Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about ready to go up some more on my lift and have a few questions. I already have the rear setup from you. 2.5 Deavers, 2" blocks, and PC shocks. Now my questions are for the front. What coilovers do you recomend for me to go with for maximum height? I'd like to go as high as I can with coilover/spacer combo or UCA if needed? If I do the coilovers, will the height increase of that setup affect the camber or the front wheel base?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Titan R said:
I'm just about ready to go up some more on my lift and have a few questions. I already have the rear setup from you. 2.5 Deavers, 2" blocks, and PC shocks. Now my questions are for the front. What coilovers do you recomend for me to go with for maximum height? I'd like to go as high as I can with coilover/spacer combo or UCA if needed? If I do the coilovers, will the height increase of that setup affect the camber or the front wheel base?

Thanks
do you have 2wd or 4wd? cause if you're 2wd you can get the CST 4" spindle lift in addition to some SAW coilovers for the front. if you're 4wd you'd have to go with a bracket lift with coilovers to achieve heighth. also, you may want to think about getting a CST carrier bearing as well.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
hooligan said:
do you have 2wd or 4wd? cause if you're 2wd you can get the CST 4" spindle lift in addition to some SAW coilovers for the front. if you're 4wd you'd have to go with a bracket lift with coilovers to achieve heighth. also, you may want to think about getting a CST carrier bearing as well.

hey..............your not Greg!!!! :D :D

On the other hand, I love your avitar, so I don't mind your post!!! :eek:ral:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
vipzach said:
hey..............your not Grag!!!! :D :D

On the other hand, I love your avitar, so I don't mind your post!!! :eek:ral:
hahaha, i'll post again just so you can see the avatar! thought i'd ask some pertinent questions so greg could answer without having to sift through some of the basic questions. i wish it was just like the Matrix and i could just upload the suspension knowledge Greg possesses...:lol:

oh wait, that would be a long [email protected] upload...:lol:

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
1,897 Posts
titan r, hooligan is right that I need to know if you have a 2 or 4wd. If its a 2wd, then hooligan is on the money with his reply and that a set of saw c/o wit hthe TC or PRG uca's and the spindle will get you 8-9" lift total. If your 4wd, then a backet lift and a set of coilovers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the late response and for not being a bit more clear. I have a 2wd. I already have the bearing drop bracket also. I have all the rear components ready. All I need is the front setup. I was wondering what coilover setup do you recomend for me to get maximum height and stiffness w/o spindles? Will going 5"-6" up front w/o spindles affect the wheels tracks(front to rear)? Will there be any camber issues? If I can get close enough to 6" w/o spindles then I will be getting the TC drop shackles also. I want a good set of coilovers that I can get a stiffer spring rate. I like it stiff!!! Reason I post is because I don't want to waste your time on the phone. I know you're a busy man. So I'll wait here for you to get to my thread when you're free to answer my questions. Thanks in advance. And thanks to all that chimed in!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
hey titan R! just curious, is there a reason why you wouldn't go with the CST spindles? CST spindle with a coilover alone with stock UCAs or even the spindles with a 2' spacer alone w/o a coilover would yield you 6" off the bat! then for a bit more lift and upgraded dampening you could always upgrade to a set of PRG spec'd SAWs.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
payyourtoll said:
hey hooligan can you or Greg please let me know what I can run in the back to achieve a slightly forward rake? Maybe just a 4" block and bilsteins?
well, stock, the titan already has a stink-bug rake, but if what you're wanting is a hot-rod rake a 4" PRG billet tapered block would really have your arse way in the air. plus, with a 4" block you'll need to get a carrier bearing (per Greg). i'd say a 2" block with bilsteins will achieve that look you're looking for, plus you wouldn't need to get the carrier bearing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hooligan said:
hey titan R! just curious, is there a reason why you wouldn't go with the CST spindles? CST spindle with a coilover alone with stock UCAs or even the spindles with a 2' spacer alone w/o a coilover would yield you 6" off the bat! then for a bit more lift and upgraded dampening you could always upgrade to a set of PRG spec'd SAWs.
In the sport compact car world, I'm a suspension fanatic. So reason why I'd rather get front coilover setup is because I want better suspension. I'd rather not get spindles if I don't have to. I mean our trucks handle just fine, I just want better and stiffer. I do haul load and tow alot too so I don't want too much lift. So I would assume a coilover/spacer and/or upper A-arms will be just perfect for me.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Titan R said:
In the sport compact car world, I'm a suspension fanatic. So reason why I'd rather get front coilover setup is because I want better suspension. I'd rather not get spindles if I don't have to. I mean our trucks handle just fine, I just want better and stiffer. I do haul load and tow alot too so I don't want too much lift. So I would assume a coilover/spacer and/or upper A-arms will be just perfect for me.
that's fine, i too come from the sport compact world as have a lot of others here on this site. used to have coilovers on my honda and also have a mountain bike with 8" of travel in front and 7" in the rear so i too am a suspension fanatic. reason why i sought out an expert in the titan suspension realm. with what you're asking for you have a few options through greg. previously before my SAWs i had Donohoe C/Os with a 1" billet aluminum spacer greg fabbed for added lift. the DRs with the billet spacer and UCAs can yield up to 0-4" of lift. just note that with the coilovers cranked for maximum lift you also add an inherent amount of preload on the coils, making it stiffer. not exactly a characteristic one is looking for when offroading. maybe that's what you're looking for, i don't quite know. are you looking for your titan to be lifted yet handle like a sport compact? increased CG and handling don't exactly always go hand in hand.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I just want better and stiffer.
Why so stiff?
I have a background in sports car suspension, and still don't know why people think stiffer is better.

For good street handling, I always suggest med rate springs, good shocks and large sway bars...Give a good ride and still keeps the veh flat in the corners.

With PRG's Performance kit on my truck it's like having a sport truck! The good news is that I'm using all of my suspension travel frt & rear. If you have 6" of wheel travel but are only using 4", it's too stiff for what you do...

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
loufish said:
Why so stiff?
I have a background in sports car suspension, and still don't know why people think stiffer is better.

For good street handling, I always suggest med rate springs, good shocks and large sway bars...Give a good ride and still keeps the veh flat in the corners.

With PRG's Performance kit on my truck it's like having a sport truck! The good news is that I'm using all of my suspension travel frt & rear. If you have 6" of wheel travel but are only using 4", it's too stiff for what you do...
i'm guessing he means firmer and doesn't plan on going on any high speed dessert runs. well, if he gets either SAWs or DRs (with a 1" spacer) and cranks up the height (increasing preload) he will have everything he is asking for; stiffer (via cranking up preload), better and higher.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Titan R said:
Sorry for the late response and for not being a bit more clear. I have a 2wd. I already have the bearing drop bracket also. I have all the rear components ready. All I need is the front setup. I was wondering what coilover setup do you recomend for me to get maximum height and stiffness w/o spindles? Will going 5"-6" up front w/o spindles affect the wheels tracks(front to rear)? Will there be any camber issues? If I can get close enough to 6" w/o spindles then I will be getting the TC drop shackles also. I want a good set of coilovers that I can get a stiffer spring rate. I like it stiff!!! Reason I post is because I don't want to waste your time on the phone. I know you're a busy man. So I'll wait here for you to get to my thread when you're free to answer my questions. Thanks in advance. And thanks to all that chimed in!
To get 5" or 6" without the spindles, the only way I've heard of is to get the DRs, (and the PRG uppers), and flip the DR's upper mounting hat over, and grind the coil bucket, plus maybe some other things too. For a 4x4 this is the only way w/o a drop bracket lift kit.

But you have a 2wd ... so the best way for the initial lift is a spindle, and then use the coilover of your choice: SAW, DR, or the smaller 2" body Radflo, to adjust final height to their 0 to 3" sweet spot, or more for a higher goal.

I've heard that initial 4" of a spindle lift has the least affect on the OEM suspension, steering, and alignment geometries than any other method of lifting. Too bad they are for 2wd only.

What are your reservations about using the spindles?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hooligan said:
i'm guessing he means firmer and doesn't plan on going on any high speed dessert runs. well, if he gets either SAWs or DRs (with a 1" spacer) and cranks up the height (increasing preload) he will have everything he is asking for; stiffer (via cranking up preload), better and higher.
Right on the money hooligan! If I do go mudding again then I can just crank the coils down some to take the load off the springs. I posted a little mudding weekend we had on CT. I've spent almost 6grand on my suspension for my Honda minus the roll cage:crying: That's minus labor since I do it all myself.

http://www.**************/forums/showthread.php?t=33745

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
swarren1 said:
I've heard that initial 4" of a spindle lift has the least affect on the OEM suspension, steering, and alignment geometries than any other method of lifting. Too bad they are for 2wd only.
exactly what i was trying to elaborate and feel the same way sWarrizzle! this is just a guess but i think TitanR's current reservations is cost?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hooligan said:
exactly what i was trying to elaborate and feel the same way sWarrizzle! this is just a guess but i think TitanR's current reservations is cost?
You are right on all your comments. I'd rather just get whatever coilovers etc. that can get me close enough to 6" up front. I don't want to spend an extra 700$ for spindles if I don't have to.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Titan R said:
You are right on all your comments. I'd rather just get whatever coilovers etc. that can get me close enough to 6" up front. I don't want to spend an extra 700$ for spindles if I don't have to.
You will not get 6" of lift with coilovers. Maybe close to 5" if you do the DR hat flip, otherwise get the spindles.

The prices below are based on the PRG products website, your statement of $700 for spindles, and memory ... admittedly foggy at times. Of course PrerunnerGreg can correct any of this.

Spindles if $700 plus $1150 DRs ~ $1850 = Easy 6" to
Spindles if $700 plus $699 2" body Radflos ~ $1400 = Easy 6" No upper required!

DRs from PRG 4" Performance Package, but with hat flip and PRG upper A-arms ~ $1750 = 5" maybe.
SAW from PRG 4" Performance Package, (medium length, Titan PRG valved) and PRG upper A-arms ~ $1650 to $1750 = 4"

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Titan R said:
I don't want to spend an extra 700$ for spindles if I don't have to.
you may have to, that's the reason a majority of the 2wd Titans would rather go this route....because it's the most effective way to do it, as far as $$ goes and amount of lift it allows.........Swarren's calculations above seem about right.......

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
SDTitan1 said:
you may have to, that's the reason a majority of the 2wd Titans would rather go this route....because it's the most effective way to do it, as far as $$ goes and amount of lift it allows.........Swarren's calculations above seem about right.......
you're right! sWarren's calculations are right on, especially when he breaks it down like that. TitanR you're better off getting spindles and DRs!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts