Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a simple/dumb question for you guys. I am planning on taking my Titan Off-Roading around the Flagstaff, AZ area in the first week of January. I have a 2006 SE KC, big tow, and 4x4. My question is, when should I engage 4 wheel drive? There's gonna be snow up there, and I'm not sure when I should use it...Rookie question I know. lol. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks skimmilk68, just use common sense then? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
engage 4x4 only when you're not on dry pavement. Anytime else just use common sense and remember that you'll take a hit to your mpg when its engaged.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the help/ideas. So, to sum up using my 4 wheel drive, only use when not on dry pavement, use common sense, and if I get stuck. Thanks again guys, my mind is at ease for this upcoming trip. :D

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I learned this..MPG suck when in 4WD..so thats why this winter here in COLORADO I'm glad that its down to about $1.39 a gallon. The mountains are getting feet of snow..so fun to play in! so I'll drive around all day in 4WD.

But the key is, its shift on the fly. if you're on dry pavement, or a packed dirt road, you're fine. If you see ice/snow/mud, just anything that looks slick, roll into it, and just shift into 4WD. It takes a meer second to engage and you're good to go. Then when you start to see the road ahead become dry and such, switch it out just before you leave the slickness.

And this tought me well.. I went and got a motor from Craig, CO earlier this year. For those of you who know CO, I was stuck in traffic from Silverthorn, and the tunnel. It was the start of going up hill and it took 5 hours to go from both points..thats how slow traffic was. Now remind you I had pretty much, two ford motors in the bed of the truck, with a tranny. I was showing my buddy how 4WD works and how easy it shifts in and out. Show I put it in 4WD..then took it out..well truck never bumped out of 4WD.. I tried to build up speed to shift between 1st and 2nd gear, but traffic was so bad at a rolling slow, if I parked for 10 minutes, got 1/8th of travel space, someone would pull in and cut me off.. So all the way up the mountain, through the tunnel, no way to get out of 4wd. After the tunnel..found a slick spot on the side of the road (snow) and I hit the gas a little bit, bam, popped right out!

·
Registered
397 Posts
i have had to put mine in reverse and back up to get mine to pop out.

·
Registered
690 Posts
What kind of tires do you have?

I always air down before going on trails. Helps a lot. If I'm in snow, I just keep it in 4WD on the trails. If I really need the extra oomph, I go 4 low and use help if I need it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts