Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a couple months ago I went in for a tranny change and freaked out after because I learned that you could only use matic-j. I took it to mechanic I've been using for years on recent autos and was sure that he didnt use the the correct fluid. After freaking out and thinking that my tranmission was going to go at any mile, I though I'd check the sales invoice and sure enough it says MATIC-J 5qrts! Whew!! My question is, are there various kinds of matic-j or is that the right stuff running thru my tranny. I use mobil 1 10w30 for motor and had the rear diff change as well with 75w140s syntec. Sound good to everyone? 42000 on my baby and hoping to love her till 200,000 and beyond. Thanks guys...

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
bentol888 said:
So, a couple months ago I went in for a tranny change and freaked out after because I learned that you could only use matic-j. I took it to mechanic I've been using for years on recent autos and was sure that he didnt use the the correct fluid. After freaking out and thinking that my tranmission was going to go at any mile, I though I'd check the sales invoice and sure enough it says MATIC-J 5qrts! Whew!! My question is, are there various kinds of matic-j or is that the right stuff running thru my tranny. I use mobil 1 10w30 for motor and had the rear diff change as well with 75w140s syntec. Sound good to everyone? 42000 on my baby and hoping to love her till 200,000 and beyond. Thanks guys...
There are several companies that promote trans fluid for
Nissan & use "cute" terms like recommended, suitable etc.
There may be one, but I haven't seen any that cuts the crap &
makes a statement like......MEETS NISSAN J-MATIC SPECS
or MEETS NISSAN WARRANTY REQUIREMENTS

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Royal Purple Max atf says meets Nissan matic j spec, Evidently just came out in Sept of 07. Check RP website and make up your own mind. Probably as high or higher that Nissan matic j

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
TallTexan said:
Royal Purple Max atf says meets Nissan matic j spec, Evidently just came out in Sept of 07. Check RP website and make up your own mind. Probably as high or higher that Nissan matic j
All I can find is the usual word.........recommended
-
from the website
Max ATF is recommended in vehicles requiring any of these automatic transmission fluids:

·
Registered
989 Posts
daptech, I emailed RP a while back asking about that and they basically said that it exceeds the specs for Matic J, but is not a warrantied replacement. They said that they would have to use pretty much the exact same formula as Matic J to have it classified as warranty replaceable. I'll be switching at 60k to RP ATF to complement the RP oil in the rear diff and engine.

Edit:
I found the reply from one of my older posts:
"Max ATF can be used in a Nissan that specs Matic J, but it is not
warranty approved fluid. It does exceed the specs, just not recognized
as a warranty replacement. We would have to either make a copy of the
Matic J or use their formulation and we are out to out-perform the OEM
fluids."

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
desertruner09 said:
daptech, I emailed RP a while back asking about that and they basically said that it exceeds the specs for Matic J, but is not a warrantied replacement. They said that they would have to use pretty much the exact same formula as Matic J to have it classified as warranty replaceable. I'll be switching at 60k to RP ATF to complement the RP oil in the rear diff and engine.

Edit:
I found the reply from one of my older posts:
"Max ATF can be used in a Nissan that specs Matic J, but it is not
warranty approved fluid. It does exceed the specs, just not recognized
as a warranty replacement. We would have to either make a copy of the
Matic J or use their formulation and we are out to out-perform the OEM
fluids."
I understand what you are saying...........I would just like to
see a more definite statement ......for example Mobil1's
comment regarding Ford's 20wt oil
Mobil1 states.....MEETS FORD SPEC WSS- M2C930-A
That leaves no doubt.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
daptech said:
All I can find is the usual word.........recommended
-
from the website
Max ATF is recommended in vehicles requiring any of these automatic transmission fluids:
Not correct. Valvoline Max ATF issued a letter stating the use of their fluid in Nissan trans that uses NissanMatic j will NOT void your warranty. They say they will stand behind their fluid and if anyone has a problem, give them a call. The letter has been posted here on TT before but I will have to do a search. Someone said it was about half the price as Nissan. Maybe I will find out and be a guinney pig. The Valvoline website still says it is suitable for Nissan Matic J. I sent a email to them so I will know what the real skinny is.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
TallTexan said:
Not correct. Valvoline Max ATF issued a letter stating the use of their fluid in Nissan trans that uses NissanMatic j will NOT void your warranty. They say they will stand behind their fluid and if anyone has a problem, give them a call. The letter has been posted here on TT before but I will have to do a search. Someone said it was about half the price as Nissan. Maybe I will find out and be a guinney pig. The Valvoline website still says it is suitable for Nissan Matic J. I sent a email to them so I will know what the real skinny is.
What is not correct. I copied this from their website..........is it
not there.........

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
daptech said:
What is not correct. I copied this from their website..........is it
not there.........
What is not correct is the statement that Valvolene does not state that using their product will not void your warranty. They do state that and I would think they have reason to make that statement. Again, I have emailed them and asked for verification when it comes to the Titan.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I recieved a email from Valvoline {Ashland} which stated. Valvoline Maxlife is reccomended for vehicles requiring Matic j fluid. They further stated that there are no warranty issues. I will post the email if I can figure out how to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.