Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got weather that allowed me to change the oil. It's been raining like crazy here lately.

The oil filter is on there super duper tight. I couldn't find a wrench small enough to get on it, so I ended going to the tried and true screwdriver method, that worked just fine.

Filled with 6 qts of Valvoline synthetic blend 5w-30.

What I failed to find was a transmission dipstick? Did I overlook someplace obvious?

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
I was wondering about you after that bad tornadoe you guys had the other day!!

I don't know about the 07's, but my 04 doesn't have the traditional looking dipstick. You have to unbolt it!!!

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
The tranny dip stick is on the left side of the engine, it has a bolt that secures the dipstick.
I would check you engine oil level, as it takes at least 6.5 quarts, most people end up putting in 7 quarts.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
6.5 quarts will show half way between the high and low marks on the dip stick, which is what the manual says to do. 7 quarts will show close to the high mark on the dip stick. With 6 quarts, you are probably close to the low mark on the dip stick.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a big ole oil pan!
Glad I mentioned it on titantalk, becuase I rarely check the level.

What filter wrench to yall use? I'm not seeing anything at walmart that look small enough.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Here are some pictures of the wrench I used on my Titan. It also happens to work on my Tundra, even though the filter is in a canister. Once I changed the orginal filter on the Titan, I no longer need a wrench to change the filter as I never screw it as tight as the factory does.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vipzach said:
I was wondering about you after that bad tornadoe you guys had the other day!!
Flooding has become a much bigger concern recently. We've gotten about a foot of rain this past week and it just keeps coming.

I live over an hour from Greensburg, the city that was completely ruined. Horrible news that 8 died in that town. We had a similar tornado back in the 80's that flattened the town of Udahl. they have since rebuilt.

I heard this morning on the news an interview with a very feminine sounding fella from San Francisco about the tornado that flattened an entire town. "What's wrong with people? Why live in Kansas? Have you ever seen the wizard of OZ, I mean Hello people." If it wasn't a flamer I'd probably be a little angry about his opinion.

I'm gonna say the same thing about San Francisco next time there's an earthquake, rolling blackout, or global warming floods out the city... "Have you ever seen the discover channel? It was bound to happen, your own fault."

I've never heard of any place that was safe from natural disaster. If you know of one, let me know and I'll consider packing up EVERYTHING I'VE EVER KNOWN and leave.

·
Registered
26 Posts
kellyj00 said:
That's a big ole oil pan!
Glad I mentioned it on titantalk, becuase I rarely check the level.

What filter wrench to yall use? I'm not seeing anything at walmart that look small enough.
you can go to the honda motorcycle dealer near you and buy a filter wrench for a honda goldwing. it works for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey kellyj00,
las vegas seems pretty safe
been living here for a while and nothing major happens here
sure its hot as H**l and sometimes we get flash floods
but they usually dont make it to the actual house because the majority are a few feet above street level...

and if you drive into the water on the road your just stupid cause you cant see whats under it and you dont know how deep it is. thats why you watch the level on the cars crossing infront of you and then determine if its safe :)

hope to see you soon...
lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
paintsnow said:
hey kellyj00,
las vegas seems pretty safe
been living here for a while and nothing major happens here
sure its hot as H**l and sometimes we get flash floods
but they usually dont make it to the actual house because the majority are a few feet above street level...

and if you drive into the water on the road your just stupid cause you cant see whats under it and you dont know how deep it is. thats why you watch the level on the cars crossing infront of you and then determine if its safe :)

hope to see you soon...
lol
funny... I'm off to Vegas on May 20th through 24th on business... never been there. Any suggestions on what I should check out?

·
Premium Member
43,122 Posts
kellyj00 said:
funny... I'm off to Vegas on May 20th through 24th on business... never been there. Any suggestions on what I should check out?
the bunny ranch!!:eyebrow:

·
Registered
264 Posts
For a filter wrench, hop down to your local motorcycle shop(Honda preferable), and buy yourself a filter wrench for the Honda Goldwing. It is the same size as the Titan's filter and works like a dream. Haven't had any probelms taking my filters off with that bad boy.

6.5 qts of oil is what should be in your engine. speaking of...I need to change my oil this weekend....

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here's an update... I added 1 more qt of oil last night after I let that all aluminum motor cool off a bit.

Thanks for the heads up fellas.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you go to walmart, find a filter (7417 I think) that is for the titan, take it out of the box and compare it to the filter wrenches.
I have a black socket type that fits just fine. Looks small but works very well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
it is a little disheartening about the oil filter size. when i did my first oil change a year ago, i was surprised to find out the filter wrench is the same one as i use for my hondas.... :rollingey honda changed the filter a few years ago to the smaller size, makes me wonder if all the manufacturer are all going with the same filter....... :eeeek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts