Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a drain plug? if so where. i have an 06 4x4, i dont think it matters. i dont have time to search. its getting dark quick. i took the shield off the bottm of the truck to get to the filter. under the filter it looks like a ramp for the oil to drain so it doesnt hit a bar thats there, and go everywhere.

to me, it looks like i just pull the filter, let it drain, put on the new filter and refill.

I also ask because i asked o'reilys what size washer i needed for the drain plug bolt and they had an answer, 12mm.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
The drain plug is on the passenger side of the oil pan. Make sure you don't unscrew the trans plug....lol.

Reactions: Anavrin351

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i also read it was under the oil filter. i think this is gonna suck doing in the dark

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
i also read it was under the oil filter. i think this is gonna suck doing in the dark
The oil plug is a couple feet away from the oil filter.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only one im seeing is on the bottom of the transmission, right under the passanger seat. the transmission oil pan doesnt have a drain plug that i could see.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i hate working on cars. i make the easiest sh!t difficult. Even an intake gives me problems. But its better than paying someone else to do it.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
the only one im seeing is on the bottom of the transmission, right under the passanger seat. the transmission oil pan doesnt have a drain plug that i could see.
The oil plug is is right after the end of the skid plate you removed. There is a picture of it somewhere on the forum. It's very easy to see when you are under there.

·
Premium Member
21,727 Posts
Thinking real hard.... (ouch that hurt!) The transmission pan is not covered by a skid plate, but the transfer case and engine pan are (maybe only on off-road option models). The transmission drain plug is vertical (it points straight up and down) and on a pan that is pretty much flat and horizontal. The engine drain plug on the other hand is mounted at maybe 45 degrees and is on a rounded pan that looks like a short loaf of bread and is located forward of the transmission pan between the LCA mounts.

Attached is a picture of the transmission pan as seen from the passenger side. The plug is located at the left, closest corner of the pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^thats what i saw, but the "loaf of bread" looked like it was attatched to the tranny. my truck is on all 4 and its kinda hard to see and get around under there. My LE has a skid plate under the Front diff and under the oil filter.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I just changed mine as well today too. The drain plug is at an angle a little bit, and is toward the passenger side (and if i remember correctly, just after the frame.)

Took all of about 20 min to drain everything, put the new filter in, and refill it.

(BTW, it took my 7 quarts, manual says 6 1/2, but it was at MIN when i put 6 1/2. (05 2WD BTW, but im sure it doesn't matter)

·
Premium Member
21,727 Posts
^^thats what i saw, but the "loaf of bread" looked like it was attatched to the tranny. my truck is on all 4 and its kinda hard to see and get around under there. My LE has a skid plate under the Front diff and under the oil filter.
The off-road option gives you a "door" on the skid plate so you can get to the oil filter. Otherwise the skid plate has to come off to remove/replace the filter.

I usually do not raise my Titan to change the oil. But I'm a skinny geek so even when using a rolling creeper there is plenty of room.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The off-road option gives you a "door" on the skid plate so you can get to the oil filter. Otherwise the skid plate has to come off to remove/replace the filter.

I usually do not raise my Titan to change the oil. But I'm a skinny geek so even when using a rolling creeper there is plenty of room.
ya the skid plate was obvious for me. The only other car i changed my own oil in was a FWD so the tranny was on the side and it was easy to ID what was what. The T was just different for me seeing the oil pan under the tranny. i thought for sure it was attatched to the tranny.
all done now with too many misshaps to name. i get frustrated and all sence goes out the window

·
Premium Member
21,727 Posts
all done now with too many misshaps to name. i get frustrated and all sence goes out the window
I'm with you there. I spent 12 hours last Saturday on the following:
Transmission (all the fluid, not just a drain and fill)
Engine oil
Transfer case
Front differential
Rear differential
Shocks

Even then my Titan wasn't ready to roll until Wednesday when I got more transmission fluid. It was the first time for me to do the transmission fluid. I made a lot of stupid, time consuming mistakes :bangit: that make me wonder why oh why do I put myself (and my poor Titan) through this. And then I remember it's because I'm a cheap bastard and I don't trust anybody else to do the things that I should be able to do myself. Plus it keeps me busy and out of the bars. :)

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I gotta say, that little ramp they put under the oil filter to funnel the oil that dumps out is fantastic. Never seen that before.
it didnt help me much. The oil still went all over the bar. It needs to be about an inch longer.

I'm with you there. I spent 12 hours last Saturday on the following:
Transmission (all the fluid, not just a drain and fill)
Engine oil
Transfer case
Front differential
Rear differential
Shocks

Even then my Titan wasn't ready to roll until Wednesday when I got more transmission fluid. It was the first time for me to do the transmission fluid. I made a lot of stupid, time consuming mistakes :bangit: that make me wonder why oh why do I put myself (and my poor Titan) through this. And then I remember it's because I'm a cheap bastard and I don't trust anybody else to do the things that I should be able to do myself. Plus it keeps me busy and out of the bars. :)
I need to do all those. i have never worked on a truck until today, or done any of those other than oil changes on other cars. I am getting a jack and stands before anymore work gets done. Having clearance would make life alot easier. I almost burned my eye brows off on the front cat on the pass side.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
It helps to drive up onto a couple of short 2x4's. That will give you a few more inches of clearance.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seriously man, you should pay the 50 bones and get someone to do it for you.
around here its only 35-40 bucks at a good shop. dealer is probably 50+. honestly i think i break even doing it myself, but it gives me something to do other than sitting on my *** watching tv. the GF is at work.

the oil was realy dark too, so maybe i will change it again sooner than later, just use the same filter since it was 12 bucks.

·
Premium Member
21,727 Posts
FWIW, the AMSoil interval is up to 35,000 miles or 12 months. But you have to change the filter at 25,000 miles. I don't think I have ever changed oil without also changing the filter and vice-versa.

Reactions: gweasel77
1 - 20 of 20 Posts