Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just closed on and moved into my house this last weekend and have a good sise garage so I'm finally going to attempt to paint my grille and mirror caps and probably door handles. So do you fellas have and tips or suggestions that could help me out like what sand paper and paint to use or any thing thanks guys

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm new to the titan, but on my cars and other trucks I always use Plasti-Dip for a matt black finish. If thats what your going for? Best thing about it is there is no prep required other than cleaning and you can just peel it off if you want to go back to chrome.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you are going to paint the the grille, mirror caps, and door handles I suggest 2 things... Rustoleum Self-Etching primer and Rustoleum Spray on Bedliner... do 2-3 light coats of primer then do a crap ton of coats of the bedliner... I would suggest doing like 3 lite coats of bedliner then let dry for an hour in the sun... then go back and do another 3 coats... keep going until you have like 8-9 lite coats and it will never chip off!!! I did like 3 normal coats and it chipped a little but anything over 6 coats and you are good! Ohh best part is that Wallmart has the primer and bedliner!!!

Reactions: TEX=TTN

·
Registered
984 Posts
For the mirror caps no sanding should be required. Door handles shouldn't either unless chrome. If chrome, scuff them up a bit with a medium grit paper and hit it with one tack coat and then 2-3 coats. Same concept for grill.

Reactions: TEX=TTN

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok cool. Here in OKC its getting up to 100°. Think that will matter if I leave it in the sun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ill look into it. Is it messy or just another paint
Not messy at all, its a rubber coating instead of paint. Comes in spray cans just like any spray paint would. I've painted my entire hand before and it peels off with some hard scrubbing. I love the stuff.

Pic quality is crap, but here is a set of wheels I Plasti-dipped for my car. Then peeled it off when I sold the wheels.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah everything is OEM chrome right now. So medium grit. Some primer and bedline. Let dry. What about removing stuff or just covering the truck

·
Registered
383 Posts
You can remove the grill pretty easy, it's just a couple of clips on the top and bottom but after you put it back on I would suggest holding it down with zip-ties instead of the clips... I have heard mixed opinions on the door handles but I was told to leave them on and just mask everything off... same goes for the mirrors... I removed my mirrors but leaving them on would be fine too... just make sure to do a good job of masking... Sorry I forgot to mention scuffing the chrome up but the main thing is the first few "tack" coats of primer then cake the bedliner on...

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just want to make sure I get in all the cracks of the handle. IV had to remove the grille to put in my head lights but clips vs zip ties don't seem to big a deal, ya know if it ain't broke why fix it. Lol but that's for the heads up. So last question. Paper or plastic to mask everything off? Oh I also want to do my Titan badges, but that shouldn't be different right? Idk if I'm missing anything.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I've prolly seen you around town Texas=Titan. Got any more pics of your rig?

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah if you go to my page. I can only use my phone to get on right now or I'd upload em for ya. But I have to brassknuckle stickers on my back window

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are going to paint the the grille, mirror caps, and door handles I suggest 2 things... Rustoleum Self-Etching primer and Rustoleum Spray on Bedliner... do 2-3 light coats of primer then do a crap ton of coats of the bedliner... I would suggest doing like 3 lite coats of bedliner then let dry for an hour in the sun... then go back and do another 3 coats... keep going until you have like 8-9 lite coats and it will never chip off!!! I did like 3 normal coats and it chipped a little but anything over 6 coats and you are good! Ohh best part is that Wallmart has the primer and bedliner!!!
The bedliner spray is going g to be kind of a rough texture right?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far IV done my grille inserts and now working on the grille. But already addicted and want to buy more to finish all my chrome

1 - 17 of 17 Posts