Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was always told not to put any petroleum based products on plactic because this is only a very temporary solution and will cause more harm in the long run. So I decided not to use any product and my plastic and it started to fade after about 1 year. I fixed the problem by painting that cheap plastic crap Nissan puts all over our Titan. I've painted my wiper cowl and tailgate panel to match my truck. Best thing I've ever done to improve my exterior.

·
Registered
827 Posts
A big +1 here! To keep the black plastic from fading you have to use something with a UV protectant. 303 is made for boats which are pretty much always in the sun and reflective sun (water) the way most people store them. I used this on my last Titan and never had the fading (I lived in San Antonio with that truck, very far south compared to most places in the US, very direct sunlight especially in the summer).

I am sure any good plastic protector with UV block would work as well (Adam's VRT for example), but 303 is the one I have experience with.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree 303 is the best product you can use on the plastic( I am not a dealer just a user). It dosnt contain the petroleum like most items do. I use it on the car and the boat. You will be surprised if you took your car and placed it next to someone who used only 303 products(the 303 car looks like new). It also lasts a long time as well. I use it on my tires as well. A couple of times I didnt wash my car for over a month and the tires were still shinny!! I know I know I need to wash the titan every week. But thats just my .02 cents

·
Registered
17 Posts
meguiars all purpose cleaner and a ton of elbow grease :)

the back to black stuff is good, but leaves everything greasy and doesn't last too long :-/

·
Registered
939 Posts
303 Aerospace is the way to go in my book. If you use it once a month from the day you purchase your truck your plastic won't fade at all. I use it on my tires too because I HATE that super glossy wet look on my rubber and the 303 gives them a nice matte finish that doesn't attract dirt and lasts for quite a while (I've gotten it to last 6 weeks, of course, results vary with conditions). Plus 303 is readily available. Most RV and marine stores carry it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Will the dealership replace if its under warranty?

More than likely no. They will say you didn't properly care for it, and if you get a real ****head dealer they may void your paint and corrosion warranty because they have "reasonable evidence" that you don't properly care for the appearance of the truck.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Back to black, etc are polishes. I have found that using Bondo "Restore Black" works well since it is a dye. I used it on the very faded parts of my old Porsche and it worked great. Make sure you mask off any areas you do not want to be black because it does not come off. The stuff lasts about 6 months in between applications.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Back to black, etc are polishes. I have found that using Bondo "Restore Black" works well since it is a dye. I used it on the very faded parts of my old Porsche and it worked great. Make sure you mask off any areas you do not want to be black because it does not come off. The stuff lasts about 6 months in between applications.
The dye products like black wow and the one you mentioned are great if you don't want to paint your trim. And they will last longer if you follow up every couple weeks with something like 303 Aerospace Protectant to keep the UVs from fading the dye.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have had good luck (4 months) so far with Bondo "Restore Black" and have not added any protectors. Still looks good and prior to that Back to Black lasted less than one month. I might have to try some UV protectors over it to prolong the life like suggested on this form

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Does anyone have tried using Forever Black? I just want to use it on my faded trim.
I've used Forever Black. It's a dye so make sure to mask off any areas you don't want the trim to get on and you'll be golden. It can be a little tricky to get a nice even finish since it's applied like a shoe polish with a small foam tipped applicator. I'd also recommend that you ONLY use it on hard plastic as it tends to streak on the softer rubber moldings.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I have a bottle of the Black Wow, I don't really think it was worth the price, lasted about as long as Mothers Back to Black which is easier to put on. They may last a month or so in dryer weather, but if we get a bunch of rain niether of them last much more then a week.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I have a bottle of the Black Wow, I don't really think it was worth the price, lasted about as long as Mothers Back to Black which is easier to put on. They may last a month or so in dryer weather, but if we get a bunch of rain niether of them last much more then a week.
BigA, did you clean the cowl with a 50/50 solution first? If you didn't, it won't last long as it needs a clean surface to properly soak into the plastic. It rains a lot in FL and it's lasted a good 3-4 months for me. Still beads up and little dab goes a long way... Proper application is the key.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
BigA, did you clean the cowl with a 50/50 solution first? If you didn't, it won't last long as it needs a clean surface to properly soak into the plastic. It rains a lot in FL and it's lasted a good 3-4 months for me. Still beads up and little dab goes a long way... Proper application is the key.
Mine still beeds up after a couple months but it looses the color. I did prep it with the 50/50 solution, although it may not have been enough because it was beeding up when I cleaned it. I may try it again when it warms up.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts