Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to sell my stock BFG's Rugged Trail TA's 285/70 R17. I have four plus the full size spare. What is a fair price to ask for these? They have about 5000k on them.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Well the majority of the people have experienced very short tread life with the "Ragged Trails". Mine lasted 23K miles.

They are an all-season passenger rated tire that wouldn't be such POSs if they would last at least 45K miles. I've read a couple of people claiming +30K ... but just do a search.

With 5K miles on them, there is maybe 20K miles left. A $700 set of Bridgestone Dueler REVOs (also a passenger rated tire, but claim to be an All-Terrain, (AT), ... and available in the same P285/70/17 size will last probably 50K miles minimum on average..

So 40% of the tread life * $700 = $280
But they are not as good as a REVO so you should minus another $50 = $230
But the buyer will need to mount and balance them 2.5 times as often, so they will pay 1.5 times more, or $70 * 1.5 = $105. So just take -$105 + the $230 from above and you get $125.

So $125 is a fair price with local pickup and nobody paying shipping. IMO
edit: Oh, the spare too, so add $31.25. But since it's new make it $39.

So $164.
If rims are included more of course.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! Talk about getting an answer to a question. When I first looked at the posting in the forum I was disapointed at only one reply. After reading your reply I see why no one else replied. There was nothing more to add. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
mberlin74 said:
WOW! Talk about getting an answer to a question. When I first looked at the posting in the forum I was disapointed at only one reply. After reading your reply I see why no one else replied. There was nothing more to add. Thanks again.
Can I ask why you are getting rid of them? Different rim size?
A lot of people claim they don't last, I now have over 50k on my '04 with the factory BFG's. Could get another year out of them. If you were local I'd take them in a second.

·
Registered
224 Posts
swarren1 said:
Well the majority of the people have experienced very short tread life with the "Ragged Trails". Mine lasted 23K miles.

They are an all-season passenger rated tire that wouldn't be such POSs if they would last at least 45K miles. I've read a couple of people claiming +30K ... but just do a search.

With 5K miles on them, there is maybe 20K miles left. A $700 set of Bridgestone Dueler REVOs (also a passenger rated tire, but claim to be an All-Terrain, (AT), ... and available in the same P285/70/17 size will last probably 50K miles minimum on average..

So 40% of the tread life * $700 = $280
But they are not as good as a REVO so you should minus another $50 = $230
But the buyer will need to mount and balance them 2.5 times as often, so they will pay 1.5 times more, or $70 * 1.5 = $105. So just take -$105 + the $230 from above and you get $125.

So $125 is a fair price with local pickup and nobody paying shipping. IMO
edit: Oh, the spare too, so add $31.25. But since it's new make it $39.

So $164.
If rims are included more of course.
I think this analysis is a bit off:

New Dueler Revo's 265/70 R17

$200 x 5 = $1000

Assuming 40% tread life:

$1000 x 40% = $400

Even if you take another $100 off due to their lower performance from the Revo's, you end up with $300. And you don't need to necessarily rotate/balance these more often, that's bologna. Much lower than $300 and I'd say you're getting ripped off, especially considering a NEW set of 5 BFG Rugged TA's is $1100...good luck.

O and I'm assuming you meant 5k, not 5000k :jester:
mberlin74 said:
They have about 5000k on them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I actually meant 5000 miles. They are basically brand new.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to get rid of them because I have lifted my truck and they look really funny because of the size. They just look way too small to me. I am thinking about BFG all terrain 35's with 17" AR Mojave chrome's. Maybe 18s. I cant decide. I have seen both and liked them both.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
FtWTitan said:
I think this analysis is a bit off:

New Dueler Revo's 265/70 R17

$200 x 5 = $1000

Assuming 40% tread life:

$1000 x 40% = $400

Even if you take another $100 off due to their lower performance from the Revo's, you end up with $300. And you don't need to necessarily rotate/balance these more often, that's bologna. Much lower than $300 and I'd say you're getting ripped off, especially considering a NEW set of 5 BFG Rugged TA's is $1100...good luck....
Firestone sells them at $176 at their tire stores. (Discount's prices include mounting and balancing, which isn't included with used tires either). So $880.
Firestone has sales at up to 25% off, and most people that are looking to buy used tires would also be likely to await a sale. So $660. But lets say they only do 20% off. $704

And you don't need to necessarily rotate/balance these more often, that's bologna.
I did not state they would need to be rotated and balanced more often. I said buyer will need to mount and balance them 2.5 times as often, [due to their 40% tread life] so they will pay 1.5 times more, or $70 * 1.5 = $105. So just take -$105

And IMHO anyone buying Rugged Trails brand new is either in the dark about their awful treadware, or one of those few outliers that had good luck with their OEM's for whatever reason, and may be in for a big surprise if they buy a new pair.

So I'm sticking to my five for $164 story. For $300 to $400 the rims with sensors should be included. And yes, Nissan probably charges $900 a piece for those rims, but it doesn't matter, because the market sets the price.

Occasionally somebody will try to sell them in the Buy/Sell area for more, but they usually don't move. It's supply and demand and there isn't a big demand, but usually a lot of off takes, especially because they are from the off road pkg. trucks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
swarren1 said:
I did not state they would need to be rotated and balanced more often. I said buyer will need to mount and balance them 2.5 times as often, [due to their 40% tread life] so they will pay 1.5 times more, or $70 * 1.5 = $105. So just take -$105
Ok, I misread that. But even so, that's not a factor that should go into the pricing of the tire itself...that's something you always have to factor in as the BUYER; when purchasing cheaper tires...you're going to go through them quicker.

You've already discounted the tire significantly with the 40%, so you're basically saying that the tire tread life-to-cost ratio is linear, which it's not. There are many other factors that go into the cost/quality of a tire besides tread life. But given the circumstances, I'd say 40-50% of the price is sufficient. But come on, only $160 for 5 tires with only 5k miles on them? If you'd be the one offering to buy them I'd definitely call scam on you! :bangit:

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
FtWTitan said:
Ok, I misread that. But even so, that's not a factor that should go into the pricing of the tire itself...that's something you always have to factor in as the BUYER; when purchasing cheaper tires...you're going to go through them quicker.

You've already discounted the tire significantly with the 40%, so you're basically saying that the tire tread life-to-cost ratio is linear, which it's not. There are many other factors that go into the cost/quality of a tire besides tread life. But given the circumstances, I'd say 40-50% of the price is sufficient. But come on, only $160 for 5 tires with only 5k miles on them? If you'd be the one offering to buy them I'd definitely call scam on you! :bangit:
:rolleyes: I've already explained why I feel they are only worth $164, and I think most that have run these tires, as I have, would agree with me.

Do a search on the word "ragged" or here's from a boolean search of: Ragged AND Trails
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1319420

:idea: But put your money where your mouth is and offer him $300 plus shipping. That should easily be less than the 40-50% of their retail price, that you claim they are worth.

·
Registered
224 Posts
bestatchess said:
Size is different, but offered at $470 for four (new), shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Set-Of-Four-P-265-70-R16-BF-Goodrich-Rugged-Trail-Tires_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ66474QQihZ012QQitemZ220107085103QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Never mind, the 16" goes for about half the 285/70/17 at Tire Rack
Even the smallest 17" goes for $124 on tirerack. And the guy is selling a set of 5 not 4. Even taking the price above for 5 tires you'd still end up at over $200 for 5 tires at %60 off. You're comparing apples to oranges with a 16 to 17" rim size anyway.

swarren1 said:
I've already explained why I feel they are only worth $164, and I think most that have run these tires, as I have, would agree with me.
Yes, and I've explained why I feel you're wrong. That is the analysis that YOU would use in deciding whether or not to buy these tires, not a true analysis in deciding fair market value of the tires. The point is, $164 for 5 tires is a ridiculous price. I've paid more than $33/tire for sh!tty walmart tires for my old Toyota Camry. These tires aren't THAT bad...some have had bad experiences, some haven't. I hope we've confused you enough mberlin :upsidedow Let us know what you end up getting for them :cheers:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do!!!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
FtWTitan said:
.... The point is, $164 for 5 tires is a ridiculous price.
:bangit: No, the point is these tire have a ridiculously short tread life and therefore a very poor/low resale value.

And again, for $300 to $400 and you can often get the off-road rims as well. Sorry you are having trouble with this. I suggest that you check out the prices at Buy & Sell forum for a couple of months, and learn about the market value of these tires, and other used items as well.

Also, as I mentioned previously, if they are worth 40% or 50% of retail, you should offer to buy them at $300 plus shipping. I know I would have a lot of respect for this example of words equaling action.

·
Registered
224 Posts
swarren1 said:
I suggest that you check out the prices at Buy & Sell forum for a couple of months, and learn about the market value of these tires, and other used items as well.
Thanks, but I've seen your other suggestions and I'm not too impressed thus far....

swarren1 said:
Also, as I mentioned previously, if they are worth 40% or 50% of retail, you should offer to buy them at $300 plus shipping. I know I would have a lot of respect for this example of words equaling action.
I used the 40-50% tread life figure off of YOUR numbers, not mine. The rest of the stuff you added after that was redundant and was the reason you got to your $164 figure. If I had 17" rims, I'd easily pay $250 for 4 of these semi-used tires and 1 new (spare) one. And if someone liked these tires and wanted the set, $300 would not at all be unfair. I'm just trying to help the guy get the most he can for these tires and still be at a fair price...all you're trying to do is get him to sell them at the lowest possible price...Either way, I've stated my points, so you can keep repeating yourself, but I'll end my replies here.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
FtWTitan said:
Thanks, but I've seen your other suggestions and I'm not too impressed thus far....
Your welcome. I was impressed with the one where I suggested that you put your money where your mouth is and buy them for $300 if that is fair.
FtWTitan said:
I used the 40-50% tread life figure off of YOUR numbers, not mine.
Wrong.
I used 40% tread life in one part of my calculations. In an earlier post YOU stated:
FtWTitan said:
I'd say 40-50% of the price is sufficient.
And then YOU inflated the price to $1000. and disregarded other factors such as additional mounting costs required because of their short life. Lol
FtWTitan said:
The rest of the stuff you added after that was redundant and was the reason you got to your $164 figure. If I had 17" rims, I'd easily pay $250 for 4 of these semi-used tires and 1 new (spare) one. And if someone liked these tires and wanted the set, $300 would not at all be unfair.
Yes redundant, because you didn't seem to understand. And $300 is very unfair, based upon their tread life. I do think mberlin74 might get $200 or maybe even $250, but I was simply explaining why I feel they are worth $164.
FtWTitan said:
I'm just trying to help the guy get the most he can for these tires and still be at a fair price...all you're trying to do is get him to sell them at the lowest possible price.
Wrong again. mberlin74 asked what we thought was a fair price, I explained what I thought was fair and why. I have no reason whatsoever to "get him to sell these tires at the lowest possible price". I was simply answering mberlin74's question:
"What is a fair price to ask for these? They have about 5000k on them".​
I explained, why, and you disagreed. I then corrected your inaccurate prices and logic. You continued to argue and because I did not agree, you started to insult me with comment like:
FtWTitan said:
If you'd be the one offering to buy them I'd definitely call scam on you!:bangit:
and from today:
FtWTitan said:
I was quite hurt.
FtWTitan said:
...Either way, I've stated my points, so you can keep repeating yourself, but I'll end my replies here.
Well I'm glad you are done. :bye: And I forgive you for the attitude and starting to use the :bangit: on me. Seriously though if you're upset don't be, people have different opinions, and although I liked my Crappy Trails more than most, I was appalled at their tread life. Love the tread life of my BFG ATs though.
Oh and thanks, I'd love to repeat myself, $164 is fair, $164 is fair, $164 is fair .... n=1,000,001 o.k. I'm done now too.
Oh and some people think $250 is fair, some people think $250 is fair, .... n=1,000,001

:rofl:

·
Registered
6,182 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't know about some of the theories on here but I could tell you about "actual" market value.
Last year I sold my off road wheels with BFG's mounted with rubber valve stems {I put the TPM's on my new wheels} on this exact site to another local TT member.He was looking to replace tires only but had 2 scratched wheels.
He had priced 4 tires at just under $600.
Mine had 2000 miles on them still showing the nubs,and the rims were flawless and cleaned inside and out thoroughly.I kept the spare and was offering 4 only!
They sold in 2 days after the first post.
$650.00

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Nissan Mike said:
I don't know about some of the theories on here but I could tell you about "actual" market value.
Last year I sold my off road wheels with BFG's mounted with rubber valve stems {I put the TPM's on my new wheels} on this exact site to another local TT member.He was looking to replace tires only but had 2 scratched wheels.
He had priced 4 tires at just under $600.
Mine had 2000 miles on them still showing the nubs,and the rims were flawless and cleaned inside and out thoroughly.I kept the spare and was offering 4 only!
They sold in 2 days after the first post.
$650.00
It's all about timing. I had the same wheels with sensors for sale for 600 and wasn't getting a bite. I had to seperate them and sell the tires. Still have the rims.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts