Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I DIY my oil changes. From the Owners Manual, synthetic is not specified.....correct? 5w-30, 6.8qts.

Any tips and tricks to share?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Most like to wait a couple oil changes before switching to synth. But a lot of us use it, for sure.

*EDIT* So it's YOUR first oil change, not the truck's? Use whatever oil you like.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Either have a good oil filter wrench or a super large pair of pliers to remove the filter. You can reuse the copper drain-plug washer if it is not damaged. Hmmmmmm, they recommend 6.8 quarts on an 09 Titan. I always use 6.5, and that puts the level an 1/8-1/4" below the max. line. I would run non-synthetic 5w-30 for the first 5000 miles and then switch to synthetic if you want to. I only use Nissan or Mobil 1 filters.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most like to wait a couple oil changes before switching to synth. But a lot of us use it, for sure.

*EDIT* So it's YOUR first oil change, not the truck's? Use whatever oil you like.
Right, my first time to change the oil. Probably the trucks 2nd oil change. It has 10k miles.

I am surprised synthetic is not required. With synthetic, how long do you run between oil changes.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Still depends on conditions. The oil itself doesn't wear down quite as fast (or so I am told), but it still picks up dirt and who knows what else over time. You can go longer than with normal oil, but not some insane amount like 20,000 miles or anything. Personally, I would think city driving change every 5-6K miles, mostly hwy 10K would be fine. Any longer than that and I would think the filter would start to get full. No scientific data to back that up, just what I do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a believer in synthetic oil. I used to have a 2000 Ford Ranger from the 30k mark I used Castrol Syntec or Mobile 1 Synthetic 10w-30 and 10w-40. When I traded it with over 200K on the dash, I never had any mechaincal issues with the motor, I still would crank up fast and same power it seemed as it was when I bought it new. I have used in it everything since.

The second high mileage vehicle I used it on was a 2002 Chevy 1500 4x4. It had 220K and still ran fine when I sold it. Both of those trucks held up to the rigors of rough paper routes. Those things are hell on a vehicle.

Its good to change it every 5000-6000 miles. But sometimes I may have gotten to 10,000 mile before I could change it (I DO NOT recommend doing that).
I am definitely a believer in Castrol Syntec and Mobile 1 Synthetic brands

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is it better to run regular oil and change every 3500 miles or run synthetic and change every 7000 miles? I would estimate 2 changes with regular oil is less costly than 1 change with synthetic.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
mobile 1 full sythetic will run you about 47 bucks for 7 qts. A case plus an extra qt. i think synthetic is better. change every 6-7k miles and you will be fine.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
mobile 1 full sythetic will run you about 47 bucks for 7 qts. A case plus an extra qt. i think synthetic is better. change every 6-7k miles and you will be fine.
I picked up 3 - 5 quart jugs at Oreilly's for 19.99 each a couple weeks ago, took care of my T and my wife's Pathfinder with a little to spare. Look for specials and buy it before you need it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would go Synthetic route. Instead of looking at the 2 oil changes with conventional vs. 1 with Synthetic. Look at it from a better on your motor in the long term. Hypothetically if you had a car and you knew it would get 150,000 on the motor before failure with Dino oil, but you knew you could get at least 200,000 on the motor with Synthectic oil. Wouldn't you spend $100-200 over the life time of the motor to get 50,000 more miles out of it?

This is how I look at it. Cheap extra insurance.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I picked up 3 - 5 quart jugs at Oreilly's for 19.99 each a couple weeks ago, took care of my T and my wife's Pathfinder with a little to spare. Look for specials and buy it before you need it.
i never even thought to look for sales on oil. costco has 6qts for 25 bucks sometimes, but my membership expired

·
Premium Member
58,286 Posts
Wally World has it in 5 qt jugs for somewhere between 25 and 30 bucks.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
i never even thought to look for sales on oil. costco has 6qts for 25 bucks sometimes, but my membership expired
Thread Hi-jack, where are you from in Wash. Anavrin? Lived in Yakima for 18 yrs and Wenachee for 12.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
im in black diamond now. 45 minutes SE of seattle

·
Registered
827 Posts
Wally World has it in 5 qt jugs for somewhere between 25 and 30 bucks.
I thought it was 19.99, or is that the 4 quart jug? Either way, doing it yourself with synthetic is still cheaper than most places charge to do it for you. Even Wal-Mart is 25 dollars now, and that is only for 5 quarts or less, over that (we need 6.5ish) and you get charged per quart.

To me, it makes sense both financially and for the truck to change it myself with synthetic.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Know the area, lived in auburn for a year, went to Green river CC long time ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts