Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did a radiator swap and added a trans cooler today. Had a few delays but got things worked out. Once I got the original radiator out, I figured out exactly why my 2011 Pro4X was overheating in traffic and while idling.

Line Wood Gas Composite material Cylinder

All that chaff is from a decade of wheeling around my deer lease, but I'll be pulling the new radiator every couple of years to clean and check.

Installed a Koyo all aluminum replacement and added a Hayden trans cooler.

Blue Light Rectangle Composite material Mesh

So far, all is well. Should be good for towing the wakeboat and junking around my deer lease.

·
Premium Member
72,927 Posts
Wow! Whodathunkit?

Reactions: dubyam

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So follow-up question for all you guys who have done the bypass mod:

Are your trans temps more volatile now? For some reason after swapping the radiator and adding the Hayden trans cooler, my trans temps are fluctuating between around 1/3 to half on the gauge. Prior, the gauge pretty much went up to about 45% and stayed around there unless something strange happened. Not concerned for overheating at this point - never gets over where it used to stay, but seems to float back and forth a lot. Checked trans fluid and it's perfect, so not a fluid issue.

·
Super Moderator
93,867 Posts
Did you swap out your thermostat, it could be malfunctioning.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thermostat should have zero effect on trans temps.

As for changing it, I didn't, but at first glance it didn't seem to be a problem, as the lower tank/hose stayed cool to the touch while idling until the data feed from the OBDII port said the engine hit 180deg, which is when the thermostat should open. Might hit that tomorrow evening. Have a 170deg on hand but was concerned about using that with the Koyo. We will see.

·
Registered
2009 Pro4x crew cab, 2014 Armada SV
21 Posts
How did the Koyo fit? Did you have to do any trimming of the fan shroud? I have to replace my radiator as well, the trans cooler fitting blew out last summer and I've had it bypassed ever since.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Koyo fit perfectly. No trimming, and I have better than an inch of clearance everywhere between the fan and radiator. Might even be more than an inch and a half, but easily more than an inch.

Reactions: SeanDavy

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
402 Posts
How did the Koyo fit? Did you have to do any trimming of the fan shroud? I have to replace my radiator as well, the trans cooler fitting blew out last summer and I've had it bypassed ever since.
Same response as above ^.
My koyo fit perfectly and was great until the day I traded her in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Reminds me of when my buddy slammed an elk at 75mph in his suburban. His snow plow caught the brunt of it but his truck was overheating like a month later because the rad was packed up with guts. It was pretty gross.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, bypassing the Radiator ATF cooler can allow the trans temp to come down below the 180 or so operating temp of the Radiator. In cold weather, bypassing can lead to the trans struggling to come up to a good operating temp. I added a real ATF temp gauge and the Trans temp averages about 110 degrees above the outside air temp. So when it's 80 out side, my trans is about 190 and when it's 30 outside the trans struggles to get up to 140. I've found that 'bagging' my 'ATF Air Cooler' in the winter help's it stay warmer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts