Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this truck (04 Big Tow 4x4) to pull my boat with one week ago. Today was the first time I had a chance to hook the boat up and give it a test pull. I pulled to the ramp just a few miles from the house. Launched the boat and pulled it back out with no issues. Did not have to use four-wheel drive. I'm not sure of the tongue weight but it definitely sagged the *** end of the truck. My question is what would be the best solution to not have the truck sag so much? Air bags, different springs or shocks?

·
Premium Member
68,096 Posts
Dang, that's a lot of boat. They have the engine over the trailer wheels and everything else on the tongue. I think a trip to the scales at a local truck stop is in order.

·
Premium Member
68,096 Posts
Does that have surge brakes on the trailer?

·
Premium Member
68,096 Posts
If the weight isn't over the limit, a good set of airbags will be a great help. They added a lot of stability to my truck. I'm afraid that the tongue weight is gonna be very high on that setup.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Helper springs helped mine from sagging and got rid of some axle wrap I had going on.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Rated tongue weight is no more than 940 lbs, assuming you have the tow package and other options.

I towed my 11K RV trailer with a tongue weight close to 1,000 lbs and I broke the leaf spring bracket that is attached to the frame. The leaf spring shackle was also damaged.

Air bags might help, but you're still over the rating. The hitch is rated for 940 lbs only when used with a weight distributing hitch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may be able to move the boat back about 3 or 4 inches. Not sure how much that will help. Hitch is rated at 10,000/1,000
Truck has Big Tow

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
I may be able to move the boat back about 3 or 4 inches. Not sure how much that will help. Hitch is rated at 10,000/1,000
Truck has Big Tow
It's rated for that only when using a WDH. At least, that's how my '07 was labeled.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After looking around and doing some research. It looks like I'll have to invest about $800 for what I'll need to make a WDH work with my boat trailer.
So I think I can move the boat back enough to get the tounge weight down around 700 lbs and go the air bag route.

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Air bags will help with the squat caused by the high tongue weight. But they don't do anything for getting weight transferred back to the front axle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Moved the boat back almost 2'.
Tounge weight is down to 600 lbs.
Which I'm guessing is at about 9% of the total boat and trailer weight (7000lb est).
Truck sits nice and level now.

·
Premium Member
68,096 Posts
I'd be real leary of a steep boat ramp. A boat that big and heavy could drag you right down in the water with it.

·
Premium Member
68,096 Posts
I'd also like more info on the 10.90 streetcar... :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts