Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There aren’t too many for sure! I have a campground map somewhere for it indicating shady sites. If I find it out let you know good sites.

·
Premium Member
69,765 Posts
This is our regular campsite. This place has kinda spoiled us. USCOE Canal campground.

unnamed (5).jpg

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Not sure they're open right now, but if you like tree camping near the beach, check out St. George Island State Park near Apalachicola, FL.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This is our regular campsite. This place has kinda spoiled us. USCOE Canal campground.

View attachment 545693
Awesome setup! Here are some
Also I like your setup! Our current camper is 15 years old and about done. Here are some decently shaded sites at Gulf State Park:

8, 6, 5, 18, 22, 24, 199, 201, 205, 218, 241, 257, 259- these are on the lake side and can get a little windy.

182, 184, 334, 349, 344, 402. 182 I want to say is the best for shade.
If you decide to go call the reservation dept. at Gulf State Park and ask if the site is still pretty shady.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
A little late to this thread, but a couple observations from a guy who's been towing and out camping for some 45+ years... first, 4mula, wow, nice spot! Everything near me is... "rustic".

Second, sounds like you're talking about one of the new 12V compressor fridges. They have a great advantage in they don't have to be perfectly level to work. I understand that they're very power-efficient. Folks are reporting that they use roughly less than a third of the power that the furnace blower uses.

A couple other notes for you: If you're adding a battery for more storage capacity, make sure that it's the same age as what's in there already. A month or two doesn't matter, six months does. The batteries will 'fight' each other and neither will last very long. Been there... "Oh, I can save a few bucks..." Yeah, we all know how THAT turns out.

When you're looking for a sway-cancelling hitch, there are a number of brands out there, most are pretty good. For instance, I had a Reese twin-cam for about a dozen years and really liked it. Got an EAZ-Lift Trekker and like it, especially the way I just hook up and go. No fiddling with chain lengths, I can tune the amount of sway control to my local conditions. But there are all kinds out there; find what suits your nature and budget. Just don't go cheap. Your family is worth the extra bucks.

On the 7-pin: Don't expect the tow vehicle to really do much of a job of charging your trailer batteries while you're driving. You can only get ...maybe... about half a dozen amps through the 7-pin, and trying to charge two discharged 250-amp-hour batteries... The onboard converter can dump 15+ amps/hour into those batteries and get them up in a few hours. Lots of people (me included) have solar-based charging, might be worth looking into for you.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 4mula1fan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
A little late to this thread, but a couple observations from a guy who's been towing and out camping for some 45+ years... first, 4mula, wow, nice spot! Everything near me is... "rustic".

Second, sounds like you're talking about one of the new 12V compressor fridges. They have a great advantage in they don't have to be perfectly level to work. I understand that they're very power-efficient. Folks are reporting that they use roughly less than a third of the power that the furnace blower uses.

A couple other notes for you: If you're adding a battery for more storage capacity, make sure that it's the same age as what's in there already. A month or two doesn't matter, six months does. The batteries will 'fight' each other and neither will last very long. Been there... "Oh, I can save a few bucks..." Yeah, we all know how THAT turns out.

When you're looking for a sway-cancelling hitch, there are a number of brands out there, most are pretty good. For instance, I had a Reese twin-cam for about a dozen years and really liked it. Got an EAZ-Lift Trekker and like it, especially the way I just hook up and go. No fiddling with chain lengths, I can tune the amount of sway control to my local conditions. But there are all kinds out there; find what suits your nature and budget. Just don't go cheap. Your family is worth the extra bucks.

On the 7-pin: Don't expect the tow vehicle to really do much of a job of charging your trailer batteries while you're driving. You can only get ...maybe... about half a dozen amps through the 7-pin, and trying to charge two discharged 250-amp-hour batteries... The onboard converter can dump 15+ amps/hour into those batteries and get them up in a few hours. Lots of people (me included) have solar-based charging, might be worth looking into for you.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for the input! I’ll stick with one or just have an extra not wired up. I wasn’t for sure about the 12 volt fridge because I’ve had a gas/electric forever.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts