Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I noticed some spotting under my truck when I park. Tonight I crawled under there and there is some fluid splattered in a radius all around the underside of the damn truck...It looks like oil, but I can't figure out if it is or not...the level appears to be OK, but it is literally splattered all over the passenger spindle, alternator, back behind the oil pan on the frame, the passenger cat, you get the idea...it's almost as if the oil pan spurts everywhere when it's under pressure, but I'm under the truck while the gas is being hit and It doesn't seem to...maybe it's a leak and the wind from driving blows it everywhere? I have one of the quick oil drain valves and maybe it's leaking? I may do an early oil change and just pull it out and put the old plug back in and hope for the best...

Here are some pics, any and all suggestions are much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Can you tell what color it is?

Have you checked your trans. cooler lines? (The smaller sized lines on the bottom of the radiator.) They might be leaking (known issue on our trucks). If the oil is red/pinkish, it could be transmission fluid.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you tell what color it is?

Have you checked your trans. cooler lines? (The smaller sized lines on the bottom of the radiator.) They might be leaking (known issue on our trucks).
Yeah, I think it's a little more brown-ish, that's why I think it's oil...

I just had to replace all the tranny fluid lines about 2k miles ago as well as the radiator because they burst and it cracked. I'm pretty much over this at this point.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I cleaned the whole underside with a towel and had my brother rev the engine to about 4k RPM for 10 seconds at a time 5 times and I can't friggin see anything leaking from anywhere...oil and transmission fluid levels are fine...

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
It sure looks like motor oil to me in pic#4.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I concur, looks like motor oil. Man when things are scooting down the road , a little sure looks like a lot.

Is it we around you quick drain?

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I concur, looks like motor oil. Man when things are scooting down the road , a little sure looks like a lot.

Is it we around you quick drain?
It is, but it's also blown all over the bottom of the oil pan, alternator, forward up to the bottom of the radiator...don't know if the wind swirls under the truck at highway speeds where it would blow forward...

I just went to the store and got oil and a filter...I'm going to put the OEM plug back in and go from there...

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
F'ing dirty mother f'er

I climbed under there just now with a flashlight...looking around, it looks like there may be some drips from the bottom of the radiator area. To top it off, with the flashlight, it looks like there is a glimmer of green on top of the drips so I'm guessing the goddamn radiator is cracked again after about 1500 miles.

Called back up radiator.com and I need to pull it tomorrow morning to get the warranty on it. I told them I'd pay anything at this point for an aluminum one, but they don't carry them and said maybe the local warehouse can work something out. FML...I have no idea how the tranny fluid isn't showing as being low when I check it. Now I'll probably need to do a full drain as well for fear that there may be antifreeze that has started mixing with the tranny fluid.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My 09 is leaking 2 different types of fluid in my driveway atm and if it keeps it up it will be gone. There is no need in 1-3 year old trucks leaking and spotting like 70s and 80s model trucks. I know how you feel

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 09 is leaking 2 different types of fluid in my driveway atm and if it keeps it up it will be gone. There is no need in 1-3 year old trucks leaking and spotting like 70s and 80s model trucks. I know how you feel
It may just be the tranny fluid...I found that out tonight that after it splatters all over the underside, it looks like used oil.

If I were to make a guess the hose on the lower right side of your radiator is leaking transmission fluid. Find out before it bursts and your truck goes into limp mode and leaves you stranded.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update...pulled the radiator and the tank is obviously leaking transmission fluid. I called up the local distributer that radiator.com sent it from...they said I'm lucky I bought it through them because they would never warranty a radiator on this vehicle if I purchased it from them directly and he's shocked there's not a class action lawsuit about it.

Anyway, he said he can do one of two things. Send me out one with a plastic tank right now and provide no further warranty or search around on Monday to try and get me an aluminum one...I told him to please find one on Monday...I'm over this...here is my new radiator with 2k miles on it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
161,880 Posts
Makes me want to order a Stillen now and store it until it's (inevitably) going to be needed.

Reactions: gweasel77 and Pops

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Makes me want to order a Stillen now and store it until it's (inevitably) going to be needed.
Yeah, I'm really hoping this guy can get me one on Monday...otherwise, I'm going to ask him for a credit so I can order the Stillen...

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
That totally sucks.

What kind of radiator was it (the one you just pulled). Was it a certain brand or an OEM radiator?

·
Registered
233 Posts
It may just be the tranny fluid...I found that out tonight that after it splatters all over the underside, it looks like used oil.

If I were to make a guess the hose on the lower right side of your radiator is leaking transmission fluid. Find out before it bursts and your truck goes into limp mode and leaves you stranded.
Na I found out yesterday my front diff is gone and my windshield wiper fluid is leaking from the resvoir. So much for the upgraded diffs huh? Going next friday to get both fixed under warranty

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That totally sucks.

What kind of radiator was it (the one you just pulled). Was it a certain brand or an OEM radiator?
It was an aftermarket one, it was basically the only one radiator.com said they would sell because it had the highest success rate. So much for that...

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
It was an aftermarket one, it was basically the only one radiator.com said they would sell because it had the highest success rate. So much for that...
Bill, just saw this thread and all the drama you've had. Sucks man! I replace the POS OEM with a Koyo radiator @ 22k in '09 and haven't had a problem. Make sure to change the Coolant Reservoir Cap, which is the pressure release cap on the Titan. It's probably bad...

Reactions: bills1974

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Sorry to hear about all your troubles, Bill.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts