Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you "do-it-yourselfers", I found a fix for the instrument cluster squeak.

It's been driving me insane and I still have 1500 miles to go before service and I didn't want to take it in just for that. So I decided to find the problem.

The problem comes from the bezel rubbing on the clear face of the guages.

Here's how I fixed it:

1. Remove the 2 screws at the bottom that holds on the lower panel.
2. Gently pull of the lower panel (It's held on with those metal clips on the plastic tabs)
3. Gently pull of the instrument cluster bezel (It's held on with the same clips. 1 on each lower corner and like 4 around the curve at the top)
4. The trim ring around the ignition switch will pop off and freak you out, but it goes right back on.
5. The bezel will not come out all the way out because of the switches on the lower left side...that's ok.
6. With the bezel loose you should be able to see behind it and note the 4 white rubber bumpers...1 in each corner.
7. Take those off and put something in the hole so that it doesn't go back on as far. I used some weed eater line that I cut about 1/16 of an inch long.
8. Put the rubber tips back on and reverse the procedure putting everything back together.

Now the bezel does not touch the clear plastic...No more squeeking!! :)

Sorry I didn't take any pictures, but once I had it back together and saw that it was fixed, I didn't want to take it apart again.

It was very easy, and if you take your time, it should only take you like 20 minutes.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Greg

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Titan Greg said:
For all you "do-it-yourselfers", I found a fix for the instrument cluster squeak.

It's been driving me insane and I still have 1500 miles to go before service and I didn't want to take it in just for that. So I decided to find the problem.

Here's how I fixed it:

2. Gently pull of the lower panel (It's held on with those metal clips on the plastic tabs)
3. Gently pull of the instrument cluster bezel (It's held on with the same clips. 1 on each lower corner and like 4 around the curve at the top)
4. The trim ring around the ignition switch will pop off and freak you out, but it goes right back on.
5. The bezel will not come out all the way out because of the switches on the lower left side...that's ok.
6. With the bezel loose you should be able to see behind it and note the 4 white rubber bumpers...1 in each corner.
7. Take those off and put something in the hole so that it doesn't go back on as far. I used some weed eater line that I cut about 1/16 of an inch long.
8. Put the rubber tips back on and reverse the procedure putting everything back together.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures, but once I had it back together and saw that it was fixed, I didn't want to take it apart again.

It was very easy, and if you take your time, it should only take you like 20 minutes.

-Greg
Ahhh..... That's so much better. Your fix got rid of most of it, thanks!!!
There was still a little squeaking left so I shoved a pic of my girl up under the bezel to space it more. She will think that's sweet and I will enjoy the peace and quiet of no more squeaky dash. It's a win-win.

·
Premium Member
17,096 Posts
pciley said:
Ahhh..... That's so much better. Your fix got rid of most of it, thanks!!!
There was still a little squeaking left so I shoved a pic of my girl up under the bezel to space it more. She will think that's sweet and I will enjoy the peace and quiet of no more squeaky dash. It's a win-win.
This will probably appear in the TSB "Request that customer provide a photograph"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to see this is helping others! An easy fix for the most annoying squeek I've even heard in a vehicle.

-Greg

·
Registered
739 Posts
bestatchess:

Gotta love your one line posts!! Good sense of humour!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Titan Greg said:

Here's how I fixed it:

-Greg

Excllent work man! Did you just figure that out? I don't have thi sproblem but saved it in my Titan Technical folder. Thanks again.!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1Titan said:
Excllent work man! Did you just figure that out? I don't have thi sproblem but saved it in my Titan Technical folder. Thanks again.!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks! Actually, yes I did. The noise was driving me insane, so I just took the dash apart. Figured I'd find something. I first put some foam behind it...didn't help at all. So after twisting like a pretzel to see behind the bezel, I noticed those rubber things.

I have this thing about figuring stuff out and not leaving things well enough alone. I just got lucky!

-Greg

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just used a clear piece of thin mailing tape at the top of the gauge cluster. I didn't have to pull any bolts either. Just pop the bezel out around the top and flex it towards you. Apply a small, thin piece of clear tape high enough that the bezel will cover it. Snap bezel back into place. Voila.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys - hoping someone can help me out with this one - the squeek just started on my new '08 LE. Wondering what the best way to fix is - I have read and hears about taking the bezel out and making the spacers longer, trying tape in between, silicon spray, spacers etc. Wondering what the easiest and best way is?

Also is the rubbing / problem where the bezel meets up with the clear plastic lens underneath the upper lip or is it in the back where it meets up with the dash?

Lastly, what is the best way to pull the bezel off or apart - I don't want ot break or crack something.

thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts