Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone ever heard of Fluid Film? I was told about this product last year by my mechanic and started looking into it this year, especially with the new truck. I've read lots of great reviews concerning rust-prevention, and I only dared buy this new "truck of my dreams" because of the reviews. I've spent years grinding, brushing, sanding, treating and painting etc etc etc the frame and suspension (and whatever else I could reach) on my 2004 Xterra. It's fun for me, but has been a monumental PITA, and now I think I'm losing the battle. Now I have this 2015 Titan, immaculate underneath, and I want to keep it that way. Anyone ever use this stuff, or know anyone who does?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haven't heard of it but looks interesting- quick read:
Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

My buddies bought new 2012 Chevy, the other a Dodge Ram in 2011- The $30K Ram got undercoated as their "known" to rust @ various spots + my buddy is over anal on all his ****.
Chevy underside looks 3 years old w/ NY Winters, Ram not nearly 1/2 as bad.

When I bought my '10 Pro 4x used w/ 88k on it in July had it cleaned up underneath & undercoated for $350- gotta try to prevent this great Upstate NY salt and crap from eating it away.

Reactions: COREYMFT

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have two cans of fluid film in my garage, stuff is awesome. Stinks like hell though LOL

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds great to me :) From what I've read it's "almost" miraculous. I'm convinced by the reviews, just hoped to get a little Titan feedback. Thanks! Now all I have to do is get PAID so I can buy the stuff. I want to get this done before it gets too cold. I hate doing anything on my truck when it's freezing!

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
I bought 6 large cans of this stuff last year to apply to the underbelly of my son's Pathfinder. He is station in Colorado so I wanted to give his vehicle some rust protection prior to me driving it out to him. IMO, the stuff works great. Note: apply in light coats, and in a warm/stable environment.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm...looks like 50's MAYBE 60's is the warmest it's going to get, and there won't be many days of that left. That's warm up here lol Some of the reviews said you reapply mid-winter to see you through til spring, another reason why I am betting on it. If it's something I can spray on in the middle of winter, that would be a lifesaver. I could probably drive to NH and pay to have it done, but why spend hundreds when I can buy a case and do it myself? Come on, payday, I'm running out of time lol

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Curious how far 1 aerosol can gets you done on our trucks?

Would 2 cans do the trick?

My local Lowes has some in stock, might give it a try.

I had been thinking on using Boeshield T-9, but that sprays a bit narrow/slow, better for smaller jobs (inside bike frames & such).

Alternately I could use bulk wd-40 & a garden sprayer, but that will wear off.

Does this stuff leave behind a wax (like T-9)? Or will it wear off as well (like WD-40).

Thanks!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Curious how far 1 aerosol can gets you done on our trucks?

Would 2 cans do the trick?

My local Lowes has some in stock, might give it a try.

I had been thinking on using Boeshield T-9, but that sprays a bit narrow/slow, better for smaller jobs (inside bike frames & such).

Alternately I could use bulk wd-40 & a garden sprayer, but that will wear off.

Does this stuff leave behind a wax (like T-9)? Or will it wear off as well (like WD-40).

Thanks!
Hmm...well if you're sparing enough, I think two cans might get the important areas, but from what I read, you'd want a case cuz you'd start walking around the garage finding all kinds of things to spray. I will definitely buy a case cuz I hate running out of anything once I get started on something. WD40 is a great penetrant, but dries up. It's great for unseizing anything, but not really a lubricant or protectant. I haven't used FF yet, but I caught some vids today at lunch and looks like it sprays on and stays in place like a cross between oil and grease. Directions say it stays on until you either pressure wash it off (cold water) or hand scrub with hot water and soap OR rub it in almost like a wax on certain parts you'd like to keep protected. I can't wait to get this stuff! I need a great weekend though to do this. I don't really need a summer day to spray this sh*t on, but the cleaning and prep work will suck in these cooler temps. I wish I hadn't put this off, but just buying the truck and getting it registered so late in the year kicked my *** (almost $850 to register, damn excise tax). Also, I found out on my lunch break that I don't have to order this stuff, I found many vendors in my area! I can just head out and grab it. Problem is, will they have a case? I want everything protected :)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Corey! Seems as this stuff might be similar to T-9. I'll get some & give it a try. Hopefully it'll apply broader / easier than T-9.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback Corey! Seems as this stuff might be similar to T-9. I'll get some & give it a try. Hopefully it'll apply broader / easier than T-9.
Lol you're welcome, but for the record Corey is my T, as in Corey MF Taylor :wink: My name is Tanya :hi:

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Do you think it would work on parts that already has surface rust, or does it have to be clean metal?

Reactions: Chiefme1

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Do you think it would work on parts that already has surface rust, or does it have to be clean metal?
Its a rust preventative not a corrector so it the surface should be oxidation free. We use fluid film on the aircraft I work on for composite, steel, and aluminum. It defiantly does as its suppose to but it doesn't hold up terribly well under wet conditions (winter snow) so it wouldn't be a once every 6 month thing….it would need done weekly or bi weekly along with cleaning before hand…..dont believe that year life expectation. Oh, and yes, it smells terrible and that smell stays on you for a while after. I suggest wearing latex gloves and buying it in a large jar. If you put it in a non aerosol spray bottle with a wide hole or simply by rag it will go on thicker and will last longer.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Lol you're welcome, but for the record Corey is my T, as in Corey MF Taylor :wink: My name is Tanya :hi:
Dohh! ...Ha ha, thanks Tanya! Jon.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It defiantly does as its suppose to but it doesn't hold up terribly well under wet conditions (winter snow) so it wouldn't be a once every 6 month thing….it would need done weekly or bi weekly along with cleaning before hand…..dont believe that year life expectation. ... If you put it in a non aerosol spray bottle with a wide hole or simply by rag it will go on thicker and will last longer.
Excellent info, thanks!

I watched a vid today, some dude took a lawn mower blade and strapped it to a post in the yard. He sprayed half with FF and left the other half clean. After the winter he cleaned it off and it was half protected/half rusty as hell. I suppose if you have rust already, it would at least keep it from getting worse.

Dohh! ...Ha ha, thanks Tanya! Jon.
Lol! No prob ;)

p.s. Found the vid :) Sorry, the music sucks but it helped convince me to try it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxEvlPsGvRA

There are so many other vids on YouTube. Instead of reading reviews, these vids help give me a better idea :)

Reactions: SwedeTitan

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Payday tomorrow thank GOD...now I can get my Fluid Film and get at that frame. Good news is I don't have to order it; they have it at Lowe's and Grainger, a few other local places. I can pick up a couple of cans on the way home from work and be ready when I wake up Saturday :) So relieved!

Reactions: Pickle-Smooch

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Its a rust preventative not a corrector so it the surface should be oxidation free. We use fluid film on the aircraft I work on for composite, steel, and aluminum. It defiantly does as its suppose to but it doesn't hold up terribly well under wet conditions (winter snow) so it wouldn't be a once every 6 month thing….it would need done weekly or bi weekly along with cleaning before hand…..dont believe that year life expectation. Oh, and yes, it smells terrible and that smell stays on you for a while after. I suggest wearing latex gloves and buying it in a large jar. If you put it in a non aerosol spray bottle with a wide hole or simply by rag it will go on thicker and will last longer.
Excellent info, thanks!

I watched a vid today, some dude took a lawn mower blade and strapped it to a post in the yard. He sprayed half with FF and left the other half clean. After the winter he cleaned it off and it was half protected/half rusty as hell. I suppose if you have rust already, it would at least keep it from getting worse.

p.s. Found the vid :) Sorry, the music sucks but it helped convince me to try it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxEvlPsGvRA

There are so many other vids on YouTube. Instead of reading reviews, these vids help give me a better idea :)
Thanks for the info. I got surface rust on parts of the suspension and on the frame welds. I guess the best I can do is to try and stop the process. Maybe if I prime with WD-40 and then apply some thicker stuff?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
POR-15 is probably the best thing for it, prep is key, but I never knew about it all those years I worked on my other truck. You can certainly slow it down, anything's better than nothing. What I did was wire-brush or sand off any loose rust, then spray Rust stop paint on everything. It helped a lot, but it was so much work and the rust got ahead of me. Now I have this new truck and I want to stop it before it starts. I washed everything underneath, then just sprayed the Fluid Film on. You can get it in a spray or a big can, spread it on thick wIth gloved hands :) It's a great barrier, doesn't drip off, and should protect from any salt or chemicals :)

Here is what my diff looked like one year on my other truck, I have a better pic somewhere but this is before I found out about Fluid Film

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Nice result on that truck. Must have been a tough work to clean it up.
You got a good start now with a new rust free truck. Any work you put into it now has to be easier that trying to restore it a few years down the road.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just spray chassis with Motorcycle Chain Lube/ Rust inhibitor once a year. It makes a mostly clear waxy film and is designed to keep stuff from rusting. It's very easy to get and it's not expensive.

I actually have this stuff that I've been using but it's the same thing and is also used on motorcycle chains

Plus it's not going to be harmful to anything if you over spray on accident. It can be washed off if needed but also wont just wash off with water.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just spray chassis with Motorcycle Chain Lube/ Rust inhibitor once a year. It makes a mostly clear waxy film and is designed to keep stuff from rusting. It's very easy to get and it's not expensive.

I actually have this stuff that I've been using but it's the same thing and is also used on motorcycle chains

Plus it's not going to be harmful to anything if you over spray on accident. It can be washed off if needed but also wont just wash off with water.
I heard about that, since I had a bike at the time :) Sold the bike but never forgot about the chain spray. Then my mechanic told me about FF and I never looked back.

p.s. I miss my bike so much! Just a Suzuki GS500 but I wanted it so badly, and loved it so much

1 - 20 of 29 Posts