Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
i believe i have the 2009 modal of that same travel trailer, and it tows great until you hit high grades it slows you down quite abit. But overall very easy to tow.

·
Registered
385 Posts
We have the 2009 version as well. You'll know it's back there, but tows well. Been up a 6% grade at 50 MPH in 2nd gear with a little space underneath the right pedal. Grades at high altitude or strong headwinds might be challenging. An upgrade to LT tires definitely improves the towing experience. When I ran mine across the scales it came in at 6400 lbs with no food, no water, and empty holding tanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have big tow ?? A little deception here about this truck 6500lbs and 50mph on 6% grade ? Not really a good performer , I changed a Honda Ridgeline because of weak towing capacity and with 5000lbs in the back ( my current rv ) it was at least equal to this number but at His maximum towing capacity !

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do you have big tow ?? A little deception here about this truck 6500lbs and 50mph on 6% grade ? Not really a good performer , I changed a Honda Ridgeline because of weak towing capacity and with 5000lbs in the back ( my current rv ) it was at least equal to this number but at His maximum towing capacity !
Yes, I have the big tow package. That 50 MPH was after I started at the bottom of the hill at 20 MPH. Total distance was about 1 mile. I was by no means "flat out". I was getting to be RPM limited, not speed limited. I didn't attempt to upshift to 3rd figuring I would have run out of steam. I was content to cruise up at 50 MPH.

If you want to run up 6%+ grades with 7K lbs at 65+ MPH, you'll need an oil burner.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have the big tow package. That 50 MPH was after I started at the bottom of the hill at 20 MPH. Total distance was about 1 mile. I was by no means "flat out". I was getting to be RPM limited, not speed limited. I didn't attempt to upshift to 3rd figuring I would have run out of steam. I was content to cruise up at 50 MPH.

If you want to run up 6%+ grades with 7K lbs at 65+ MPH, you'll need an oil burner.

We've got alot of grade here in canada that go over 6% , 10% here is common on rural area

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
Just wondering how this worked out for you. We're about to purchase a travel trailer, 5550 lb dry, should be a thousand more with gear and such, and will be all over the mountains at higher altitudes. If you're working out okay, it'd be good news for us! Would appreciate an update.
Thx!

·
Super Moderator
37,253 Posts
you will be just fine.. I tow over 8000lbs at 29ft and there is no issue

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
We have the 2009 version as well. You'll know it's back there, but tows well. Been up a 6% grade at 50 MPH in 2nd gear with a little space underneath the right pedal. Grades at high altitude or strong headwinds might be challenging. An upgrade to LT tires definitely improves the towing experience. When I ran mine across the scales it came in at 6400 lbs with no food, no water, and empty holding tanks.
You should never need to drop to 2nd gear if you have the 3.36 gears and stock size tires towing anything under 8000lbs. 3rd gear, 3500 RPM's you can maintain 55mph on a 6% grade with ease. My first trip through the Mountains towing mt TT I was amazed how I was passing every thing on the rode towing a trailer when climbing grades. Numerous 6% and 7% grades and never once felt underpowered.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally bought it , I hope that my swb will not be to much instable with this trailer , probably not worse than my trail-cruiser with his light front end , in theory I can put 1000lbs on the hitch with WDH , I'm really not sure if the stock nissan hitch his design for this much weight , thinking about changing it for a reese , what do you think ???

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I got a UHAUL Class 3 hitch thats rated for 6000lbs and 10000 distributed that ive used once for 5 minutes! If i don't sell it its going to be sitting in my garage. Let me know if you want it :teethmast

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm really not sure if the stock nissan hitch his design for this much weight , thinking about changing it for a reese , what do you think ???
Well, if you follow the owner's manual, the max tongue weight is 10% of whatever your particular model can tow, which is usually less that 1000 lbs. However, the receiver itself should have a sticker on it saying it's rated for 1000 lbs. Mine had one until it finally peeled off. You won't find any aftermarket hitches for the Titan that are rated for more than 1000 lbs.

Since your loaded TW will be in the 900-1000 lb range, I would go with 1200 lb WD bars. I'd rather be at 80% of the bar's capacity than 100% (as with 1000 lb bars).

·
Registered
811 Posts
The hitch form Nissan will be fine. I pull my 33 footer at about 7K# with no problems. My WD bars are rated for 1K# and everything is fine. The wheelbase does make a difference towing with that long of a trailer. Make sure to get a good antisway control. I went form an 05 KC to an 08 CC LWB and what a difference it made. A lot less sway but a lot more room needed to turn. Just keep it under 70MPH and you will be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey All,
I know the scale is a little smaller here, but we just went ahead and bought at 28' tt, 5400 lbs dry, 6800 loaded with water and all, with an 800 lb tongue weight, 800-1200 lb eq bars, and one of the friction anti-sway bars by Husky. Like it's been said on various forums, she cruised well on the flats at 2600 rpm, and on the steeper uphill grades at high altitude she settled in at 3500 rpm, 65mph, and could run there all day long with power to spare. I will be upgrading to a set of load range E tires and am putting the firestone airbags in this weekend, but truth be told I'm sure I could get away without that (though you have higher numbers than I). I think the E tires will help offset any movement from the shorter wheel base (cc le) as mentioned by Galaxy wd. And I'm sure there would be no benefit to swapping from the factory receiver hitch. I was really pleasantly surprised with how she pulled. Hope this gives you a decent point of reference.

·
Super Moderator
37,253 Posts
ewalbridge,

Be sure to look at the Air lift air bags ... they ride better when you are empty. I have had both .. :) Just a heads up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the new hitch design from 2009 , the hitch is not rate on it and the design looked weak , I changed my rancho for bilstein and this made a big difference with my current TT ( 5000lbs ) , maybe a RAS kit ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Couples of miles with my new TT , around 7K loaded , power is non issue , but the heavy tongue weight of around 1100lbs scared me of brokin the hitch receiver , the hitch appear to be build for around 1000lbs and even with this load the titan is not bottomed out !

·
Registered
385 Posts
All you can do with the tongue weight is move more heavy stuff to the back. (but not too much!) Those front storage areas can be a killer in the tongue weight department. I moved my grill propane tank, tools, and bottle jack to the back to help. If you have 30 lb propane tanks, only fill one. We don't use more than 20 lbs per season. Even less if we use the water heater in electric mode.

Unfortunately, higher rated hitches don't exist for the Titan.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All people here probably overload their hitch , I saw one with a rockwood 8306ss , 2 other one with 318 bhs and another one with a jayflight and everyone loaded problably go over 1000lbs so whats the deal ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts