Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on the Ford F150 engine videos posted on their website? Seems pretty incredible to me but I'm easily taken in by advertising. Was it a V-6?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
99 views and 0 opinions?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
just watched the videos. ford has done some amazing things this year. i guess they were saving their $ for research and development all this time they've been using the 5.4. obviously the ecotech, 5.0, and 6.2 are amazing but honestly, their little 3.7 v6 seems pretty stout for what it is. they can supposedly tow close to what non bigtow Ts can. perfect fleet truck for sure. the rest of the crowd...especially nissan better get on their ****.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
i will say though..it seems as if they focused more on HP rather than TQ. for a car thats fine but not a truck. its honestly pointless for a truck to be fast IMO....as fun as it may be. companies over all seem to be pulling more and more away from the roots in many ways.

·
Registered
236 Posts
just watched the videos. ford has done some amazing things this year. i guess they were saving their $ for research and development all this time they've been using the 5.4. obviously the ecotech, 5.0, and 6.2 are amazing but honestly, their little 3.7 v6 seems pretty stout for what it is. they can supposedly tow close to what non bigtow Ts can. perfect fleet truck for sure. the rest of the crowd...especially nissan better get on their ****.
The ecoboost twin turbo 6 will kill our titans in a tow contest even with big tow.

That truck has an extra gear in the box, and makes 420Lb ft right off idle.

At high altitudes and hot temps the twin turbo V6 will make full power where our naturally aspirated v8 will nose down big time.

Ive driven one - Its highly impressive.

Uncle Dave

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I have to give kudos to Ford for their work...however, I'd never send a turbo'd 6 to do the work of an 8. I'm sure it's a fine motor but that's just waiting to blow up....like all Fords TD 350s.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found myself to be very impressed with the videos expecially for an engine that size to out tow the big V-8's. I did notice Ford didn't choose the Titan or Tundra as competition.

I bought my truck back in 2004 and only regret not having the power rear window. I enjoy not only the drive but just walking up to the truck but in my opinion there really hasn't been too many changes/updates aside from badges and package names in the past seven years.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I found myself to be very impressed with the videos expecially for an engine that size to out tow the big V-8's. I did notice Ford didn't choose the Titan or Tundra as competition.

I bought my truck back in 2004 and only regret not having the power rear window. I enjoy not only the drive but just walking up to the truck but in my opinion there really hasn't been too many changes/updates aside from badges and package names in the past seven years.
Drive an 08+. The upgrades are worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The ecoboost twin turbo 6 will kill our titans in a tow contest even with big tow.

That truck has an extra gear in the box, and makes 420Lb ft right off idle.

At high altitudes and hot temps the twin turbo V6 will make full power where our naturally aspirated v8 will nose down big time.

Ive driven one - Its highly impressive.

Uncle Dave

Have you driven them back to back? I mean how they feel unloaded compared to each other? A 30 lb ft difference of torque should be noticeable.

I give Ford props for doing a hot Turbo V6 in a fullsized truck. The only thing that came close in concept was the GMC Syclone back in the early 90's, but that was for a different market with an ancient engine.

Don't all the F-150's (except for the N/A 3.7L) have the 6sp auto tranny now?

It would have better if Ford did a small V8 with a turbo instead of a V6. However, the V6 will get a few mpg more which will help to sell it with looming $4.00+ gallon gas prices. At least it gives consumers a choice in the half ton segement other than going full tilt boogie to the more expensive 1 ton turbo diesels.

The only thing I could see that could hurt sales is that the market is brainwashed by people who want only a big V8 engine for their truck. The thoughts of having a small highly stressed V6 that sounds like a Honda in their big macho 1/2 ton might give them chills.

I don't how much mod potential the turbo 3.7L would have either since Ford probably maxed out the power ratings for advertised figures. With today's engines being as efficient as they are, there may not be much performance potential to be had like with the other engines.

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
They had one video where they did a teardown of a turbo V-6 at an auto show and had their team spec everything as it was pulled apart. It had a total of 165k miles on it. They did a dyno stress, and a bunch of other tests. Surprisingly it was all within spec of a brand new motor. Pretty impressive in my opinion. I think Nissan needs to start listening to us though. I would love to see a 3/4 or 1 ton Titan with a turbo diesel and a much better rearend. I would also like to see the king cab bed on the crew cab already, my bed is just a little too short, but the king cab is just a little too small for my wife and I. I've already looked at the diesels from the big three, I'm impressed with the F-350, but I still have more legroom. Oh yeah, i'm not interested in the payment to go with those trucks either. I would be carrying roughly 10k negative, the guy said my payments would be in the 950+ range...I thought 650 was bad...No Thank You!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have you driven them back to back? I mean how they feel unloaded compared to each other? A 30 lb ft difference of torque should be noticeable.

I give Ford props for doing a hot Turbo V6 in a fullsized truck. The only thing that came close in concept was the GMC Syclone back in the early 90's, but that was for a different market with an ancient engine.

Don't all the F-150's (except for the N/A 3.7L) have the 6sp auto tranny now?

It would have better if Ford did a small V8 with a turbo instead of a V6. However, the V6 will get a few mpg more which will help to sell it with looming $4.00+ gallon gas prices. At least it gives consumers a choice in the half ton segement other than going full tilt boogie to the more expensive 1 ton turbo diesels.

The only thing I could see that could hurt sales is that the market is brainwashed by people who want only a big V8 engine for their truck. The thoughts of having a small highly stressed V6 that sounds like a Honda in their big macho 1/2 ton might give them chills.

I don't how much mod potential the turbo 3.7L would have either since Ford probably maxed out the power ratings for advertised figures. With today's engines being as efficient as they are, there may not be much performance potential to be had like with the other engines.
Let me start by saying I love my titan and am a big fan and have had 7 years of fun putting away my buddies chevies and fords and dodges.

You can get like 5 engines for an F150 now. You can get a small 5L to a pretty big 6.2 V8 thats just wicked but equally thirsty. Not sure what the "in between" v8 is because (5.4?) Im not interested after looking at and driving the twin turbo V6.

Yes I did drive them back to back. I drove my titan to where the ford was and we did everything but race and tow.

It was a new truck with a window sticker and dealer plates.

The 30 lb makes a bigger difference than you would think because its all right there off idle - and with another gear in the box you can use the spread better.

The ecoboost comes out of the "box" with alarming force where my titan has to build up steam to start the hard pull - and the titan rocks.

Im struggling with this or going to a 3/4 ton diesel and being done with gas altogether.

The interior amenities are also at a level thats actually superior to my titan which is kind of laughable considering ford took 7 years to catch up and interior amenities are a huge deal to me so in reality the ecoboost is the first half ton truck Ive even considered leaving my titan for a multitude of reasons.

Im a "nissan guy"- Ive had a maxima, an 06 G35 and the titan so no one can call me a hater.

Check it our for yourself. They have done a great job.

Uncle Dave

·
Registered
236 Posts
Forgot to adress this-

As far as performance potential this mill is just getting started.

There is more room for more - bore, stroke,cams, valves size and turbos.

With variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust as well as direct injection there is ton of performance potential in this mill.

at 365/420 on 89 octane its really tame compared to what It could be putting out.

Uncle Dave

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Dave, You said you drove one. Is there any noticeable lag from the turbos? I drove a 350 the other day and was/wasn't impressed with the interior. It was nice and extremely comfortable. But for a crew cab, I swear my T had more legroom front and back. How's the 150 compare?
-Dave

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dave, You said you drove one. Is there any noticeable lag from the turbos? I drove a 350 the other day and was/wasn't impressed with the interior. It was nice and extremely comfortable. But for a crew cab, I swear my T had more legroom front and back. How's the 150 compare?
-Dave
I've never driven a turbo rig that built boost as low as this rig did.
If I said it had zero lag that wouldn't be the absolute truth - but its as close to zero as I think is actually possible.

I drove the super crew and the rear seat room felt and looked about identical to my CC LE- although it had a flat floor which was really cool and more usable than the humped floor for what I do.

If I had to say maybe titan has 1/8 on it in terms of seat lip to floor, but the flat floor changes the game somewhat.

Its close enough to me where it doesnt matter- and the rear seat problem you speak of is why the chevy never worked for me.

My guests have to ride for up to 6 hours back there and I need a rig with rear seat room.

I dont really like the 350 interior either- this f150 was the first truck in my opinion that is actually nicer than my titan.

UD

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
The GM and Dodge will soon follow in Ford's steps with turbo'd v6's. It's only a matter of time. Supposedly the EcoBoost will get 26 hwy....If I could do an even trade for one I would gladly do so.

I like Ford, GM, and Nissan equally. I've never had problems with my Stang and Ford won me over on that one. Their quality has only been getting better.

Nissan really needs to step it up though. We're losing the fuel economy war and a truck that's looked the same for 7 years now just isn't selling very well. Add more engine options to the Titan and change the appearance a bit. If Nissan doesn't do something quickly, there won't be a Titan much longer.

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
I'm actually even on my truck finally, I owe what it's potentially worth in a general resale. I'm thinking about going and taking one of the new ecoboost trucks for a spin. I could really go for some decent city mileage, a longer bed, and the extra towing would certainly be nice. The interior quality a few years ago was pretty crappy, but my brother in law just bought a new fusion a couple months back. I was pretty impressed with that thing! So we'll see, 1st things 1st, get in touch and schedule a test drive.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I guess we'll have to wait til 2013 for titans to get a diesel. I have a friend that works for cummins in Indiana an said they're gonna build motors for possibly an hd version Titan but was told it was definitely for Titan

·
Registered
236 Posts
The GM and Dodge will soon follow in Ford's steps with turbo'd v6's. It's only a matter of time. Supposedly the EcoBoost will get 26 hwy....If I could do an even trade for one I would gladly do so.

I like Ford, GM, and Nissan equally. I've never had problems with my Stang and Ford won me over on that one. Their quality has only been getting better.

Nissan really needs to step it up though. We're losing the fuel economy war and a truck that's looked the same for 7 years now just isn't selling very well. Add more engine options to the Titan and change the appearance a bit. If Nissan doesn't do something quickly, there won't be a Titan much longer.
The 4x4 3:73 super cab Ecoboost WILL NOT get 20 much less 26 on the freeway.

Ive been all over the report form overs and they are getting 15-18 in that config.

The 4x2 2 door with 3:15 gears gets about 23-24.

Uncle Dave

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree with nissan needing to listen. Their biggest feedback for the T comes from these forums. I KNOW someone in the company looks at these sites. they need to be fired for not taking this seriously. The Titan has so much potential for so much more, but someone is asleep at the wheel.

something small i found. had the T in for repairs a yr back. they put me in a Altima. I fell in love with this car just because of the Keyless option. i just walked up to the car, grabbed the handle and it unlocked. jumped in, pushed a button and started rolling. just a keyfab. no turning of a key needed. i loved that push button feature. i know certain model Titans have the remote start and all, but i like not having to take my keys out of my pocket. its a small feature, but makes a big difference. if they can put it in an altima, i know they can put it in a Titan.

We need to start writing this company, and direct some attention to these forums and maybe they'll notice what the consumers want.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts