Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we already have a lot of MPG threads but I went on what I would consider my first real road trip with the Titan and wanted to share. This is in an 08 Pro4X. Drove from Northern California to Southern California on Highway 5 and back up. Traffic speed was around 75mph-80mph on avg (speed limit was 70mph). I wasn’t passing anyone aside from the trucks in the slow lane and just kept up with the traffic in front and behind me. This is what I had learned about the Titan’s MPG.

- This truck eats up a lot of gas at 75mph+. I now think it’s ideal sweat spot to get that advertised 17mpg is 60 or 65mph. But if I went that slow on 5, I would have been run off the road by everyone.
- I installed a tonneau cover in so cal and on the trip back up, the MPG stayed the same at 14MPG.
- I also did the 2* timing advance while in so cal and my MPG also did not change from 14MPG either.

So if someone were to ask me if a tonneau cover would help your MPG, I would say no. If someone says that the 2* timing advance helped out their MPGs, I would say that mine didn’t change. Overall the truck handled great. The nice big gusts of wind barely shifted the Titan. Road noise was at a minimum and the Pro4X suspension was not too bumpy for the rough sections of pavement.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
gas milage will improve after you put some miles on it

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
ecmeyla said:
gas milage will improve after you put some miles on it
What he said !!! ^^^^

Plus it will take a while for the truck to learn the 2* advance....
My mileage went down after the advance.............probably right foot failure to obey the brain......:dunno: :evillaugh :thumbsup:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be doing this same experiment again after I hit past 6k miles on the truck. The funny thing is I've hit 16mpg a couple of times driving from San Jose to San Francisco cruising at about 65MPH. This little trip was my first long distance drive of 5hours in the Titan and was hoping to get 15MPG since on a tank right now I get about 13.5-14mpg.

I honestly believe that at 65MPH on highway 5 (which is just a straight flat road, I would have hit 17MPG) but since I was going around 80 most of the way, my MPG just went downhill.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
FourDoor said:
I'll be doing this same experiment again after I hit past 6k miles on the truck. The funny thing is I've hit 16mpg a couple of times driving from San Jose to San Francisco cruising at about 65MPH. This little trip was my first long distance drive of 5hours in the Titan and was hoping to get 15MPG since on a tank right now I get about 13.5-14mpg.

I honestly believe that at 65MPH on highway 5 (which is just a straight flat road, I would have hit 17MPG) but since I was going around 80 most of the way, my MPG just went downhill.
I drove 550 miles all highway yesterday in my Titan, and avereaged between 15.5 and 16 mpg (mix of 70-80mph).

My truck is a 4x4 with the 2.94 rear and basically stock other than the 2* timing advance.

·
Registered
418 Posts
at 60mph, i get around 17 mpg. but that was after i put on my s&b cai. before that i got about 15. i can get 18-19 goin about 55. not bad for such a big truck. my cai really helped in the mpgs wayyyy more than i expected it too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts