Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of quick questions, are all the fuses and relays installed when you get the factory tow package. Some friends of mine ran into issues with their Ford and Chevy installs - an imporant relay to the 7pin connector to charge the batter was missing.

Also, does the factory kit have an insolator installed so that the trailer won't drain the truck battery?

And finally, is the backup connector on the 7pin wired up already? The RV dealer didn't connect it on my Honda and I'd like to have backup lights on the camper.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Couple of quick questions, are all the fuses and relays installed when you get the factory tow package. Some friends of mine ran into issues with their Ford and Chevy installs - an imporant relay to the 7pin connector to charge the batter was missing.

Also, does the factory kit have an insolator installed so that the trailer won't drain the truck battery?

And finally, is the backup connector on the 7pin wired up already? The RV dealer didn't connect it on my Honda and I'd like to have backup lights on the camper.
All the relays/fuses should be there, and there is a 12v feed thru the trailer connector, but it's run by a relay that shuts off when the keys turned off to keep the truck battery from dying...I'm not sure about the reverse lights...

·
Registered
103 Posts
My reverse lights worked with my factory tow right off the lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
70DATSUN said:
Same here, everything was there, and everything worked. Still does.
I have designed a rather special relay that isolates the vehicle lights and switches on the trailer lights. Caravans and trailers for road use as the realy is designed for a pair of 21w incandesent bulbs. This is especialy useful for fog and reversing lights where they are not wanted on the towing vehicle as long as the trailer lights are working (no bulb failured). So its all pritty safe and fit and forget stuff and it is entirely passsive so no wire runs to the front of the vehicle. Only 4 wires to connect. Let me now if you want one. Two would be required if the lights you are switching are left and right individually fused.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I have designed a rather special relay that isolates the vehicle lights and switches on the trailer lights. Caravans and trailers for road use as the realy is designed for a pair of 21w incandesent bulbs. This is especialy useful for fog and reversing lights where they are not wanted on the towing vehicle as long as the trailer lights are working (no bulb failured). So its all pritty safe and fit and forget stuff and it is entirely passsive so no wire runs to the front of the vehicle. Only 4 wires to connect. Let me now if you want one. Two would be required if the lights you are switching are left and right individually fused.
I read your post 3 times, still not sure what it is that you want to accomplish...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Solutions by Design said:
:rollingey

·
Registered
12 Posts
My truck did not come with the tow package. I've read through the forum and some models of titans need more then others. The wire harness should be behind the driver side back tire or so i'm hearing. Can I get some information on what I'd have to do to get my truck up to towing? I'd rather do it myself so the dealer didn't take another 60% of what i'd have to pay.

I have a 2005 Nissan Titan SE.

Any input would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I purchased the tow hitch from the dealer cost I believe was $229, It came with all the extra relay's needed, and took me approx 15 mins to install. The wiring was indeed behind the drivers side bumper.
There is 2 different part # for the hitches though as the 07-08 models now require 3 relays.
If I had gone aftermarket it would have cost me $179 for the hitch, and $29 per relays, plus a 7 pin wiring harness that I would have had to install on my bumber. The factory hitch has the wiring harness built on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Adding Aftermarket Hitch - turn signals don't work

Blacktri99 said:
I purchased the tow hitch from the dealer cost I believe was $229, It came with all the extra relay's needed, and took me approx 15 mins to install. The wiring was indeed behind the drivers side bumper.
There is 2 different part # for the hitches though as the 07-08 models now require 3 relays.
If I had gone aftermarket it would have cost me $179 for the hitch, and $29 per relays, plus a 7 pin wiring harness that I would have had to install on my bumber. The factory hitch has the wiring harness built on.
Yes, if you don't get the tow package, the trailer light relays are not in your vehicle. Man I wish I would have found this post before today. I went to U-Haul (historically a good move for me) and added the class III hitch and light adaptor (that does just plug in and has both 7 and 4 pin connectors). I have an '07 SE with no tow package. After the installation I tested the lights. The left and right turn signals and brake lights did not function, but the running lights did. After searching the fuse box under the hood, found the 3 missing relay spots (top two slots on the left and bottom left slot - if looking from the front of the vehicle). Sure enough, all three relays, averaging about $30 each solved the problem. However, economically, it would have been far better to get the hitch assembly from Nissan because the relays are included.

·
Registered
76 Posts
yep, that was my problem when I bout my Nissan factory hitch, I have an 06 but bought class IV hitch for 04-05. they only required 2 relays(brown and blue) but my 06 required 3 relays(one brown and two blues) trailer place didn't know and Nissan didn't know at the time. I looked in that box and went to work and looked at a big tow truck and saw the extra relay. cost 30 bucks but there is a site posted some where on here that sells the relays for 17 bucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts