Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Work is sending me from here in Lancaster, PA to Columbus, OH. It will be my first time flying. Looking forward to it. It will be on a little puddle jumper of a plane but will still be pretty cool I think. The good part is I have a wedding back near Pittsburgh to attend on Saturday, so they are letting me get a rental car, go home for the weekend to attend the wedding, then drive back here to Lancaster in the rental. Get to give my Titan (and wallet) a break on gas.

Any tips for the first time flyer??

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ya, take some drama mean and carry a paper bag with ya.

Chew on some gum and where some head phones.

I hate flying!!!

Enjoy your flight.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
Define puddle jumper. Are you talking about a little cessna type plane?

Advice?? Stay flexable and patient!! Make sure you arrive early and have your liquids in the correct size bottles. If you can pack light and just do a carry on bag, it is much easier.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vipzach said:
Define puddle jumper. Are you talking about a little cessna type plane?

Advice?? Stay flexable and patient!! Make sure you arrive early and have your liquids in the correct size bottles. If you can pack light and just do a carry on bag, it is much easier.

Yeah, that's what I figured. All aerosol cans and bottles must be 3 oz. or less. I plan to carry lightly. Guess I'll be leaving my leatherman at home! Maybe I should take my MP3 player along as well??

I think this is the plane, or at least something similar. I have a connector flight in Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
Those planes aren't too bad, a little cramped, but not bad. I had to throw away all my shampoo and toothpaste last time because they were too big. I always take my ipod with me. I would definately leave the leatherman at home!!!!!

·
Premium Member
92,289 Posts
Yeah, they are nuts about security these days. I had a 3.5 oz bottle of hand sanitizer confiscated. And I only got two bombs fueled with it! DARN!!! Seriously, it's just like riding a bus but with better acceleration on takeoff. Props can be noisy if you are near the rear of the plane, but with an ipod you should be fine. It'll probably be about a 30-40 minute flight, so not a major deal. Have fun & don't forget to pick up a shot glass to start your travelling collection. I started that years ago and now have over 300 shotglasses!

·
Premium Member
73,354 Posts
you'll probably be flying on a dash 8, which is a small 40 person dual prop air plane...

i suggest at least an mp3 player and a good offroading mag... or a lap top with an air card for internet access to titantalk.com

before you get on the flight, eat something so you have something in your stomach. this may seem weird to you, but flying on an empty stomach will make you sicker then a full one, you need something to "hold you down" while up in the air... i used to not eat before flights because if i got air sick i didn't want to make a mess... when i started flying for work and having to function after a 2 hour flight through ****ty weather i learned this trick... that and not drinking heavily the night before :)

enjoy the trip man.. flying is great! the first time i went skydiving one of my buddies had never been in a plane... as far as i know, he's still never landed in one.. imagine that

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Maybe it's just the pilot in me, but.... when traveling commercially, I always wear nature materials (cotton, wool, etc), long pants, and leather shoes, preferably boots. I also study where the emergency exits are and familiarize myself with how to open the doors.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
OK...here's some advise from someone who flies over 100K a year.

Arrive at least an 1.5 hours before your flight, since this is the first time for you

Make sure you have absolutly no liquids on you. If your checking your bags put the liquids in those bags (including shaving cream, water, toothpaste), if your staying only a day or so and you have carrying on bags, buy what you need in Columbus.

While in the security line and you have a back pack or small carry on. take everything from your pockets and stuff them in the carry on including your cell phone and any change. Untie your shoes and get ready to take them off at the x-ray conveyer belt just before the walk thru machine. Take out your lap top put it into one of those gray trays. place your shoes on the belt and go thru the x-ray machine. On the other side collect what you have put thru the x-ray including your shoes and keep walking until you get past the security zone and put your shoes back on.

I know this is pretty basic but people always hold the line up because they forget one of these basic things.

This will be a good flight for your first since it's only an hour so like others said, bring an iPod or MP3 and chew gum to relieve the pressure in your ears and you'll be fine.

Good Luck to you!

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Great answer by TitanicDJ, I only fly once a year, so am always doing something wrong! They are serious about the 3 oz size. Oh, get a wing seat so you can see the flaps, and see the wings flex! :)

·
Banned
138 Posts
TitanBlue said:
Great answer by TitanicDJ, Oh, get a wing seat so you can see the flaps, and see the wings flex! :)
nothing cooler then watching rivets pop off during flight :futwice:

·
Registered
351 Posts
check your carry on.... just carry a book if you can, if not a magazine. It gives you a place to put your boarding pass as a "book mark" not too mention anything else you want to carry.

if you're a smoker, you *can't* have lighters or matches in your baggage. They stole my Bic lighter and left my matches and zippo. You can carry matches onto the plane though, go figure that one out.

Expect at least an hour of wait at any good sized airport. If you can, wear loafers (not tie shoes) and avoid a belt. You'll have to take those off before you go through the metal detector. Before you go through the metal detector, throw the entire contents of your pockets into the bin that they x-ray...wallet, handkercheif, comb...everything. Keep a hold of your boarding pass though.

Also, wash your hands often. Airports are full of all kinds of people with foreign germs. Don't touch anything. No matter what I do, every time I travel I come back with at least a case of the runs if not a flu.

Flying's fun though. You'll love the take off and landing. Try to get a window seat, it helps orient you if things get a little shaky during a turn and you're less likely to hurl. Chew gum, helps pop your ears...if it doesn't work hold your nose closed (both nostrils) and blow. You'll look like a frog, but at least you'll be able to hear again.

make conversation with your neighbor, the flight will be much much shorter. And never, ever, fly Allegiant airlines if you're used to a decent airline. They run behind out of everywhere but Vegas (because they've only got one plane to most cities) and their service sucks fierce...

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Lots of good advice.

I always ask for an exit row seat. If I am lucky it is usually at least a seat and a half farther away than any others. Great way to get extra leg room and if the plane does go down, you get to be the first one off.

I have flown over 1M (yes million) miles in my life and except for a few crazy ocean crossings, I have never had a problem.

Enjoy the first of many trips. It beats driving even if you are driving a Titan.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the tips. Will post my first time flyer experiences next week when I return.

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
wow, first time flyer...

I'm like TitanicDJ I fly so much its second nature to me. Hell, I flew home this morning from New Mexico. I am Platinum on American.

My tips, even though Im guessing you already left...

Don't check anything - screw waiting for your bags, and letting security go through them without you standing there. I like my stuff to stay my stuff.

The 3oz thing is not just on aerosols its anything that could possibly be considered liquid. Wallgreens is your new best friend. I leave the airport, go to wallgreens get what I need and usually leave it in the hotel.

DJ is right about the security line, do everything he suggests.

Look at your ticket, if in the lower right hand corner you have 4 S's (SSSS), you will get extra checked. They will frisk you and go through your bags, just be ready for them to do that. If you don't fly a lot, your more likely to have that on your ticket.

Get enrolled in the frequent flyer program, and try to stick to one airline. A free roundtrip ticket to where ever in the hell you want to go for the whole family can't be wrong.

Get enrolled in the Hotel and rental car programs too, and again try to use one company, more points = more free stays.

I took the whole family (4) back to Wisconsin last year for a week for less than $400, that was hotel, airfare and rental car for 7 days.

On the flight, chew gun, listen to your ipod and read if you can. I go through about a book a week traveling. Most recent, Empire of Blue water (the life and times of the real Captain Henry Morgan), 1421 The year the Chinese discovered America (its actually a very interesting read especially if you like history) and Sea of Thunder (the events leading up to and the men involved in the last great naval battle of WWII). As you can see I like history books and naval warfare.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Is your insurance paid up? Got plenty of insurance? Affairs in order? Remeber, the ground is hard. I have control issues, I DON"T fly. I'll take a motorcycle as close to 200mph as it will go, but I'm not getting in a vehicle where I'm not in control. OK, I'll ride with my wife, but it took years.....and its a minivan.

·
Banned
138 Posts
if you vomit please be courteous enough catch it in your mouth and then swallow it. the other passengers didn't pay to smell your bile. :ugh:

·
Registered
514 Posts
One sick bastard ^^^^

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The terror plot for JFK should make you feel better. Them terrorist love planes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts