Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all 08 titan E85 compatible? My 08 titan doesn't say flex fuel on the tailgate but on the fuel door it says regular gasline or E85 ethnol.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
9sec95autoTT said:
Are all 08 titan E85 compatible? My 08 titan doesn't say flex fuel on the tailgate but on the fuel door it says regular gasline or E85 ethnol.
yes they are, I found a E85 station down from me which I'm putting in this week and see how it works

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes, and if you still want to make sure, dealre service dept. can punch in your VIN in their computer and let you know if it is or not. But it is not worth it.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
E85 is a scam. Period.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, it is a good thing to know that I can use both regular gasline and E85. I think I am going to try the E85 to see if there is anything difference.

·
Registered
321 Posts
9sec95autoTT said:
Thanks for the replies, it is a good thing to know that I can use both regular gasline and E85. I think I am going to try the E85 to see if there is anything difference.
Only difference is you will think the 14 MPG you got with gas was GREAT:thumbsup:

E85 yeilds less power then gas, so the engine has to burn more to maintain power levels, which obviously will make your MPG drop dramatically.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do not understand why E-85 is a scam. I know the mileage is worse but no one has ever denied that. I do not have it in my area but from what I have seen in my travels is that it is cheaper than gas. I guess this would make up the difference in the worse mileage? So why not support a fuel that is made in America? I do not have all the facts on this but just an opinion.

·
Registered
196 Posts
guls said:
Yes, and if you still want to make sure, dealre service dept. can punch in your VIN in their computer and let you know if it is or not. But it is not worth it.
No need to ask the dealer. If the fourth digit is a B then it is an E85 titan. If it is an A it is not E85 capable.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Dorsey said:
No need to ask the dealer. If the fourth digit is a B then it is an E85 titan. If it is an A it is not E85 capable.
My fourth digit is a B and my fifth is an A. :)

Strange though - I saw some Titans on the lot the other day that had the big ugly flexfuel badge on the back. Mine does not. So is that badge new for the .5 models I wonder?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
k2dunks said:
I do not understand why E-85 is a scam. I know the mileage is worse but no one has ever denied that. I do not have it in my area but from what I have seen in my travels is that it is cheaper than gas. I guess this would make up the difference in the worse mileage? So why not support a fuel that is made in America? I do not have all the facts on this but just an opinion.
I consider it a scam because it takes *almost* as much fossil fuel to turn corn into E85 as the fuel you get from the process. It is great that it can be made in America BUT - if we really flip corn production to fuel our countries thirst you'll see the price of anything grown or raised on a farm double. That and the jury is still out on if the emissions of an E85 vehicle are really any better than standard 87 octane.

Also, the fact that it doesn't have as much power - well that's just lame. :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
ecmeyla said:
yes they are, I found a E85 station down from me which I'm putting in this week and see how it works

Just to be clear to everyone, not all 08's are flex fuel capably. You will ruin you truck if you put E85 in a non-FFV.

The primary differences from non-FFVs is the elimination of bare magnesium, aluminum, and rubber parts in the fuel system, the use of fuel pumps capable of operating with electrically conductive (ethanol) instead of non-conducting dielectric (gasoline) fuel, specially-coated wear-resistant engine parts, fuel injection control systems having a wider range of pulse widths (for injecting approximately 40% more fuel), the selection of stainless steel fuel lines (sometimes lined with plastic), the selection of stainless steel fuel tanks in place of terne fuel tanks, and, in some cases, the use of acid-neutralizing motor oil. For vehicles with fuel-tank mounted fuel pumps, additional differences to prevent arcing, as well as flame arrestors positioned in the tank's fill pipe, are also sometimes used.

The horsepower a given engine has when using E85 is comparable (or slightly lower in some instances) to gasoline. Depending on composition and source, E85 has an octane rating of 100 to 105 [3] compared to regular gasoline's typical rating of 87 for regular and 93 for premium. This allows it to be used in higher compression engines, which can lower emissions.

E85 gets approximately 25% fewer miles per gallon. In order to save money at the pump the price differentiation between gasoline and e85 would need to exceed 25%. Currently E85 is about 5-10% less expensive in most areas.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Man - 25% on a truck that only gets 15mpg average anyway... OUCH

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I filled up with E85 after reading this thread I normally get 80-90 miles per 1/4 tank, depending how I drive. I got 70 miles today...with very light foot.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Theoretically - if the truck senses the E85 and opens up the injectors to let more fuel into the cylinder couldn't a guy program them to do that on standard gas? Or is that basically what Uprev and the like does?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
master_1011 said:
Only difference is you will think the 14 MPG you got with gas was GREAT:thumbsup:

E85 yeilds less power then gas, so the engine has to burn more to maintain power levels, which obviously will make your MPG drop dramatically.
wow.... 14MPG is GOOD compared to what I was getting for city/highway use: 12.7MPG.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Energizer said:
so although a tad cheaper, you are actually paying more for E85.
Exactly. And the process of making E85 almost cancels out the energy it produces.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts