Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No this is not another oil thread. My New Titan had 1500 miles on it today and I couldn't stand to leave the original oil from the factory in it any longer. I dumped the oil, and changed the filter. I used a Mobil 1 filter and 7 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30. I have read where there was an access hole on the front skid plate. Not. I have also read about the slotted skid plate bolt holes on the rear of the skid plate. This is true but you still have to take all the bolts out to remove the skid plate. No way will it come out otherwise. What I found was that you need two oil drain containers if you want to drain the sump and take the oil filter off at the same time, unless you have a really long oil container. What a PITA. I have always changed the oil on a new motor after 500 miles or so. This time I was unable to due to a BMW was in my shop taking up all the room. Finally got the BMW finished, so in goes the Titan. I've used Mobil 1 in most of my vehicles after breaking in the motor, but never this early. I'm a little nervous. I've been wrenching as a profession all my life, but I've never switched to synthetic oil this early. What the heck ,I guess I will be be the test mule for the forum. What I did find when I was draining my oil was when I put a hole in the top of the original Nissan oil filter to get all the oil out, I watched a bunch of copper colored metallic flakes pour out of it. The oil was fairly clean and I didn't see any of this junk in the large container, but when I put that hole in the filter under my shop light on the work bench, I was a little shocked. I'm glad I changed the oil at 1500 mi instead of waiting for the first free oil change from the dealer. I decided they are not going to touch my truck unless it breaks down and I have to use the warranty. What do you think of going to synthetic oil this early?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Only the offroad skid plate has the access hole. Synthetic oil is the factory fill in numerous vehicles, I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Synthetic is fine. To properly analyze the oil, get a kit from Blackstone Labs and have them do it for $25. Visual from a punctured filter is basically useless/misleading. Copper could be media. Welcome to TT! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've always ran full synthetic oil in all my Titans from the first oil change on and love it. Most all new vehicles have it because it slightly helps fuel mileage which makes the numbers look better for the government.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I did the same with mine at 1000, Mobile 1 filter and 5w-30 synth. I'm a little over 2000 now, so far so good. My mother in law has a Jeep Liberty, now thats a PITA to change the filter, you can barely get your hands/wrench in to change the filter-I won't touch that one again! My T has the slotted screw holes in the skid plate, only had to loosen them and it slid right out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the same with mine at 1000, Mobile 1 filter and 5w-30 synth. I'm a little over 2000 now, so far so good. My mother in law has a Jeep Liberty, now thats a PIA to change the filter, you can barely get your hands/wrench in to change the filter-I won't touch that one again! My T has the slotted screw holes in the skid plate, only had to loosen them and it slid right out.

Yea i've got the sloted screws also , but I couldn't manage to wigle it out. Matbe next time I'll focus for on that. Glad to hear everything is going as it should with your truck after switching to synethic. I'm a fan of the stuff myself.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Yea i've got the sloted screws also , but I couldn't manage to wigle it out. Matbe next time I'll focus for on that. Glad to hear everything is going as it should with your truck after switching to synethic. I'm a fan of the stuff myself.
You remove the two front screws and loosen the two rear screws. The front of the plate will drop down, and then you slide it forward out of the rear slots.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I changed mine according to the maintance chart in my owners manual at 3600 miles and also put in 5w 30 mobil1 extended performance and mobil1 filter. The dealer wont touch mine either, but I am keeping all my receipts for warranty reasons.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I have been using full synthetic for the past 25yrs. When I purchase a truck new, I change out the oil and filter @500 miles and switch to synthetic. Several years and many trucks later...never any issues. Like mentioned, there are several vehicles which have synthetic direct from the factory (corvette, porsche just to name a few).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You remove the two front screws and loosen the two rear screws. The front of the plate will drop down, and then you slide it forward out of the rear slots.

Thanks for the tip . I will try this next time around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts