Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update in THIS thread

Long story short, pulled the rear wheel/caliper/rotor and all the parking brake components fell into the pile you see here.

Yeah, most likely this is going to cost me a few $$$

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
rockauto.com isn't too bad on the parking brake stuff. They have a cheap hardware kit with the springs, clips, adjuster, but I dunno about the toggle.

The parking brake manual is in this thread http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-howto-area/123384-replacing-axle-seals-w-pics.html

Post 23 is how I put the parking brake back together, although maybe you can figure out a better way.

Not sure from the pic, but did the slotted end of the cable break off?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would just ditch the parking brake...

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The parking brake arrangement on the Titan is certainly not the pinnacle of automotive technology, but the parts are fairly cheap and the fix is not too hard. You can certainly run w/o the parking brake while awaiting parts. Many Titans have non-functional parking brakes because they are not adjusted or they have been greased from axle seal leaks.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have never even used mine...no idea if it works.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Ive used mine a couple times when i park on a slope, but when i put it in park, and the brake on, it still slides back and rests on the gears, then when i leave, i forget to take it off, and its like its not doing anything, at first it use to squeal loud and make noise, but just yesterday, nothing happened:huh:. I might wanna go check mine out!

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Not using your ebrake puts extra stress on the parking gear of the transmission.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Samething happened to mine. Didnt fix mine though . Im gonna try when the weather breaks. Could over tightening the lugs cause this? Cause a shop rotated my tires once and it happened a little after . When i went to take the tire off the lugs were hard as hell to get off.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not using your ebrake puts extra stress on the parking gear of the transmission.
its not a "gear" its a tapered pin that engages the output drum of the transmission, they can and do wear out especially when some people do not come to a complete stop before putting it in park.

you are correct on the part of putting extra stress on the parking pin by not using your ebrake especially on a slope, the pressure on the pin can be so great that removing it from park can be impossible requiring another vehicle to push the other a bit up slope to get it to release.

·
Registered
173 Posts
its not designed to be a parking brake, it is an Emergency Braking System, in case your main hydraulic brake system fails, which they can and do.

Trust me its not a fun experience at 55mph had that happen on a 99 F250 (my company's shop truck) when the right front caliper piston seal failed and blew all the brake fluid out, I was able to limp it back for repairs (and a change of shorts)using the Ebrake. I now use my ebrake frequently so the cable dont rust in its housing and its always properly adjusted!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Best - I'll look into your links and see what it takes. I'm pretty good at putting stuff back together, that *I* removed. Not so much when something explodes... :D

I pretty much use the parking/emergency brake once a year - State Inspection time And THAT is why I have to repair it. Personally, I could (and have) lived without it. But the state of VA tells me otherwise.

It's a good thing the seal doesn't leak as the rotor was hot enough to fry an egg. My 99' Silverado used to get the caliper piston stuck and wear out the pads along with getting the rotor hot. Naturally, I thought I was having the same problem with the Titan until the caliper checked out ok. It didn't take much more investigating to reveal the cause.

Strangely enough, I bought the 6 year extended warranty which has a few months left on it. I wonder if it'll be covered?
PS - the truck is an 05' with 75k on the odometer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is exactly what happen to my e brake. My brother just gave me a 05 Titan and I wanted to transfer the title fro VA to TX. I need an inspection first so I figured I try the lights, etc before I head to the inspection station...then I try the e brake and nothing. I do the pedal adjustment and it holds ever so slightly, not enough to hold if you give any gas. I take the left one off and it all comes tumbling out. I am trying to figure out how it works!

Quick question......is there suppose to be an "eyelet" on the end of the parking cable to attach to the toggle lever? This is what expands the e brake correct? If I am correct then it seared off that part. If so, do I need the whole parking cable?

William

1 - 15 of 15 Posts