Nissan Titan Forum banner

Fitting a 08+ gauge cluster into a 05' possible?

57K views 111 replies 25 participants last post by  GAM3OVAR 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am thinking of replacing my 05 cluster with a 08+ model. Was wondering if this has been done or not?

***UPDATE! We got it figured out! Wiring instructions are posted at the end of the post!***

#3 ·
I think I might have to try it, I just hope not to fry anything :)

#4 ·
Won't work, the cluster is smaller on the 08 and up, than the 04-07. You could swap in a cluster from a QX56 into your titan, from 04-07 but make sure the cluster is not from a QX56 that had he ICC (intelligent cruise control) cause it will not work.

#5 · (Edited)
Not true, they are the exact same size. I installed it today and it worked. Although it threw a code and went into limp mode as soon as I hit the brake pedal? I looked at the wiring and it looks like pin 17 should be a ground on the 08+ and a brake pedal switch on the 04-07. Ill ground the wire and try it again another day. Also the SLIP light was illuminated which I think I need to swap pin 10 and 18 as this is the wire for the brake fluid. Everything else looked like it worked!

#7 ·
I wish :) This cluster is from a 09' model I believe. The miles stay on the cluster

#12 ·
The white pro 4-x's seem to be dim.

I just swapped the gauges in mine ('11 SL w/ 800 miles) for an '11 pro 4-x with 6 miles and the white is dim even at full brightness.

I'll have to look at it tonight and see how it looks in the dark.

#10 ·
Subscribing!!!

#11 ·
Man there's no way to rewind some of the miles even if you swap clusters my Titan seen beter days
I would like to put a low mileage cluster in the t and make it look new again

#17 ·
Havent had time to retry it. Only problem is when you touch the brake pedal the car dies down and you get an error code. I looked at both wiring diagrams for the 04-07 and the 08+ and there is one wire coming off the pedal switch I am not sure were it goes. Ill post up here if I ever figure it out.

Reactions: scottp83
#23 ·
dgreen78, have you gotten your cluster working yet?

#25 ·
Did you ever get this to work? I bought an 06 and used to have an 08. I miss the gauges but that seems to be the only thing I miss

#27 ·
Nope. Cluster is collecting dust in my garage.

As I said before, if I ever tinker with it again and get it working I will post here.

#28 · (Edited)
Bringing this back. I just swapped in a 08 QX56 cluster into my dads 04. I just had to depin the titan harness and repin the harness to match the QX56. Only thing that doesn't function is the oil pressure gauge as the titan reads direct from a oil pressure sensor and the qx56 gets its reading via can wires. It just kinda acts like a dummy gauge and reads at midway between high and low. I know exactly why the truck is going into limp mode when you plug in the cluster. If there is enough interest I can put a diagram together to be able to swap in the newer titan cluster in place of the older style. You will at least need a pig tail harness for the smaller plug on the newer cluster as the newer cluster has 2 connectors and the older cluster has 1.

#29 · (Edited)
I am looking at the 04 vs 08 wiring and it looks like the brake pedal causing limp mode is due to pin 9 and 17 being swapped in 08, it also looks like Illumination will be wrong since pin 18 of 40-Pin on 04 needs moved to pin 50 of 10-Pin connector on 08 but can't do this without pigtail for 10 pin.

9- Stop Switch - R/G
17- Ground- B
18- Illumination - BR

9- Ground - B
17- Stop Switch - R/G
50- Illumination - BR

I don't think there is much we can do about slip light being on as it looks to come across on the can signal line.

#30 ·
Slip light should function as normal as they both (04 and 08) function via can lines. The slip light is lighting up because there is a error in the brake system. This light along with the Brake and VDC light up anytime there is a error in the brake system, so I'm willing to bet SLIP is lighting up because of the brake switch wire being in the wrong position

#34 ·
Can you post up the wiring diagrams? I never got around to trying to install again. Would like to get it done someday!

#37 ·
Thanks for the update! How did you work around the brake pedal sending a ground signal? Relay?

Is the display bright at night? I remember when I attempted this it was very dim for some reason.

#39 ·
So I want to know what is the status of the FE/DTE display? I am assuming that the FE/DTE won't display your fuel economy or distance to empty unless you upgrade your ECU...just a guess though.

IMO, I'd just suggest to others to LED swap the older cluster, the older cluster looks nicer (after an LED swap) and is less cheap looking than the latest cluster.