Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Stillen long tube headers sitting in the garage for about 6 months and over the 4th I had a day off to get them installed. I also ordered Berk B pipes with the group buy a few months ago and threw those on with the headers.
My truck is a 06 4X4 so it had 4 cats before, 2 on the manifolds and 2 on the B pipes.
The stock manifolds were replaced under warranty about 20K miles before the install so the ones I removed were not cracked.
I did the install by myself and it took me 9 hours with a few breaks.
I did not spray the bolts prior because they were replaced and figured they would be fine. The install was fairly easy and straight forward just took a long time without help. I did have to remove the motor mounts to get the manifolds off and headers on. My truck does have a bracket lift so the diff is out of the way a little more.
The hardest part was trying to find the right extension or socket to be able to get to every nut. The heat shields came off suprisingly easy prepared to most I just cut them in half with tin snips were the O2 sensor went in and pulled the passenger side out threw the wheel well and the drivers side came out easiest going up through the engine compartment.
I did half to lengthen the O2 wires for the headers but Stillen supplies you with everything needed to do so. The Berk B pipes I was able to cut the wire tires holding the O2 wires in place and get enough slack to reach the bung on each side. I have driven the truck about 200 miles since the install and no lights have come on yet.
One thing I am not sure about yet is the new sound of the truck with these headers. My truck already had the Banks exhaust installed and I loved the sound and now with the headers it sounds very raspy and poppy. And much much LOUDER. I will take a video and post up the video. So far I really dislike the sound and how snappy/poppy it sounds.
I am going to have a shop weld up a new Y to replace the Banks Y with a Flowmaster 2.25" to 3" and I am considering having them weld up a resonator or straight through muffler in the Y before the Banks to try and smooth it out and quiet it down a bit. I do want to keep the performance though so I am not sure which way to go yet.

Here are some photos of the install I had to take them with my phone because I forgot my camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some more photos I will take some more tomorow it got dark fast while installing them.

Attachments

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Congrats on the install. My JBA catback sounded the same as yours after the install. I have the Zoomers now and it sound very mellow and deep without the CIS/rasp/popping. I still get a little drone around 1500-1800 RPM.

L

·
Registered
258 Posts
good job on the install.. i would never attempt it lol... I have a 08 4x4 xe and want to go this route... stillen lt's, berk pipes n uprev. currently have the magnaflow swap. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some more photos I took today of the headers and b pipes installed.
I will try and take a video on Wednesday.

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Few More pictures. You can see the Banks Y and how much larger it is then the Berk B pipes.

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only two more.

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok here are the links to the videos I took on Wednesday as you can hear it is very raspy now.

The one in the snow is what it sounded like with just the Banks.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
dude imo sounds really good. if its too loud than run a resonator or muffler before it...P.S if i ran my truck in a parking garage like you did i would cause heart attacks.

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Swap out the Banks muff for a big body Magnaflow. OfiveCC did and it sounded badazz! Clean, deep and throaty without being too quiet or loud. no rasp either!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did he go with a 22" Magnaflow? Thanks I thought about swaping it out to a longer Banks or Magnaflow. I would like to get as close as I can to the way it use to sound I loved that Banks sound.
Talked to 3 muffler shops Wednesday and all of them didn't want me to make a 2.25" Y in place of the banks 3" but I still think I should from everyone on here.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Sweet set-up and I'm sure you're loving the performance! It sounds good but it is really loud. Get the largest/longest resonator to help reduce the popping or a larger muffler like T08 suggested. Mine seemed to mellow out a bit once I put some miles on the Berk's. Gotta love the Berk Technology B-pipes! Killer fit, finish and performance!!! I'm planning on adding resonators since my set up is a little to loud for me...

So did you use the silly little emulator's on the headers?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Did he go with a 22" Magnaflow? Thanks I thought about swaping it out to a longer Banks or Magnaflow. I would like to get as close as I can to the way it use to sound I loved that Banks sound.
Talked to 3 muffler shops Wednesday and all of them didn't want me to make a 2.25" Y in place of the banks 3" but I still think I should from everyone on here.
IIRC, yes he did. I can send him a txt if ya want. My buddy Gweasel77 recently switched his Y pipe to a 2.25" and reported increased performance and torque. His set up is similar to yours but he's got Nismo headers...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope I just lengthened my O2 wires before the plug on the harness side and now they reach with more then enough slack in the long tubes. And the Berk pipes the stock wires were long enough after I cut the wire tires.
Ya I am going to have a 2.25" Y made up and just order a 2.25 mandrel bent U and have them cut it in half to get the 2 90* bends on the drivers side to the Y. It just lookes funny under the truck going from 2.25 to 3 at the flange it has to slow down exhaust.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Dude your ****in truck sounds mean as ****. It does sound a little raspy and poppy but its not bad. It is def LOUD. My truck has never been overpowered sound wise by another T before and yours did just that. You got a nice truck there bro. Nice meeting you.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Congrats on the awesome new performance mods & getting them installed solo!!! Your going to love it!

Swapping the Banks 3" Y-pipe with a 2.25"-3" one will give you added low end TQ, but won't help the sound. I have basically the same setup, as Gary stated before. I personally like the way mine sounds, but it is friggin' loud! I would also suggest installing a Vibrant resonator before the Banks muff. That should mellow it out some. :)

* I've got a tip for ya:

When i did the Y swap on mine i bought a mandrel bent 90 for the driver side. Upon installation we found out that it's more like 100* bend because the B-pipe hangs at a slight angle. He was able to tweak it a little to make it work, but just be aware of it. :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dude your ****in truck sounds mean as ****. It does sound a little raspy and poppy but its not bad. It is def LOUD. My truck has never been overpowered sound wise by another T before and yours did just that. You got a nice truck there bro. Nice meeting you.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using AutoGuide App
You should hear how loud it is when you get on it. We will have to go out to sycamore creek sometime if you want to take your truck out.

And thanks I was just going to order a U or a 90*.
And I am still trying to decide to either get a longer muffler like the 22" magnaflow or just add a resonator or something.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts