Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to get a complete rear axle out of a 4x4 titan that has the factory electric locking diff. Is there anything good or bad about it I should know? Is it worth it? Right now I am running a standard open diff on my 2 wheel drive. I just got a lift and 35s and want to be able to use it offroad and not just be a street queen. The truck that it is coming out of is a 2005 and mine is 2007. will it bolt up? Any insight or experience would be great!

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
search around you'll get answers on install and stuff. My e locker has saved me once. It can only be engaged in 4lo. and it takes some time to engage but ya, once it does its nice. and 4hi in these trucks is bad a$$. especially with 35's and in the sand. so fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya for sure. but mine is only a 2 wheel drive. so would I be able to make it engage when I want it to?

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
ya for sure. but mine is only a 2 wheel drive. so would I be able to make it engage when I want it to?
Oh now i see what your saying. Your not swapping out for a complete 4wd system. Well you'd need all the electrical that would come with a 4wd truck. I honestly dont really know how that all works though. Wish I could help you.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
yeha dude, just run a 12 volt switch to it, and only lock it when your parked out of gear.. would be like having a tru-trac I beleive.. maybe im completely wrong but that sounded right to me lol

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm sure you could wire it up to work for 2WD. People on here have modded their locker to work in 2WD and 4HI. I like mine when I need it in 4LO, but not sure I would need it in 2WD for any reason.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With a good locked diff you can go almost anywhere a 4x4 can. thats my theroy and thats what all my buddies have been telling me to do. But is it worth $500 for the complete rear axle?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I would take the $500.00 and put it on a True Trac. I have it and love it.

Reactions: JDos1

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would take the $500.00 and put it on a True Trac. I have it and love it.
See, I thought about that because there is a guy selling one on here for pretty damn cheap. But it will be at least another $500 to get the damn thing installed. I am giving my truck a complete make over right now, but I still have to stay on somewhat of a budget.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Some of the early model year e-lockers had problems with the spider gears. It has been posted that at some point they went from a two to a four spider design.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I've never had a chance to try mine. :(

Lets hope for some good snow this year.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Sell your 2007 2wd for a newer pro4x and be done with it. :)

you can go almost anywhere a 4x4 can
Almost is the key word here. If you're sticking with your truck, you should also invest in a front bumper with a winch. it's when you think that you can get somewhere that you get stuck. With our long wheel base, if you don't have a winch on the front and you don't have at least one tire that will be doing some work up front, you can get in trouble real fast. Just words of caution is all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sell your 2007 2wd for a newer pro4x and be done with it. :)

I also thought about that haha but I like having a paid off truck. But I hear you about the winch. I am already looking into them and I never 4x4 or offroad in any place I can get stuck by myself. All of my other buddies have 4x4s so I can always have them pull me out. I dont plan on doing anything stupid crazy with it, because it is my primary vehicle. But like I said before, I dont want a street queen. I want a truck that is also functional as an offroad vehicle.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
See, I thought about that because there is a guy selling one on here for pretty damn cheap. But it will be at least another $500 to get the damn thing installed. I am giving my truck a complete make over right now, but I still have to stay on somewhat of a budget.
How much would it cost to put the new E locker axle in? Unless you are doing it yourself and saving the install money, Id go with the True Trac since it will be useful on the streets and off road.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
do you have any info on the axle? Can they assure that it is in good condition and not hosed? If you can get it and its in good condition and wire it up to a toggle switch on the dash you are golden. One thing I noticed last year about mine is that when the rear diff is COLD it takes forever for it to engage the locker. On our MVP Titan trip to RC last month I used the locker a few times and it engaged right away (diff warm)... so if you do go this route and you are in a cold envirenment and need it realize it may not engage right away. good luck either way.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
But what about the crap rear's in the 05's? When it goes out it'll be more than $500 to replace.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
There's really nothing wrong with the E-Locker, and it would be wired to lock when ever you want. There is no 4-spyder unit, so the same problems can occur with this diff as the others.

Although the price of $500 is good, for another 3-4 hundred you can have a Tru-Trac installed and replace the parts which fail most...

As far as operation, the E-Locker will be better for hard core rock crawling, but for most off-roading the TT will do fine...

·
Registered
114 Posts
With a good locked diff you can go almost anywhere a 4x4 can. thats my theroy and thats what all my buddies have been telling me to do. But is it worth $500 for the complete rear axle?
thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. dont you think all trucks would just have a locker? its cheaper to manufacture than a 4 wheel system.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. dont you think all trucks would just have a locker? its cheaper to manufacture than a 4 wheel system.
If you know how to drive a locker will take you almost any where a 4x4 will go. I have taken my 4x4 f150 through a lot of stuff and rarely click into 4x4. The way I was taught to offroad is only use 4x4 when you get stuck in 2wd. And I have been able to make it every where my buddies go and hardly ever click 4x4. So yes, you can make it pretty damn far in a 2wd. trust me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts