Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first oil change on Saturday at the stealership. They did a very poor job. Next morning oil was on the driveway, it was dripping from front skid plate. I cleaned it and drove it a little bit, it drips again from same place.
I took it in today back to stealership and they said that it was left over oil from the oil change and the idiot blew it with compressed air. Now it is everywhere.
At home I looked underneath and saw that filter was in very odd place and hard to get to. Seems like you've to take the skid plate off and then replace the filter- Is this the way? I know they didn't take the skid plate down because bolts are not messed with.

Also I cleaned around the filter and skid plate, drove it about 25 miles and no oil is dripping from the filter. But i was pissed off that I've to do the cleaning. Nissan should look into redesigning the filter location.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Actually, I think the oil filter location is great. But, Nissan should have put an access door in the plate underneath the front of the engine so you could get to the filter easily.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
On my LE I removed the plate to change the oil and filter. I also wiped of the chute that the oils runs down. On my Pathfinder there is a little inspection plate to reach in through and I wipe the inside of the plate to catch the runoff so it doesn't drip like yours did. They should have sprayed carb cleaner to get it off and not used compressed air.
This is precisely why I do things myself.

Clint

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I have the PRO-4X with all the skid plates and there IS an access panel that removes for oil filter access. Anyone have a pic of what their talking about?

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Anyone have a pic of what their talking about?
This is the best I can do:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
54warrior said:
This is the best I can do:

:rofl:

Excellent usage of that picture. Poor Titan, but...ah that made me laugh.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think the filter is in a great place. Taking out 2 bolts and loosening the other 2 bolts on the skid plate to take it out is a small price to pay for the great location and decent protections. The other 2 hondas and one taco have/had the filter up either behind the wheel or against the firewall. When you change the filter, oil drips on the exhaust and down your arm. Both the titan and our frontier have the filter right up front and its a great design IMO.

Sorry about the rant. I change the oil myself just to avoid what you have just explained experienced. A quick valve makes it that much easier (and cleaner).

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
guls said:
I got my first oil change on Saturday at the stealership. They did a very poor job. Next morning oil was on the driveway, it was dripping from front skid plate. I cleaned it and drove it a little bit, it drips again from same place.
I took it in today back to stealership and they said that it was left over oil from the oil change and the idiot blew it with compressed air. Now it is everywhere.
At home I looked underneath and saw that filter was in very odd place and hard to get to. Seems like you've to take the skid plate off and then replace the filter- Is this the way? I know they didn't take the skid plate down because bolts are not messed with.

Also I cleaned around the filter and skid plate, drove it about 25 miles and no oil is dripping from the filter. But i was pissed off that I've to do the cleaning. Nissan should look into redesigning the filter location.
Pissed? You should be! Your dealer need to learn how to do the oil change the proper way. I do my own for this reason also. At least I know it's done right the first time.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
LMAO....I can't see the access panel in that pic, however I think it'd be easy to change while on its' side!
That's because there isn't an access panel. Just a large, black, stamped steel plate that has to be removed to get to the filter.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I think changing the oil on the Titan is probably one of the easiest of all the vehicles I've ever done. It takes an extra minute to undo all of the screws holding the skid plates on (boo hoo for those of you who ***** all the time about it:lol:). Now, changing the oil on my father's 2007 Silverado 2500HD Vortec....that's a pain in the rear. Never have I burned myself on the cat so many times in my life. Plus, I think a gorilla put that oil filter on that engine. I swear it was torqued down to at least 100 lb-ft.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I put Mobile1 in for the first time yesterday and I will be draining it out today.

Started the truck this morning and the engine rattled and it didnt want to idle until the oil started pumping.

I used 5-30 and a Wix filter.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't have enough miles on my truck to change the oil yet, but I did crawl around underneath last week just to check things out. From what I saw there are 4 measly bolts to remove to drop the skid plate & easily access the filter. Whoop dee doo.

Having worked in a dealership as a mechanic, i'm sure the guy that changed your oil thought he had a shortcut figured out by not removing the skid plate. We used to get "3/10ths" of an hour (18 minutes pay) to do an oil change, check all tire pressure (including the spare), do a quick road test, top off any low fluids, and fill out the window sticker. Dealership mechanics typically don't make much, hence why i'm no longer in that trade.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When the idiots at the stealership blew the oil with compressed air, it got everywhere. So today after work I crawled underneath took the skid plate off and wiped the oil off of everywhere. Next time I'm going to tell them if they don't take the skid plate off and show me the truck that there is no oil drip, I will go to other place.
Unfortunately I can't change my own oil because our subdivision restriction is that when working on car, the car has to be in the garage with door closed. And my neighbor watches everyone and reports accordingly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts