Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this a repost but this article came up on my yahoo homepage news feed. Pretty interesting but it doesn't go into detail as to why our beloved Titan's are listed. One part of the story says: "To determine our list of the worst-made cars on the road, we started with the lowest-rated vehicles from six reliability and performance studies conducted this year by Consumer Reports."

The Worst Cars On The Road - Yahoo! Autos

I'm sure mpg and cost to own have a part in it. I wonder about safety, performance, and reliabilty.

·
Registered
384 Posts
from the slide show "Listed Among: Consumer Reports Least Reliable, Consumer Reports Worst Fuel Economy"

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
they rank the tahoe and escalade in there even though they are spectacular vehicles. im sure mileage and cost to own are a HUGE factor as the primary goal nowadays are to improve those things. the titan has one, if not the highest crash test ratings. performance wise, mainly on original debut, was leaps and bounds above the rest. not to beat a dead dog but we all know our trucks are way outdated and you really cant expect much in terms of reviews now. as far as reliability, that hurts the titan as well. every editor rates it low and they all simply bounce ratings against each other. all titans made past 06 have been "predicted reliability" based on those earlier years. "true reliability" is unknown. i started a thread called '08+ Reliability'....as of the last update, consumers have rated it 9/10. my 2 cents

·
Registered
95 Posts
Unfortunatly, I have to agree with the article. My Titan has been nothing but trouble. However, "When" it is running good I like it alot. 2 front ends, 1 rear, 2 exhaust manifolds.................and the list goes on

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Basically, any failure I've had, had to do with a Mod that was done. The OEM has been fine. Sure, the wheel balance or alignment was off, but that is all. Very reliable. My last vehicle had about 6 or 8 recalls/warranty items in first year. Newly introduced Ford Escape. Titan only had the Fuel Sender Recall after 5 years. And it was working fine. Nissan made effective running changes.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The Titan was mentioned once in the whole article, but had a Titan pictured with the caption... Nissan Titan - Worst reliable, Worst fuel economy.

But with three exceptions--the Mercedes-Benz S550, Smart Fortwo and Nissan Titan--all of the cars on this year's list of the Worst Cars on the Road are (still) made by domestic companies. That includes the Dodge Dakota, Chevy Tahoe Hybrid and Chrysler Town & Country. The only American car company with zero vehicles on the list? Ford.
The only thing this article tells me is that Ford has to much time and money on their hands.

Unfortunatly, I have to agree with the article. My Titan has been nothing but trouble. However, "When" it is running good I like it alot. 2 front ends, 1 rear, 2 exhaust manifolds.................and the list goes on
Care to go into detail? What happened to the front end twice, the rear once and the two exhaust manifolds? What else is on the "list"?

Sounds like a sh!tty tech on more than 1 occasion.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have an 04 and i can't complain. Like titan blue said, i only had problems when i messed with certain mods. but they were quickly fixed. haven't had the rear end problem because of the vent mod, gonna check for the manifolds when i bring it in for the recall, and i gotta do my shocks(big whoop). my truck is doing what a 7 yr old truck does. its more than reliable.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think for these automotive news outlets to crunch numbers, it's pretty easy to give a Titan or Armada a low rating:

-7+ years without any real upgrades, which brings a entire slew of shortcomings from appearance to content and innovation.

-Typically poor full size truck fuel economy.

-Typically more trouble prone (all full size trucks are less reliable than a passenger car, but others are way newer than a Titan) than your average passenger car.

-Very low numbers sold compared to the Big 3.

In reality, a Titan is an excellent value to someone looking for a solid, capable 1/2 ton at a discounted price. The Titan is still a good truck. Mathematically though, it's technically behind it's peers. About 2007 Titan lost it's edge....

Reactions: VK56DEHAN

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
My 05 totally deserves that list for reliability and fuel economy. I also feel my wifes 05 Pilot should be on a BEST list. Still rather drive the Titan over the Pilot any day.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Using their criteria it's inevitable the Titan ends up on that list. Fuel economy is worse than most cars, and there's been plenty of people that have needed repairs. That said, it's really nothing more than a sensationalism story designed to have you click on it so you can watch the 10 slides and corresponding commercials. Against other full-size trucks the Titan still holds its own IMO. The price is good, the truck is comfortable & capable, and frankly the same design since 2004 means it'll be an easy truck to maintain in the future.

·
Registered
264 Posts
90k on my '06 Titan and the only issues I have had was the cracked manifolds and fuel sending unit, which was covered under warranty! That Forbes article can shove it because to me, my Titan is the BEST and least expensive vehicle I have ever owned when I compare it to my GMC full size I had before.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yep, sounds like the writer of this article was chomping on the back of Ford's ballsack when he wrote this. I absolutely LOVE my truck and haven't had one problem since the day I bought it, even after lifting it. A friend of mine that bought a Turd F150 3 weeks after I bought my Titan had to have his entire drivetrain replaced after his transmission case basically grenaded and bent the driveshaft and blew up the rear diff.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I've had 4 titans and love them all... never been stuck on the side of the road for any reason! Knock on wood I have a 400 mile trip home Tuesday!

·
Premium Member
46,435 Posts
I spent 8 weeks researching and looking for a full size truck, and test driving, I never looked at consumer reports, they have little credibility...all my research and previous experience, I went for a Titan.

Oh...and answer me this consumer reports, why do 7 year old Titan with over 100k still sell for over 10K, please explain the strong resale value? Yeah thats what I thought...

·
Registered
707 Posts
I just read that article, and they didn't really explain why the Titan is on there. If they are using "projected" reliability, than they definitely need to throw the F-150's on that list. Yeah I know the F-150 is heavily revised this year, but the F-150 has already proven itself unreliable and the previous engines were absolute garbage. The new motors are way nicer, but unproven.

I have a friend with a 2008 F-150 CC 4x4, he bought it brand new:

-blows out spark plugs
-seat belts replaced twice (all 5)
-AC failed
-Truck shudders real bad when towing, dealer hasn't solved that one yet
-transfer case leaks
-when new, all of his doors wouldn't close all the way, they were not adjusted correctly at the factory. He had lots of wind and road noise until the dealer adjusted all of the doors.
-Recently recalled for airbag deployment when starting the truck

I can find similar stories from a few Titan owners, but I can surely say F-150 deserves to be on that list.

Oh, one other thing too...it all depends on how a dealer writes up a problem when a vehicle is brought in for service. They can actually not write it up as a warranty repair, they can make a ticket on the vehicle that doesn't classify as an "issue" thereby hiding any known problems of a certain vehicle line. According to my friend with the F-150, they'd just fix it and give it back to him without paperwork. And of course since the shudder while towing hasn't been solved, that one is also not on the books.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Haha. If I want to buy a vaccum I'll look at consumer reports, but they know absolutely jack **** about cars. Period.

·
Vendor
7,924 Posts
Funny, I've passed fords, dodges and chevys on the side of the road and not yet passed a titan. 101 k on mine and its never let me down.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
There are also 100000x more domestic trucks on the roads then the Titan.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts