Michael Mcginnis
Car-Speaker-Adapters.com
412-260-6835

·
Registered
292 Posts
Are you running this all off the stock RF amp? You also replaced the sub as well right?

How does everything sound? I don't wanna get a new head unit and amp so doing something like you did would be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you running this all off the stock RF amp? You also replaced the sub as well right?

How does everything sound? I don't wanna get a new head unit and amp so doing something like you did would be perfect.

Although the system has noticeably improved, I am ordering a 5 channel RF amp and I have a driver-side sub-woofer box and RF sub ordered and will be here Wednesday. I'm going to keep the OEM HU, but be running an RF AMP to get the most out of the Kappas and new sub.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Although the system has noticeably improved, I am ordering a 5 channel RF amp and I have a driver-side sub-woofer box and RF sub ordered and will be here Wednesday. I'm going to keep the OEM HU, but be running an RF AMP to get the most out of the Kappas and new sub.
Thanks. Once I pay for my last mods then I want to do this.

I have thought of doing a five channel amp as well but am hoping to just do the speakers.

I will have to keep planning this out.

Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
So you are using aftermarket speakers with the RF HU? I was under the impression that you could only run the stock speakers with the RF HU. I need to replace my front pair but am not sure about the ohms matching.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
The ohms won't match... Factory is 2 ohm. Aftermarket is 4 ohm. Aftermarket can be used but just won't play as loudly as if they have been amped.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Hey! You only got half a speaker! :rofl:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Subbed, gotta wait now for my order from tech12volt :))). Anyone have really detailed explanation, or as he has shown, it is pretty much straight forward common sense when removing panels, and the radio bezel?

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 64 Posts