Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They said the front end is very loose side to side, My wife drives this daily and didn't notice it, I just drove it and its sloppy.
what component should I be looking at for the cause.
61k on the truck.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Start with the basics. Check the wheel bearings, then check the ball joints and control arm bushings, then the steering linkage. My guess is bushings or joints, but could be bearings or steering tie rods.

If you don't know how to check any of these, google it. But maybe you already know. Just don't start throwing parts at it without checking things.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Sloppy in steering wheel or suspension? Steering wheel check rack and pinion may just be bushings but could be the whole unit. Sway bar links and bushings hopefully easy cheap fix. If it’s LCA’s and or UCAs do it before new tires or just after new tires or it will chew them up so bad you will have wasted all that money on tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just crawled underneath while my wife moved the steering wheel back and forth, a good amount of movement in both outer tie rod ends, they move in both directions before moving the wheel in or out.
No movement on the other items, used a prybar on control arms, they seem tight.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Yes forgot about those lol looks like you found it Post a resolution and ride quality after you fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy crap were these tie rod ends worn out, once I had the wheels off the ground there was a ton of play.
Replacing them solved the issue, tracks nice and steady down the road.

Now on to the second item that failed, parking brake won't hold.
I had the pleasure of dealing with the parking brake Grenade 2 years ago and replaced everything on both sides, I had trouble then getting it adjusted properly, but never use it so it wasn't an issue.
I know this is a common Titan issue, has anyone come up with a way to adjust these effectively?
The adjustment nut is fully adjusted all the way.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I didn't find the adjuster under the dash much help ended up pulling the back rotors and turn the star adjuster just notice which way it pushes the shoes in or out. just like a mini brake drum job.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spent all day today trying to get this damn parking brake to hold the truck.
I backed off the adjustment at the pedal, pulled the rear rotors and adjusted the shoes out as far as I could and still get the rotor back on, put it all back together, adjusted the pedal and it still wasn't enough to hold, even with the pedal adjuster fully screwed in.
Test drive felt the shoes were dragging and the rotors were very hot.
Pulled it all apart and backed all the adjusters down, sending it to a shop!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Didn't know they checked the parking brake as part of a safety inspection.
They must not do it here in PA, or I would have failed several times.

While you were underneath checking suspension, did you happen to look at your swaybar bushings?

Those are only $6 a piece (OEM) and pretty simple to replace. They made an excellent difference in how the steering felt for me. I replaced front wheel hubs, swaybar bushings and end links all at the same time and that got rid of the steering wheel shimmy I was feeling at 70-75mph.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I changed the end links and wanted to do the bushings but no one near me had them in stock.
I'll replace them when I do my next oil change.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shop found that the backing plate needed to be replaced due to being damaged when the parking brake lining delaminated and destroyed last year.
The pins that hold the shoes in place had pulled through their holes and caused the shoes to wear unevenly.
All parking brake components replaced as well as rotors and pads, truck holds fast on my steep driveway with just the parking brake applied.
I'm finding as I get older that it's easier to write a Check than do it myself!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts