Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get an aftermarket fog light kit because I want to avoid melting plastic when put in HID's. What size fog lights do I need? I believe that they are 4" around (portion that is visible) but I may be wrong. Also, I want to wire them directly to my parking lights (with a relay in the line) so I don't have to worry about forgetting to shut them off. Will that work or will it be too much for that circuit to handle?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
wait, people have melting fog lights? I have had HID for over 2 years and mine haven't melted. Why not just wire them into the stock foglight harness then them shut off with your lights like stock fog lights?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
wait, people have melting fog lights? I have had HID for over 2 years and mine haven't melted. Why not just wire them into the stock foglight harness then them shut off with your lights like stock fog lights?

Some people have said that the plastic lenses have melted or started to turn yellow because of the heat from the HID's. I know that the watts that you run will drastically affect the results, but I figure that if I'm going to do this I may as well only do it once. I plan on running 35W 4300k in the fogs and low beams. What HID's are you running? Anyone know if the factory fogs will have any issues with that setup?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I am running 35W 8000K HIDs

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I drive to work when it is dark and drive home when it is dark. an hour each way, so 2 hours a day on average, not counting when I go out at night.

Reactions: jpac811

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ I'm in the same boat jpac. Factory kit looks clean and I won't have to add any switches, but the glass will hold up better. But if I do the aftermarket kit correctly, I won't have any switches because I plan to wire the fogs to the parking lights. ^ USN, do you know the size of the fog lights? This will help be better narrow down the field of aftermarkets.

Reactions: jpac811

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Okay, so I have been looking into getting HID's in the fogs too .. And there is always storys of what could and couldn't happen .... But my question is the HID's that I'm looking to buy do not have the right size .. Does anyone have the DDM silm ballast kit in there fogs ..?? If so what bulb did you use ..??

^sorry to jack^ .. Well add ..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, so I have been looking into getting HID's in the fogs too .. And there is always storys of what could and couldn't happen .... But my question is the HID's that I'm looking to buy do not have the right size .. Does anyone have the DDM silm ballast kit in there fogs ..?? If so what bulb did you use ..??

^sorry to jack^ .. Well add ..
From what I read, the HID bulb for the fogs is 880 which is different then the stock bulb. Then all you need to do is pick either 35W or 55W (35W will have a less likely to melt the fogs) and then your color from 3000k which is yellow, 4300k-5000k which is white and 6000k to ? which has hints of blue to full blue. I found some aftermarket fogs that use glass instead of plastic so I plan to order them today and will install when I get back around mid December.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Okay, that's what I was wondering .... Because I saw the 880's and I said saw that some other people had been using different bulbs other than the stoke 899 or what ever they are .. And I wasn't shure what the difference was .. But thank you .. And yeah, I melted my old cars fogs .... But yeah ..

·
Registered
732 Posts
Has anyone found glass foglight housings that will fit in the OEM location? I have been searching ebay but none list a glass lense.

The issue is that the HID bulbs stick out farther and therefore are closer to the lense. Some people have issues, others don't but I would prefer to avoid this when I upgrade my fogs to HIDs.

Thanks..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts