Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm an new member and looking at buying my first titan.I've loved these trucks for a long time and several friends have them, so I've got a good idea what I'm getting into.
I had a few questions about the specific truck I'm planning on buying this week that I hope you can guide me in the right direction with.
It's a 2005 crew cab.
First, it has a TON of miles, 205k. How long are you guys having these trucks last for? I've had them roll into my shop close to 300k, but I dont see enough of them where I'm at to be confident that's normal.
Second, are there any major issues with these around that mileage that I should look out for?
Third, I'm going to be towing a boat with this, so I'll probably kill that high mileage transmission at some point. What does the average replacement transmission cost in these? (Just parts, I'd replace it myself)
Fourth, its got nismo stickers on the bed, someone just slapped those on right? I thought the only true nismo package pickup was the frontier.
I live in the salt belt and this truck is rust free from Florida, so I'd like to make it work. I already test drove it once and liked it a lot, just want to check with people who own them first (my friends with titans like it too)
It's the only titan for sale within 200miles of me, so it's kind of this or nothing on a titan.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Major Issues:

Front and rear axle failures. With 205k they may have already been repaired.

Cracked Manifolds. With 205k they may have already been repaired.

Check the transmission cooling lines for any leaks. My Titan had the above problems but also made it to 245k before the tranny cooling lines broke and I was stranded roadside.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Okay, so you're looking at a 15yr old truck with 205k on it, to tow a boat? Is that because your budget won't allow for a more expensive truck or because you just happen to like this particular truck or because it's the only Titan for sale within 200mi of you? How big is your boat? Is it heavy, like a wakeboat, or light, like an aluminum fishing boat?

As for longevity, at over 200k, you have significant risk of major repair expense in the very near future. Sure, it might go 50k with no repairs. But the chance of it needing several thousand dollars in repairs in the next few months is very real. If you don't have several thousand dollars to repair it, onhand, and not obligated to other things, don't buy the truck. A new trans is going to run somewhere around $4-5k. Used with reasonable miles (but no guarantee of life remaining) is likely to range from $500 on Craigslist on up to $2500 or more from a used parts house. If your motor goes, you'll be looking at a similar expense to replace it. If the exhaust manifolds are cracked (good chance on this), figure $1.5-2k for parts to fix that, depending on how you do it and how long you want it to last. Rearend could go, which will run about $1k to fix.

None of that takes into account you could spend significant money on ABS systems, steering parts, or any other major systems. So if you're buying a used truck with 205k, you'd better have some cash on hand to fix it when it breaks, or you'd better like looking at it in the yard as an ornament. I'm not saying don't buy it. I'm saying if you're going to buy it, check it out thoroughly (compression test, leak down test, exhaust manifold cracks, tie rods, steering links, ball joints, control arms, rear axle seals, brakes, tires, interior functions, electronics systems, etc.) before you buy it, and pay a price which is commensurate with the condition (and thus the worth) of the vehicle. And have cash on hand to fix it or replace it when it breaks. Because it will break. And that's no knock to the Titan. Mine has been a great truck. But at 200+, you're on the losing side of "when not if it breaks."

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's not that bad in miles. It'd say see how many owners it had, get service history if possible, certainly look it over. If it's been maintained well and treated right 205k is just getting started in life for that Titan. You'll find info on refreshing a first Gen in this site if you type that into the search bar.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey man! If it was me I’d take it to a mechanic and have them check it out. No matter what when you buy used you are going to probably find somethings that needs done. Have them check over it:

transmission
4x4 system if it has it
Hoses
Belts
Suspension
Leaks

if you love the truck get it after it’s gone over by YOUR mechanic. 205,000 is a lot of miles but if you take care of it it will last you. The price of new trucks are so high. My Titan (2012) has 133,000 and still going strong. Have I had problems...yes but anything these day will. Enjoy it just don’t abuse it.

I upgraded the following on my Titan:

CSF (3328) all aluminum radiator
Rear diff vent mod (do this it’s cheap and easy)
Bilstein 1500 shocks
Upgraded rotors to carbon and better brake pads
I have not done the extra tranny cooler. Have fun with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts