Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As with any first year vehicle, it seems the 2004 Titan has the most issues out of the years it's been produced so far. My question is exactly how much more likely is it to have a problemetic truck due to it being a 2004, and how likely is it that the problems have already been fixed at this point? I'd think that at this point someone who owned the truck previously would have had the issues resolved.

One issue I read about about concerned me especially, and that had to do with the rear end being "too small," and supposedly the newer titans had a bigger one. Is that being swapped into 04/05 titans at no cost?

Feel free to point me to links if there's a thread asking the same thing.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have a very early '04 (check the sig) and have 60,000 miles on it. I did have the brakes fixed (under warranty) but I don't consider that to be any great tale of woe. Nissan took good care of me. My stupid Ford was a real PITA and Ford made me go to arbitration over an issue regarding the radio not working right.

I tow a 7,000# travel trailer (regularly) and the truck is just great. Sorry, but I don't get how these guys are cratering differentials.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies guys. anyone else?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Another here that had the brake issue but since the fix it's been pretty good. Now for the rear end. I believe it's the same rear on the newer years as on the '04. The difference was the finned cover that dissipates the heat better. I had mine replaced. Below is the old and new ones. I also tow a 7500 lbs camping trailer with a 6" lift. Great truck!

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Bought an 04 from the local BMW dealer that they bought out of Oregon with only 17K miles and all I have had to have done was the brake fix and the front diff replaced. Its snows a lot here and I guess one of the axles broke away from the diff and they replaced the whole diff.

No problems here, but I would like to get the new rear diff cover like TitanicDJ there. I see mine has all the paint baked off and the seems to be a very small slow leak there. You know the metal is looks wet on the bottom of the diff, but no puddles in the driveway.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I had my rear differential replaced, the brakes fixed, the radio fade done, the new lock cylinders, and of course the recall on the trailer wiring harness.

MY A/C freezes but so far, the dealership says nothing is wrong even though the TSB would beg to differ.

I didn't worry about any of it because I would expect a first run model to have break in issues.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TitanicDJ said:
Another here that had the brake issue but since the fix it's been pretty good. Now for the rear end. I believe it's the same rear on the newer years as on the '04. The difference was the finned cover that dissipates the heat better. I had mine replaced. Below is the old and new ones. I also tow a 7500 lbs camping trailer with a 6" lift. Great truck!
Did Nissan put on the new cover for free?

Kronos1965 said:
I had my rear differential replaced, the brakes fixed, the radio fade done, the new lock cylinders, and of course the recall on the trailer wiring harness.

MY A/C freezes but so far, the dealership says nothing is wrong even though the TSB would beg to differ.

I didn't worry about any of it because I would expect a first run model to have break in issues.
I would agree that it's common, but I'm buying 3 years after that first year model was released, so I'm trying to avoid those issues if possible.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
DVan8504 said:

My new axle and cover were free...

I would agree that it's common, but I'm buying 3 years after that first year model was released, so I'm trying to avoid those issues if possible.
If you're buying used, all of the issues I've described are easy to see if they have been fixed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just had my rear diff worked on because I too could see the leakage. I was told and it appears correct that the leaking was from a breather hole being clogged. That said I don't do enough off roading to do that, so it must just be a design flaw. The diff is ok so far tho.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
DVan8504 said:
If you look at the first image you'll see how wet or the seepage around the left side of the diff. I took it in and the dealer said they would look at it and change the gasket...came back later that day and the ended up putting on the cover under warranty.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kronos1965 said:
If you're buying used, all of the issues I've described are easy to see if they have been fixed.
By having them pull a dealer service record I'm guessing?

TitanicDJ said:
If you look at the first image you'll see how wet or the seepage around the left side of the diff. I took it in and the dealer said they would look at it and change the gasket...came back later that day and the ended up putting on the cover under warranty.
Well, that's good to know they're standing behind it. It certainly looks better than the old one.

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
My 2004 was one of the good ones as far as the brakes are concerned, my brakes were fine until I put about 35000+ miles on the pads and instead of a normal brake service, I had the judder fix put on then, my service manager is pretty cool. I had the FM radio fade fixed, trailer harness replaced and some other minor nits related to wear and tear. The three big ones I had were the c-clip on the driver side front axle shaft coming loose, allowing my front diff to slowly drain and eventually grenade, a blown rear axle seal that I caught early, and a mysterious radiator leak. I still have my original rear diff but I have a completely new front final drive assembly and radiator, both under warranty. Still going strong though and getting stronger, wouldn't trade her in for anything, except maybe a diesel Titan.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts