Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there...Future Owner here.... a couple of questions

What do you guys think of the RF Package and the DVD... Should I install aftermarket stuff from Crutchfield or local installer..... I talked to a couple of radio/dvd dealers in the area and they obviously said yes....I would too if I sold them....But....What is the scoop....I like the really screens and sound systems, but I want it to FIT the vehicle....Not look like it sticks out like a sore thumb.......Any thoughts are appreciated

Later

Eric

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am not up on all the aftermaket stuff, but something to keep in mined is...

The controls for the radio and A/C are on a removable panel that just pops off. What I am saying is the entire dash between the center air vents, below the little shelf and above the power outlets is one piece that pops off with power connectors holding it on. The radio, CD players are all just black boxes (actually silver I think). So any new radios etc would require cutting the dash unless you find new guts with the same connector.

..Just what I've discovered trying to mount an aftemarket NAV system.
Also the little shelf area, air vents and power outlets are also part of a panel but I have not removed that one yet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi,

I just got the Titan two nights ago (loaded to the gills) and the RF package is pretty good. I'm something of an audiophile and while I've not fully pushed the system it sounds good over a broad range of music. The NAV system is a seamless integration so unless you can get something close to that aftermarket I'd stick with Nissan. And lastly, the DVD system is useless to me but I did hop in the back the other night and throw in "Transformers the Movie" and once the screen is tilted correctly it looks nice. I just wish I could hear the movie through the vehicle speakers (I should read the manual). You might have better look with an aftermarket DVD system because you could mount the screen(s) in the seat(s) or overhead. You could probably get a larger viewing area as well.

GL!

-a

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
"Any thoughts are appreciated"

You can go to the link below, register for free, and download the owner's and NAV manual for free:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/

I have the RF with NAV & DVD. They seem tightly integrated as far as functionality. For example, if you set a destination in the NAV, turn the guide voice on, each time you come to a turn, the radio mutes, and the NAV guide voice announces the upcoming turn.

The radio links with the DVD in a manner that the rear seat occupants can listen to the DVD through wireless headphones, while the front seat occupants can listen to the radio, CD or AUX (mp3 player). From the front dash, you can select whether the rear seat occupants can control the radio.

So I would be careful as to exactly what kind of integrated functionality you are getting with any aftermarket stuff. Also, I would ask to see samples of the installer's work, as there are alot of hacks out there.

The only thing that I found lacking on the OEM DVD entertainment system was a power inverter for games (e.g. an X-Box). The DVD player has connection for the signal inputs from the game, but I had to buy an aftermarket inverter to power the X-Box. I plug the inverter into the 12V socket on the back of the center console, but it would have been nice if the inverter was nicely packaged OEM into the center the console alongside the DVD player.

My main gripe about the RF stereo is that the 6 Disc changer doesn't play mp3 CDs (It will play CDRs). But with the AUX jack, you can plug an MP3 player. The AUX input volume level is lower than the radio/CD volume level, but you can compensate for that by cranking up the volume on the mp3 player. It would have been nice to have an adjustable gain control on the AUX input.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Even though this is an old thread...

You can listen to the movie through the sound system (without using the headphones). I believe you have to set the radio in the DVD mode... which cuts off the radio/CD player as being the source for the speakers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have this system in a crew cab and love it...yes you can listen without headphones...hit mode on steering wheel until you see dvd.....also, I would definately get the factory unit....i always said on previous vehicles that i would buy aftermarket and never did....also, all the various control options and warranty you get justifies and its not that big a cost difference to make a diff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts