Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a fork horn this morning. This weekend was a buck or doe management weekend on a refuge near where I live. He walked up on me at 7:00 AM and we saw each other at the same time. The only clear shot I had was at his face. You can see the entry wound on his nose. A 180 grain chunk of lead makes a nasty mess of a deer head. Not a trophy, but a nice addition to my feeezer!

The last picture shows my Titan looking it's best!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yea...I shot him with my .308 and 180 grain Rem Core Lokt Ultras at about 60 yards. I am a firm believer in bonded bullets because I can't stand picking pieces of lead out of my venison. Can you believe that the bullet did not exit. It stopped just under the hide on the back side of the spine. Every ounce of energy was absorbed by this buck's head and neck. I guess that's why he flipped over backwards when hit. Amazing.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Nice job, I usually shot my does in the head also. Never have to track them that way. What kind of bullets are you using, you said they were 180 gr bonded, but what kind? I am currently using the old 150 gr winchester silvertips and they do a great job, but they quite making them. They are getting real hard to find. I am thinking of switching to the bonded bear claw, or something similiar.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
helomech said:
What kind of bullets are you using
Remington Core Lokt Ultras. That's what I am currently using in my 308. When this box runs out I think I am going to try Federal Fusions. I have also used Hornady Interbonds with good results.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
07cajuntitan said:
Remington Core Lokt Ultras. That's what I am currently using in my 308. When this box runs out I think I am going to try Federal Fusions. I have also used Hornady Interbonds with good results.
I am using the federal fusions in my .357mag, and it does a great job on hogs. I will probably be switching my sons rifle to the remington core lokts. It is the only good bullets that I can seem to find in 7.62X39.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
helomech said:
I will probably be switching my sons rifle to the remington core lokts. It is the only good bullets that I can seem to find in 7.62X39.
Just to be clear...Core Lokts & Core Lokt Ultras are vastly different. The regular Core Lokts are not bonded, although still a good bullet.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
07cajuntitan said:
Just to be clear...Core Lokts & Core Lokt Ultras are vastly different. The regular Core Lokts are not bonded, although still a good bullet.
I didn't know that, but I am really limited on a good bullet in 7.62X39. I am always looking around for different bullets. Very few manufacturers make one.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Cajun weigh that bullet and see how much weight it retained, that is great indicater of how well a bullet is constructed. If you can't weigh it take it to a pawn shop that sells jewly and measure in grains or 1/1000 of a pound.

Oh and nice shot on nice buck, unless you were aiming elsewere:)

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
helo if your looking for good factory ammo I think you can get Hornady light magnums in 7.62X39. The bullets used is Hornady ballistic tip which hold together much better than the Winchester Supreme ammo that uses Nosler Ballistic bullets.

I still prefer lead tipped bonded bullets. My bullet of choice for Whitetail under 300 yards 150gr Hornady spire point for my 30.06 and .270wsm.

You can always handload for your 7.62X39, that way you can use what ever bullet you want. I have been loading for many years and if you ever start it you can't stop.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Shane06fl said:
helo if your looking for good factory ammo I think you can get Hornady light magnums in 7.62X39. The bullets used is Hornady ballistic tip which hold together much better than the Winchester Supreme ammo that uses Nosler Ballistic bullets.

I still prefer lead tipped bonded bullets. My bullet of choice for Whitetail under 300 yards 150gr Hornady spire point for my 30.06 and .270wsm.

You can always handload for your 7.62X39, that way you can use what ever bullet you want. I have been loading for many years and if you ever start it you can't stop.
I also reload, but I haven't yet reloaded 7.62X39. I think the 7.62 uses a .311 bullet, instead of a .308 bullet that is found in the U.S. .30 call bullets. I also use a .30-06, but this bullet is for my kids. I will look and see if I can find some bullets I can reload for it.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Helo, Speer makes them in .311 and Hornady .312. Why?? I don't know. I will have to ask my friend that loads for it and see what he uses.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Shane06fl said:
Helo, Speer makes them in .311 and Hornady .312. Why?? I don't know. I will have to ask my friend that loads for it and see what he uses.
Cool, thanks for the info and please let me know what you find.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cajun weigh that bullet and see how much weight it retained, that is great indicater of how well a bullet is constructed. If you can't weigh it take it to a pawn shop that sells jewly and measure in grains or 1/1000 of a pound.:)
I finally got around to weighing what's left of the bullet. 150.5 grains left from 180. 83.6% weight retention - Pretty impressive when you think about the amount of bone it went through. The bullet travelled up through the nasal cavity, through the bottom of the brain, through the spine @ the brain stem & stopped just under the hide at the back of the neck.

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
I got a fork horn this morning. This weekend was a buck or doe management weekend on a refuge near where I live. He walked up on me at 7:00 AM and we saw each other at the same time. The only clear shot I had was at his face. You can see the entry wound on his nose. A 180 grain chunk of lead makes a nasty mess of a deer head. Not a trophy, but a nice addition to my feeezer!

The last picture shows my Titan looking it's best!!!
Nice shot, HONDA RANCHER FTW!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I finally got around to weighing what's left of the bullet. 150.5 grains left from 180. 83.6% weight retention - Pretty impressive when you think about the amount of bone it went through. The bullet travelled up through the nasal cavity, through the bottom of the brain, through the spine @ the brain stem & stopped just under the hide at the back of the neck.
Thats pretty good for sure. Anytime you can retain 85% of the original bullet weight the bullet did a fine job. Not to mention a dead deer is exactly what you want. Back before I reloaded I use to shoot the Winchester 150gr Spire point and always had complete pass throughs so i never new what the bullet was doing other than killing the deer. Finally on a shot that was just right the bullet lodged under the skin on the other side, no bone was hit. the deer dropped in his tracks. The bullet had completely come apart. The lead was a nice mushroom shape but the jacketing was nowhere to be found until I disected the far side lung. YEAH the bullet fell apart in the lung!!! Dead deer yes and bullet did what is was suppose to but it failed at the same time. I kept the lead for a long time and finally weighed it. A 150gr bullet only retained 65gr of lead. Not good. Anyhow,just thought I would share.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts