Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change oil in my Titan this weekend and want to know from those that have changed theirs already if the process is the usual. Is the filter easy to get to? Any other comments?

Thanks,

Robert

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Filter is simple to get to. If you have the Off Raod package, you have to remove an access plate to get to the filter. Look under the front bumper, you should see the small square plate.

The filter is pretty tight on there and you will be surprised at the size of it...its on the small side.

Chris

·
Registered
160 Posts
I went in for my 1st oil change and during the normal checkup routine they found a defective oil sensor unit (was leaking a little oil) Replacement part should be in today or Friday. I am glad I didn’t use one of the express oil change shops.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Like cali titan said, the filter is on there TIGHT. Be prepared with either a filter socket wrench or I used a strap wrench like the ones you can buy at Sears. Even with that it was a pain. Also you'll need 7 quarts of whatever oil you choose to use.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
CaliforniaTitan said:
Filter is simple to get to. If you have the Off Raod package, you have to remove an access plate to get to the filter. Look under the front bumper, you should see the small square plate.

The filter is pretty tight on there and you will be surprised at the size of it...its on the small side.

Chris
Right now I'm in the process of changing my oil. I crawled under my Titan (about even with the driver's door) to change my oil like I have done on my GMC Sierra for years. I went to put the wrench on the drain plug and when I looked closely I noticed it was the Transmission fluid pan with a drain plug.The motor oil pan on Titans is WAY far forward. I guess it's like that because the Titan has a cab forward design. The best way to go about changing your oil is to go at it from the front end of the truck. The oil pan on the Titan is very small. To me it looks smaller than the transmission fluid pan. The filter is very small also. Both of these parts look like they were sized to fit go carts. I hope size doesn't matter in this case! :lookaroun Anyway, I could't find the filter on my Titan! On most cars and trucks the filter is located near the drain plug. On the titan it seems further forward than what I am used to. I looked from the side and saw it under the access plate (thanks for the tip CaliforniaTitan). However, I don't have 4 wheel drive or the Off Road package and but still have the access plate. Is this how it is on every Titan? One little tip: Before you crawl under your Titan to change oil be sure to take a 10 mm wrench with you to get the access plate off. It seems like a duh thing to me but it seems like the Nissan engineers should have made the bolts that hold on the access plate the same 9/16" size as the drain plug so that you would need only one wrench to change oil.

Also, when I looked at the oil filter on my Titan I noticed that there is a hose coming from just above where the filter screws on. Is this an oil cooler like the Tundra has?

I am useing Havoline 5w-30w. I could not find the Chevron Supreme in 5w-30w at Walmart, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, or even a Chevron Station! They all had the other viscosities. Does anybody know where to get Chevron Supreme in 5w-30w?

I have let my Titan drain its oil for about 30 minutes now, so I will finish things up with the oil change and let everyone know what else I find.

Robert

·
Registered
823 Posts
I just bought 9 quarts (that's all they had) of Chevron 10W-30 at my local Wal-Mart. You may live in a colder climate where 5W-30 would benefit you more than myself though. You may to keep looking at different Wal-Marts to find the viscosity grade you need.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Oil Change Update

You will need a 10mm socket wrench with a 4" extension to remove the access plate rather than a 10mm wrench. The front bolts are recessed a little and a socket wrench works much better.

The oil filter is on very tight. Let me repeat: VERY tight! Unless you have a capital "S" on your chest don't try to remove it by hand. I have a oil filter wrench made for small filters and even it was too big for the very small Titan oil filter! Tip: after you buy your oil filter from Nissan, go right then to an auto parts store and take the Titan filter inside with you and purchase a filter wrench that will fit it. Luckily I had a Craftsman strap wrench that plumbers use on decorative chrome pieces of pipe that I used. Even then, it was tight. I thought that the filter had left hand threads or something. I finally got the filter off, but it was on so tight that I crushed the sides of the filter a bit in the process of removing it.

One nice feature that I like: Nissan put a little "chute" next to the oil filter for the oil to run down when you unscrew the oil filter. This is much better than oil running down the length of your arm. Just be sure to move your drain pan under the filter when you remove it. A lot of oil comes down that chute.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
JetForeman said:
Are you going to do an oil sample Robert and how many miles do you have on your oil?
I am not going to do an oil sample test this time. This is my first oil change at about 1,500 miles. I would have liked to have changed oil sooner but we have had some rain and it made it inconveinent to change it at around 1,000 mi. There has been a lot of talk about proper oil usage, proper break in procedures etc. on Titantalk and I am a firm believer in all of that. My last four vehicles I have bought new and have been very anal about the break in period and earlier than normal oil changes while the engine has few miles on it. All of the engines on these vehicles have outlasted the usefulness of the vehicles. All of the engines had more than 140,000 miles when sold and didn't "burn" or use any oil. I hardly had to add oil between oil changes. I attribute this to very frequent oil changes for the first 7,000 miles or so and not "dogging" the vehicle until it has several thousand miles on it.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm finished changing my oil and want to add these final thoughts that might help everyone. First, the oil capacity is over 7 quarts, not 6-1/2 quarts like the owners manual says. Yes, I did check the oil with the Titan parked on a level surface, I did start it and let oil get into the filter, and I did allow enough time for all of the oil to find its way back before I measured it again. With this in mind, you may want to buy 3 individual bottles of oil when you buy a case so that you will have enough oil for two oil changes.

Second, If you hear a "cracking" sound when you tighten the oil filler cap, don't worry. The cap has a over tightening protection mechanism just like gas caps.

Third, I like how there is enough room in the engine compartment next to the oil filler cap to be able to lower the bottom of the oil bottle lower than the oil fill opening. This allows for spillproof oil fills.

Last, I really don't know what the purpose of the cover plate is. It doesn't seem to protect or cover anything. I wonder if Titan owners who never go offroad really need it. Could it be left off? If so, it would make oil changes easier and faster.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm not sure I would leave the cover plate off Robert. It provides some protection to the ATF cooler lines, oil filter, lower crank pulley and belt. Over the years I've hit 2 tractor trailer tire carcasses on the highway and wished at that time I had some form of front engine protection because both times it caused a lot of under body damage to my vehicles. I vote to put up with the relatively small hassle and just keep it on.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JetForeman said:
I'm not sure I would leave the cover plate off Robert. It provides some protection to the ATF cooler lines, oil filter, lower crank pulley and belt. Over the years I've hit 2 tractor trailer tire carcasses on the highway and wished at that time I had some form of front engine protection because both times it caused a lot of under body damage to my vehicles. I vote to put up with the relatively small hassle and just keep it on.
Yes, good point Jet. Even though the stuff you mentioned is above the frame, if something you run over happens to bounce up, as it often does, it could cause trouble. I'm glad I have you guys to think for me.

Robert

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm finished changing my oil and want to add these final thoughts that might help everyone. First, the oil capacity is over 7 quarts, not 6-1/2 quarts like the owners manual says. Yes, I did check the oil with the Titan parked on a level surface, I did start it and let oil get into the filter, and I did allow enough time for all of the oil to find its way back before I measured it again. With this in mind, you may want to buy 3 individual bottles of oil when you buy a case so that you will have enough oil for two oil changes.

Second, If you hear a "cracking" sound when you tighten the oil filler cap, don't worry. The cap has a over tightening protection mechanism just like gas caps.

Third, I like how there is enough room in the engine compartment next to the oil filler cap to be able to lower the bottom of the oil bottle lower than the oil fill opening. This allows for spillproof oil fills.

Last, I really don't know what the purpose of the cover plate is. It doesn't seem to protect or cover anything. I wonder if Titan owners who never go offroad really need it. Could it be left off? If so, it would make oil changes easier and faster.
So, my question is exactly how many qts of oil did you have to add? I put 7 qts and the oil barely touches the low level on the dipstck?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I have a socket type oil filter wrench, but it is a little too big for the Titan oil filter and slips a little bit. To stop this i screwed 2 wood screws through the plastic filter wrench into the oil filter to keep it from slipping on the filter when removing it. I know it sounds like it would be messy, but it actually dosen't leak much oil onto the ratchet and your arm.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I have been using the local dealership to change my oil until I realized I was paying a $7-8 asshole tax on each oil change....otherwise known as "shop supplies." I mentioned this to the service adviser and asked how they justified these charges. His answer? According to him that's an "environmental charge" for disposing of used motor oil. :ftard: Bull butter! Landers Mclarty Nissan FTL.:bangit: Apparently there are companies that pay good $$$ to the dealers for this used motor oil. So they're just adding on a 20% surcharge to oil changes for gratuity. Incidentally, local auto parts stores dispose of motor oil for free. :eyebrow:

I plan on changing my own oil from now on. One question: do any of you add oil to the new filter before installing it?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I usually add a little to the filter before installing it. I think it helps get the oil to the engine quicker on the initial start. The filter is at a little angle, so you can't fill it completely up, or some will spill out when you install it. I don't really know if it helps to do this or not, especially with such a small filter, but it's just something i've always done.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
The oil pan on the Titan is very small. To me it looks smaller than the transmission fluid pan.
Our trucks have a two-piece oil pan. The larger portion of it which attached to the engine block like your typical pan is aluminum. Then the small, stamped steel part, which you are referring to is bolted onto that. I kinda like that design. If one were to strip out the drain plug hole, you could simply unbolt the lower steel portion and put a new one on, vice replacing the entire pan, or trying to re-thread it, etc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
hah way to go man on using that search engine. This thread is from 2004 :D But, I just don;t understand how you can realisticly think it is still worth it to change your own oil. 20 bucks for change and filter..usually 30 for our trucks because it takes 7 quarts of oil. Over here they have a place that gives you a free tire rotation as well. I used to be one of the guys who changed his own oil and would fight someone because charcoal is better than gas...but in the end I was wrong. All about easy these days for most things, face it we are one big lazy USA compared to a decade ago.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts