Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We flew down to Houston, bought the Titan, and drove it back today. It was a good experience. Since I was putting the first miles on the motor, I kept the speed and engine rpms somewhat fluctuating per the manual's break-in instructions.

The truck is superior to my F-150 Lariat in every way except one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy with the Titan. I have a lot of learning to do to master all the bells and whistles.

But the exhaust has a low-pitch drone from about 1600 RPM to 2,500 RPM. That's right in the interstate cruising range of 65 to 78 MPH. My Lariat has no such noise so it was quite noticeable in the Titan.

Below or above that RPM range, very quiet. When I put it into a lower gear (like 3rd or 4th), the truck as every bit as quiet as my Lariat if not quieter. Even at 3,500 rpms at 70 mph the motor was totally and acceptably quiet. But when in overdrive at 70 or 4th at 60 (approximately) the exhaust is quite noisy in comparison.

I plan to keep stock exhaust . .no modifications. I like quiet . . . the quieter the better.

So there must be some kind of resonance at the rpms that amplifies the sound, I guess. Anyone else notice? The noise seems to be coming from behind as opposed to from the engine compartment. Has anyone taken any steps to quieten (like insulation above the muffler or something?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are you sure the dealer didn't put an aftermarket muffler on it? They are usually pretty quite stock. I know our local Chevy dealers put Magnaflows on their trucks to change the sound just a bit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I noticed the same drone on my '05. I installed the Zoomers Cannon exhaust tip on mine - it really helped to reduce it. The remainder of my exhaust is stock.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tmaxxattack said:
Are you sure the dealer didn't put an aftermarket muffler on it? They are usually pretty quite stock. I know our local Chevy dealers put Magnaflows on their trucks to change the sound just a bit.
Looked under the truck this morning for the first time. Muffler looks stock to me.

I think it's just a resonance. I may try adding some of that rubber mat with foil liner on the underside of the passenger compartment just over the muffler (above the heat shield that's there now).

Or maybe I'll just get used to it.

Ken

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
I don't see anywhere in your profile or your sig or outside my office window or written in the clouds in the sky what model Titan you bought. Was it a KC? CC? SWB? LWB? The length of the system will be different for the different bed lengths. It will make a difference in the drone level of the system. It's just the physics of air pressure and piping. I know my '06 CC doesn't have any drone with the stock exhaust. Up to the '08 model year, only one length chassis and exhaust system was available. Maybe if we knew your truck's configuration, someone can better pinpoint the resolution.

Good luck with the truck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Blackbeauty said:
I don't see anywhere in your profile or your sig or outside my office window or written in the clouds in the sky what model Titan you bought. Was it a KC? CC? SWB? LWB? The length of the system will be different for the different bed lengths. It will make a difference in the drone level of the system. It's just the physics of air pressure and piping. I know my '06 CC doesn't have any drone with the stock exhaust. Up to the '08 model year, only one length chassis and exhaust system was available. Maybe if we knew your truck's configuration, someone can better pinpoint the resolution.

Good luck with the truck!
Brand new truck, haven't updated my sig yet. But I will.

For the record, it's an '08 Crew Cab LE SWB with no extra options except floor mats. (no tow package).

I added a simple signature. Let's see if it works.

Ken

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Hmmmm... same configuration as mine. Don't really understand the drone. I do know it has to do with the length of pipe after the muffler. Some have cut about a foot off and the drone disappeared. You may want to consider the Zoomers tip if it's an issue for you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Stock Titans have a mild drone to them, I liked it on mine. I have a new strait through muffler now and dumped right before the axle and I think mine is quieter than stock normal driving but louder at WOT. Perfect combo. :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have the same truck except 4WD and big tow. Some drone and vibration is felt at certain RPM's and engine loading. Nothing I find objectionable. I would not add any material above the exhaust that would have any chance of catching fire. Maybe some thin sound deadening material under the carpet?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Love the way my stock exhaust sounds. I did a custom SS exhaust on a Frontier once and that baby droned at highway speed. I think my Titan sounds just right. One of my favorite things about it.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
The drone is nice. But when your on a 3,000 mile round trip for fishing it kind of gets old listening to that drone going down the interstate.

Maybe I need to turn up the radio.:teethmast

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
PRJ said:
The drone is nice. But when your on a 3,000 mile round trip for fishing it kind of gets old listening to that drone going down the interstate.

Maybe I need to turn up the radio.:teethmast
I can't believe you didn't think of that sooner! :rofl:

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Several guys have been pleased with the results obtained
by using a Vibrant resonator. There are many other types of
small mufflers/resonators that could be used including
Moroso spiral flow.........also Zoomers tip (expensive for a tip)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 2007 King Cab SE. I now have 3500 miles on it and I couldn't tell you if it drones or not since I always run the stereo when I am driving alone, which I am most of the time.

Maybe I'll try it without the stereo and see .... LOL.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Rust proofing on the underside does help to dampen some of that drone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you, everyone, for your input.

The Zoomers tip seems the least invasive of the options that were given. Easier to install than the Vibrant or Moroso products that were noted in a reply to my quesion.

I'm quite skeptical about an exhaust tip's ability to remove the drone sound, but I think I'll try it anyway. I was reading an old post on a forum where a skeptic tried the Zoomers and was astounded with the results. If it doesn't do the trick, maybe I'll try one of the other ideas. I do know that the drone sound is annoying to me. I like quiet . . . . the quieter the better. Where most people might like the sound, I prefer to not hear my engine at all. So we'll see how the Zoomers works and I'll report my experience when I install it.

Ken

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ken, Did you try the exhaust tip that was recommended? I just got a 2008.5 LE and have noticed the same thing. Came from a Chevy Avalanche which was very quiet. Bud

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BudsbigT said:
Ken, Did you try the exhaust tip that was recommended? I just got a 2008.5 LE and have noticed the same thing. Came from a Chevy Avalanche which was very quiet. Bud
I haven't yet, Bud. I can't convince myself that adding that exhaust tip is going to quieten it down. The darned thing costs like $150.00 and I'm skepticle. BUt I gotta tell ya, the exhaust growl and drone drives me crazy. Coming from a very quiet Lariat, this motor is loud. Too loud for someone like me that likes quiet.:eek:

Ken

·
Registered
440 Posts
I also came from an F-150 that didn't drone at the same engine RPM's, but I finally got use to it. I don't want the exhaust any louder, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Also, I didn't have to turn the radio up to get over it.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
The Titan has always had a powerful-sounding exhaust (ixnay on the "drone" term, so negative!). Your F-150s didn't have it b/c they're wimpy :rockon

1 - 20 of 55 Posts