Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have an 09 Titan XE 2wd with 2.29 gears, im planning a truetrac and 3.36. I’m planning on doing this myself and was looking through the service manual, but it seems like it’s missing something. I’m looking for side carrier bearing setup sequence but don’t see it. The manual tells me to set pinion preload then when you drop the diff in that total preload will be in a certain range. Which is fine I do need to know that, but what about when I start from scratch and drop in new gears? Do I bring the ring gear in toward the pinion till I get no backlash then measure for preload? Or do I set the backlash before the preload, which doesn’t seem correct to me.
My understanding, and I’m not a mechanic, is you set pinion bearing preload, side bearing preload, backlash, then fear tooth pattern. I haven’t taken anything apart yet so I don’t actually know what the pieces look like, maybe I’ll understand when I see it. I haven’t been able to find much on doing this on a Titan. I just noticed in the manual that there is much more detailed instructions for the front diff on the 4wd than the rear final drive. Maybe I’m over thinking it. Any suggestions? Sorry the post is so long.

·
Premium Member
69,811 Posts
Setting up a rear end is not for beginners. Make a change and everything changes. I'd seek help if I were you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it’s not that’s why I’m asking questions. I’ve done this before but on a different vehicle, the manual for that vehicle specified how to do it. Anyone else have any info?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts