Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a truck that has an aftermarket alarm installed. It's not working and I would prefer to simply buy a fob off ebay or amazon and use the factory setup.

Does anyone know if this is an easy task or if I'd be better just forgetting about it and purchasing or fixing the aftermarket one.

It's a 2004 LE

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,562 Posts
Not knowing what kind of hack job alarm install methods were used, I would pass on the whole truck. Sounds like a wiring nightmare to me, and trouble will follow. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not knowing what kind of hack job alarm install methods were used, I would pass on the whole truck. Sounds like a wiring nightmare to me, and trouble will follow. Just my opinion.
Thanks for your opinion, but that's really not helpful to me.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,562 Posts
Alrighty then. Good luck.

·
Registered
919 Posts
There are posts on here how to mate the fob and the truck and my understanding is its not hard. As to what 4mula1fan said, I might buy a fob first and see if it works. He is right though if it's a hack job it could cost you later, hopefully not. Good luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are posts on here how to mate the fob and the truck and my understanding is its not hard. As to what 4mula1fan said, I might buy a fob first and see if it works. He is right though if it's a hack job it could cost you later, hopefully not. Good luck
Thanks -- I completely forgot that my h2 OEM keyfob worked with the aftermarket alarm hooked up.

I have another titan now, so I'll try the fob thing.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
As 4mula1fan stated, it depends on the installation. If it is a name brand system like Python or Viper, you can order a new fob. If the system is too old and the fob is no longer available (this happened to me) you can just buy a new module with the new fob. To swap out the old one to the new one is simple as the module is a rectangular black box that cannot be mistaken for something else.

If it is some homeowner ebay hackjob, you should actually find a certified installer to remove all that crap. Just letting it all stay there unused can cause issues later on as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had problems with aftermarket alarms so I'm no fan of them.
I would go to a good alarm shop and have them evaluate the install and do the removal if they feel it will be error free.
fobs are simple add ons

1 - 9 of 9 Posts