Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Titan pro4x
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Is it me not being able to find many threads on the flowmaster fx series? New to the forum and have a stock 2017 pro4x I’d like to mod. Want to change out the exhaust first and looking at the fx series with good all around sound that doesn’t scare old people and kittens that don’t see you coming. Seems the clips I’ve heard this is pretty close to what I want. Not overwhelming but there when you put some gas down. So any experience with this system I’d love to hear about it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,673 Posts
a very few people have done exhaust on the second gen so you might not get any hits on the flowmaster set ups.

·
Read Only
67 Posts
This is a subjective thread! Generally speaking, a Flowmaster system is louder than a Magnaflow. Borla will fall somewhere in between these two! Every manufacturer tunes their mufflers differently. Have you visited any exhaust shops in your area yet? I'd talk to those places instead of listening to exhaust sound video clips. They'll be better to point you in the right direction after you tell them what you want........

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hi guys,
Is it me not being able to find many threads on the flowmaster fx series? New to the forum and have a stock 2017 pro4x I’d like to mod. Want to change out the exhaust first and looking at the fx series with good all around sound that doesn’t scare old people and kittens that don’t see you coming. Seems the clips I’ve heard this is pretty close to what I want. Not overwhelming but there when you put some gas down. So any experience with this system I’d love to hear about it. Thanks again.
If you're referring to this:

I have it on my 2020 and I like it. First time ever with Flowmaster, I usually do Magnaflow. Sound is subjective but I can tell you that the black tip will have a big round spot within 2 weeks of install because their paint or claimed ceramic coating is so thin they were better off leaving it unpainted. I ended up pulling the tip off and powder coating it. Regular powder coating is fine if its thick enough. The shop recommended a textured powdercoating which was $55. I won't worry including any sound clip because they are plenty on the web and mine won't sound any different unless you just want to hear a 2020 titan specifically.

·
Read Only
67 Posts
If you're referring to this:

I have it on my 2020 and I like it. First time ever with Flowmaster, I usually do Magnaflow. Sound is subjective but I can tell you that the black tip will have a big round spot within 2 weeks of install because their paint or claimed ceramic coating is so thin they were better off leaving it unpainted. I ended up pulling the tip off and powder coating it. Regular powder coating is fine if its thick enough. The shop recommended a textured powdercoating which was $55. I won't worry including any sound clip because they are plenty on the web and mine won't sound any different unless you just want to hear a 2020 titan specifically.
Ceramic coated exhaust tips usually don't hold up very well. They chip up from basic road debris

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Titan pro4x
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks! Have been to some shops already and have some options! There are so many on the market it’s tough to really narrow it down. I do understand videos will NOT due any sound justice, but it’s helpful for what’s it’s worth. I did read the tip sucks and that’s exactly what I planned on doing( powder coating myself). But otherwise I think it would fit my needs. Thanks again for responding!

·
Registered
469 Posts
a very few people have done exhaust on the second gen so you might not get any hits on the flowmaster set ups.
Very few people have put exhaust on a truck thats been around for 5+ years. Thats an odd comment

OP you'll find a lot of people in here with 2nd Gens that have upgraded the exhaust. What you wont find is too many people that have installed Flowmasters on their trucks. While back in the day FM used to be the end all be all of exhaust thats hardly the case anymore. FM gets a bad rap for causing a lot of drone because of their chambered design where all the others use a straight through design. That could be different with the FX since its straight through but I havent seen anyone on here or the FB groups that have it.

Curious what it sounds like though as Ive always loved the FM sound. IMO nothing sounds better than a 87-93 5.0 motor a catless x pipe and a 40 series FM on it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Curious what it sounds like though as Ive always loved the FM sound. IMO nothing sounds better than a 87-93 5.0 motor a catless x pipe and a 40 series FM on it.
I have a 95 5.0 and it came down to the FM and Pypes Beast kit. I ended up going with the Pypes. As awesome as the FM set up sounds, it seems like almost everyone runs it. I wanted something different and I don’t regret it at all!

·
Read Only
67 Posts
There's a big difference in sound quality between a fully welded exhaust system and a complete exhaust system clamp kit. A Borla kit runs around $1,400.00! A good exhaust shop can mandrel bend the piping to attach Borla's mufflers. Then the customer can choose how they exit and tip style. Probably for less than the cost of a kit! Personally, I'd go with the custom exhaust shop which is probably cheaper. To get a better product and not have to powder coat an exhaust tip. But everybody is different I guess!

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,673 Posts
@07xln there is really not many who have done aftermarket exhausts on the second gen. even though its been out since 16, its just not a high priority on here, it seems. maybe on fb there is more but really on here, not much. i think the cost is way to high for what we get in return and since we are not on a sports car forum where you need to have these things to be cool, its just not done alot

·
Registered
371 Posts
There's a big difference in sound quality between a fully welded exhaust system and a complete exhaust system clamp kit. A Borla kit runs around $1,400.00! A good exhaust shop can mandrel bend the piping to attach Borla's mufflers. Then the customer can choose how they exit and tip style. Probably for less than the cost of a kit! Personally, I'd go with the custom exhaust shop which is probably cheaper. To get a better product and not have to powder coat an exhaust tip. But everybody is different I guess!
Welding is sadly a skill I lack and I preferred to do it myself. So the kit it was. I have no complaints.

·
Read Only
67 Posts
Welding is sadly a skill I lack and I preferred to do it myself. So the kit it was. I have no complaints.
Hey I get it! We sell merchandise all the time for the do-it-yourselfers. I have no issues with it trust me. I was pointing it the difference between a kit and a custom exhaust. Maybe helping some people out without making a sells pitch......

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed the Flowmaster FX Cat-back on my 2021. I went with them because they were in stock and a good price I haven't had any issues it at all and it was easy to install.

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Titan pro4x
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I installed the Flowmaster FX Cat-back on my 2021. I went with them because they were in stock and a good price I haven't had any issues it at all and it was easy to install.
Hey brother, so what’s your take on the drone!This was my opinion on overall sound. Decent deep rumble at idle and low rpm’s but picks up some sound as you get deeper on the pedal. I don’t drive hard anyway but it’s nice to hear a good growl with v8s.

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Titan pro4x
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And yes I’ve considered Borla. They make a solid product. Just like Nismos kit but dang they are NOT cheap. Nismos are just toooo loud. I knows guys who run both! And yes, the new fx series is still baffled I believe!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey brother, so what’s your take on the drone!This was my opinion on overall sound. Decent deep rumble at idle and low rpm’s but picks up some sound as you get deeper on the pedal. I don’t drive hard anyway but it’s nice to hear a good growl with v8s.
I think it sounds better than stock not as loud as others out there but I was looking for something more throaty and better sounding with out breaking the bank. I don't feel like there is any drone when I am driving. I am pretty please with it overall.

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Titan pro4x
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it sounds better than stock not as loud as others out there but I was looking for something more throaty and better sounding with out breaking the bank. I don't feel like there is any drone when I am driving. I am pretty please with it overall.
Thanks. That’s exactly what I’m looking for also and it seems our criteria is on the low end of the spectrum. Lol.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,673 Posts
i would expect a lot from something that costs 500 bucks. 500 dollars is a bunch of dollars, no matter what you spend it on

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Titan pro4x
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well after some research and selling my kidney I’ve decided to go with the Borla cat back. I wanted something a bit more throaty if you will, but with all things considered they make a great product and with the quality and look of the duel exhaust I pulled the trigger. Got the black chrome tips! Again, thanks for your input. Took the new Titan to the Frying pan, Arkansas and a mountain creek this week and didn’t even have to lock in my diff on the roughest of roads. I love this truck!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts