Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2021 Nissan Titan PRO4X about six to seven months ago. Will provide a picture after I take one later today. Not really happy with the gas mileage and vented those frustrations to the dealership the other day with the first oil change and tire rotation. All and I've been doing the math! Kept all my gas receipts so far! My truck's computer is off 1.5 miles per gallon. So I'm actually getting 13 MPG! Anybody else seeing terrible numbers?

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
268 Posts
Bought a 2021 Nissan Titan PRO4X about six to seven months ago. Will provide a picture after I take one later today. Not really happy with the gas mileage and vented those frustrations to the dealership the other day with the first oil change and tire rotation. All and I've been doing the math! Kept all my gas receipts so far! My truck's computer is off 1.5 miles per gallon. So I'm actually getting 13 MPG! Anybody else seeing terrible numbers?
Do you mostly highway or city drive? Short commute or long? My 21’ P4x is averaging 400 miles per tank full. Mixed between city and highway. Simple math is around 16-17 miles per gallon as I usually get 23-24 gallons when I fill up. Are you heavy footed? Do you use adaptive cruise or “vintage” cruise? Where are you located? Higher altitude = lower MPG. Any aftermarket suspension or heavier wheels/tires? There are tons of variables.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Not uncommon for the dash mpg reading to be off by more than 1mpg. Beyond that, Sean raises good questions. As an example, I routinely get around 14mpg combined city/highway from my 2011 Pro4X (3" lift, 34.4" tires), but if my wife drives it, you can knock 1.5-2mpg off that immediately. She is a very heavy footed, late-breaking driver, and those traits burn fuel. When my truck was stock (bought it new in 2011) I was getting 15.5mpg combined. Lost some when I upgraded from p-series to LT tires (due to tire weight). Lost some again when I lifted it last summer and went to bigger tires.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The truck was lifted or leveled at the dealership. With the Icon kit! The tires are the stock General Grabbers 275/70r18. I think they stopped adding the bigger tires when Covid hit and sold it as is. So the only upgrades I did were minimal, a tri-fold tonneau cover and a few cosmetic things. Mainly highway and around town with the occasional trips to my hunting properties. Ones out of state, but its pretty much flat and you can only use straight wall rifle cartridges to hunt with. So altitude isn't a issue! I was wondering if the gearing was different in the PRO4X? At this point I'm worried about towing my 25' camping trailer and getting 9 MPG.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,308 Posts
i wouldn't worry about it, your going to get that towing from what i read.

unloaded you should be getting around 20mpg on the highway and 14ish in town. some get better and some get worse but that is about the middle range for town. i used to get 15-16 in town but i got heavier larger tires two weeks ago and i can see a down turn in the gas mileage department already. i might head out of town this weekend and see what i am getting on the highway where it might increase a hair

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,376 Posts
It's the red stickers up front creating extra drag and killing your MPG. :p

Give it a little time for the engine to loosen up a bit and you should see at least 15-16 MPG. Also try to make sure that you are consistent with the fuel you use. I go to 2 different gas stations at 4 locations pretty consistently. Also make sure your tires are inflated properly. IIRC, the PSI is 36 PSI for the P4X, I went ahead and kicked it up to 39 but the ride may be a little too firm for you.

Nice looking truck btw, is that the standard antenna or did you install a shorty? That's one thing I got rid of, the factory antenna. I figure the way it whips around wasn't good for drag on the highway. I installed a 3" and it looks much more sleek than the OEM.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,308 Posts
i changed mine for a 3" also.

i forgot the salutations! welcome to the club!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the antenna is a shorty! A vehicle accessory place near me sells them. It was some kind of booster deal and I can't remember the name of it. Maybe the paperwork is in the glovebox. I'll check! I go to the same gas station and I have a fleet account.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Give it a little time for the engine to loosen up a bit and you should see at least 15-16 MPG. Also try to make sure that you are consistent with the fuel you use. I go to 2 different gas stations at 4 locations pretty consistently. Also make sure your tires are inflated properly. IIRC, the PSI is 36 PSI for the P4X, I went ahead and kicked it up to 39 but the ride may be a little too firm for you.

Nice looking truck btw, is that the standard antenna or did you install a shorty? That's one thing I got rid of, the factory antenna. I figure the way it whips around wasn't good for drag on the highway. I installed a 3" and it looks much more sleek than the OEM.
Probably the two big bug spats that I cleaned off the grill!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

It is a TEKK 4.5" antenna! Supposedly it optimizes AM/FM signal.

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,376 Posts
Yes the antenna is a shorty! A vehicle accessory place near me sells them. It was some kind of booster deal and I can't remember the name of it. Maybe the paperwork is in the glovebox. I'll check! I go to the same gas station and I have a fleet account.
I feel a little obsessive compulsive, but the first thing I did after taking delivery of my truck was to go and buy some octane booster and add it to the tank. The dealership is going to put the cheapest gas they can. In this area, we have a problem with some shady gas station owners that either have old gas tanks not equipped for the E10-E15 gas, or some that use cheaper gas than what's labeled on their pumps. There's one such gas station that has Shell station colors, but doesn't use the Shell logo. I tried using my Shell card and it didn't work.

What's the PSI on your tires? If a little low, this should be a good opportunity to check that cool feature that lets you air up the tires and have the truck honk at you once the tires are properly inflated. I personally haven't used that feature, as my air compressor has a built in gauge, and I think it only works with the engine running. Interesting features?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got back from the Nissan dealer! The truck is stuck in tow mode. Nothing on the dash says it is on and the switch doesn't work. Their going to set up an appointment as soon as they can have a loner. So here we go with an electrical problem! No wonder the gas mileage is terrible!

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
268 Posts
Fantastic news they figured out what could. E causing such low MPG. Hopeful for a positive outcome very soon!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think with a large truck and V8 engine you can't expect good gas mileage. If you are that concerned about gas milage you should have bought a prius.

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
268 Posts
I think with a large truck and V8 engine you can't expect good gas mileage. If you are that concerned about gas milage you should have bought a prius.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm getting 13.2 mpg and 368 miles per fill up! I know it's a truck, but my diesel F-450 utility truck with a Lincoln welder, oxygen/acetylene bottles and a generator. Along with a fuel tank, tools, rod oven, welding rod, jib picker and lift-gate. Get around 18 mpg! And I'm hauling around 6800# in a 2 ton vehicle. This Nissan is a 1/2 ton! Hopefully, it is because it is stuck in the tow mode.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts